• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

When the movie was over, I said it would have been cooler if they had Vader, Luke, and the rest as ghosts all at once instead of voices. To think they actually had the footage and didn't use it is crazy....:frustrated:

They need it for the next 10 DVD re-releases

This is Disney. Repetitiveness sells, the "Vault" has proven to work.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Collider lead editor is saying the behind-the-scenes fighting rests with the senior executive team.

Though he is not happy with the Palpatine part.

If folks were mad about bringing back Emperor Palantine, then they shouldn’t have brought back the EMPIRE. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If folks were mad about bringing back Emperor Palantine, then they shouldn’t have brought back the EMPIRE. 

Exactly. A lot of people wanted a continuation of the story, not a cash grabbing re-hash.

Speaking of Rotten Tomatoes audience scores. RotS is the MOST manipulated movie score in RT history. with over 33.6 million votes. 32 million of them all casted in one small period of time in 2010 lowering the score from 85% to 64%. Then another 1.5 plus casted in back and forth voting years later. This is roughly 5 times all the other movies combined. 

31 minutes ago, Rip said:

Speaking of Rotten Tomatoes audience scores. RotS is the MOST manipulated movie score in RT history. with over 33.6 million votes. 32 million of them all casted in one small period of time in 2010 lowering the score from 85% to 64%. Then another 1.5 plus casted in back and forth voting years later. This is roughly 5 times all the other movies combined. 

Wow! I had never heard that.

I met my wife just before that movie came out and we went and saw it 4-5 times. The most fun I've had going to the movies as an adult. The opera scene rates as my personal favorite of all the movies.

Another negative for hitting TLJ number is the steeper drop off in international numbers.  Both TFA and TLJ had about a 46% domestic to 54% international breakdown.  ROS is now tracking 49% domestic to 51% international.   So if ROS tops out at a high end $550 million domestic this movie will barely clear 1.1 billion, if that ratio holds (I would argue it will narrow more, and domestic % could even pass international).

Again, these are big numbers for any movie that is not MCU, Star War, or even DCEU.  The industry expects more from these movies.  It also breaks the Star Wars cycle where the third movie in the trilogy out performs the second.  The breaking of this trend is what will make these numbers even more disappointing from a perception standpoint.  Disney will be viewed as leaving tons of money on the table, this should have been a $1.5 billion film at worse.

With the two holiday weeks over now, the numbers will drop quickly.  With another 50% plus drop next weekend, ROS will be in the $15 to $18 million range.

Edited by drotto

On 1/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, TupennyConan said:

The level of distaste and disapproval of this actress is fascinating. 

I think it’s because of the “disapproval and distaste” she has shown in public put a lot of fans off. Plus she is rather over rated as actors go, she makes Marisa Tomei (sp?) look like Glenn Close. 

Again, she is making millions playing pretend so It’s still a pretty good deal all around for her.

Edited by zhamlau

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think it’s because of the “disapproval and distaste” she has shown in public put a lot of fans off. Plus she is rather over rated as actors go, she makes Marisa Tomei (sp?) look like Glenn Close. 

Again, she is making millions playing pretend so It’s still a pretty good deal all around for her.

7D5A95EE-454D-4B70-9E21-420BF2BA483F.thumb.jpeg.e779d219f36c5e88140c824a2dfd1d08.jpeg