• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Wow, day 14 ticket sales for RoS fell off a cliff.

I'm actually shocked. Knowing how fanatical Star Wars fans are, along with the general audience fascination, I wouldn't have expected that level of drop-off.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

RoS's domestic total is currently 10.3% lower compared to The Last Jedi by Day 14. Same-day results by Day 14, The Last Jedi was 52.8% higher.

starwars01.thumb.PNG.160cdacee71fc0cdd04752bdf4bffe34.PNG

Time will tell if this trend continues.

They restated yesterday's results, and it was higher by $74,735 total. :eek:

starwars01.thumb.PNG.ed4750e84f610a1f4097971fa90b7639.PNG

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Brie Larson never seriously said she did ALL her own stunts in Captain Marvel, but she did do an inordinate amount of her own stunts.

:roflmao:

Please stop. I just spit my water out laughing.

Since the release of The Rise of Skywalker, viewers have been divided over their feelings about the film. This came to a head Thursday as an anonymous, unverified Reddit post suggested that the film was subject to a significant amount of studio meddling, prompting the hashtag #ReleaseTheJJCut to trend across social media. While Monaghan didn’t speak to these latest conspiracy theories, he does wish for the release of a director’s cut given the sheer volume of unused footage that Abrams shot.

“Like a lot of Star Wars fans, I’m hoping there will be a director’s cut so we’ll get to see more and more of the stuff that was filmed,” Monaghan tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I wasn’t there all the time, but even in the short time that I was there, there was so much stuff filmed that didn’t make it to the theatrical version.... Oh, man, there was so much stuff!”

Monaghan also alludes to a cut scene involving his character, Beaumont Kin, Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose and Billie Lourd’s Lieutenant Connix, which aligns with Tran’s own account of unused final battle footage.

“Another thing that we will hopefully see at some point in the future is that in the final battle, Connix injures her leg,” Monaghan reveals. “Obviously, myself, Rose and Connix are exiting the battle, and Rose has a weapon. While Rose is busy doing stuff, I grab Connix’s arm and put it over my shoulder to make sure that all of us come back as unscathed as possible.”

8 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

The level of distaste and disapproval of this actress is fascinating. 

Distaste? Not from me.

I thought she was fantastic in Scott Pilgrim and Kong: Skull Island. Captain Marvel, mediocre due to the story.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Distaste? Not from me.

I thought she was fantastic in Scott Pilgrim and Kong: Skull Island. Captain Marvel, mediocre due to the story.

There are two mediocre MCU films: Incredible Hulk and Thor Dark World. The first movie resulted in the Hulk being recast. The second was so drab and mediocre that Chris Hemsworth wanted out after his contract was finished because he'd gotten bored with the character (as we all were) until Thor was revitalized under Taika Waititi. Every other Marvel Studios film has been a solid building block in that great fortress of entertainment called the MCU.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:21 PM, mattn792 said:

TFA is far, far better.  Derivation aside, it kicked off what should have been the next wave of original episodes.

ROS is a mindless circle jerk that was put out to make 10 figures for Disney and hopefully shut people up about TLJ.

While we’re on the topic of better, TLJ is abysmally bad, but is also better than ROS.  Rian Johnson epically failed, but he at least tried.  Abrams proved he’s an unimaginative hack with ROS.

At least Force Awakens breathed a little more, whereas Rise of Skywalker admittedly was busily stuffed with plot points. But I can hardly even go back and watch FA it failed in so many ways, yet admittedly succeeded in a few.

Force Awakens failed out the gate by essentially bringing back the Empire and throwing the hard fought victory by Luke, Leia, Han and the rest into the toilet. What was the point of the Original Trilogy? After meeting geritol Han Solo and Chewie again, we get some pointless alien monster chase on their pirate ship (btw, pirates? seriously? they went back to that way of living?) that took way too long. We're introduced to Maz Kanata, perhaps one of the most useless and redundant characters ever introduced in Star Wars (there's a reason we saw so little of her in the other movies). We get to see the awesome power of the preposterously overpowered Death Star mimicking StarKiller base. The scene were StarKiller wipes out an entire solar system completely took me out of the movie as my suspension of disbelief was suspended. It's ridiculous even for Star Wars. Couldn't it just destroy a star instead like its namesake? Tying the movie together was this weird vaguely-reasoned search for Luke Skywalker. A New Hope gave us  Death Star plans in a droid. Force Awakens gives us the missing chunk of some map to Luke's island which accomplishes nothing in FA or LJ anyway. Force Awakens only manages to salvage itself by giving us the mystery of Rey's Force powers and the cliffhanger of seeing Luke Skywalker in the flesh for the first time in 30 years. That was enough to drive interest for the sequel.

But then Last Jedi tries to deconstruct it all and ends up dividing its fan base instead. Oh well.

With Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS AHEAD, WE'RE PAST THE MORATORIUM, RIGHT?), at least we got to see a lot of cool Star Wars moments tied together by the thin plot thread of trying to find Exegal to defeat the reborn Emperor once and for all, which is a better plot line than trying to find the missing chunk of a map to Luke's island. With ROS, we got to see Leia finally as a Jedi Master and see her wield a light saber for the first time. We got to see the Force as something other than a fancy way to trick people and move things by pointing at it. The Force can heal? That was kind of cool and a bit of a revelation. ROS redeems Luke's mission on the island and makes Luke a hero again. There were a lot of rising moments like seeing the rest of the galaxy arrive on Exegal giving us a true "star war," or the ex-Stormtroopers charging the Imperial Destroyer on horseback, the classic nature vs machine theme of Star Wars. It was moving to see C3P0 finally have a scene where he is the emotional center, short lived as it was. We're introduced to Force possession, another revelation, which is Palpatine's plan with Rey all along, but is then turned on him when Rey is Force possessed herself and becomes a vessel for every Jedi ever. That was kind of cool, I thought. The ending for me was one of the most emotional moments ever in a Star Wars movie, Rey, knowing who she is, choosing who she wants to be. Rise of Skywalker gives us Star Wars as it ought to be, a fun sci-fi fantasy adventure with no deconstructionist social commentary bulls---. It's the best movie in the new Trilogy.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, fantastic_four said:
On 12/29/2019 at 11:53 AM, october said:

It's my favorite scene from any Star Wars movie, period. 

My top ten Star Wars sequences:

1. Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan (Phantom Menace)
  2. Vader hallway (Rogue One)
  3. Yoda vs. Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
  4. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous's fleet (opening sequence from Revenge of the Sith)
  5. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (end of Revenge of the Sith)
  6. Millennium Falcon vs. Imperial fleet (Empire Strikes Back)
  7. Millennium Falcon vs. Imperial fleet at Death Star 2 (Return of the Jedi)
  8. Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous (Revenge of the Sith)
  9. Imperial AT-AT walkers vs. rebel forces on Hoth (Empire Strikes Back)
  10. Clone army vs. Trade Federation army (Attack of the Clones)

How did I forget to insert the end battle from episode 3 of the Mandalorian in there?!?!  doh! It's somewhere in the middle of this list between #5 and #9.  INSANELY rewatchable scene that's a dream come true for Boba Fett fans (details in spoilers for those who haven't seen the show yet):

Spoiler

An army of Boba Fetts flies in and saves the hero?  AAAHHH WHAT IS HAPPENING MIND BLOWN AS CHILDHOOD DREAMS COME TRUUUUUEEE  (worship)

When the movie was over, I said it would have been cooler if they had Vader, Luke, and the rest as ghosts all at once instead of voices. To think they actually had the footage and didn't use it is crazy....:frustrated: