• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

This movie basically limped it's way to 1 billion.  Maybe it has enough legs left for another 50 million, but that is it. ROS has made 95% of what it is going to at this point.  Adjusted, it will be the second poorest performing Star Wars film. It is fair to say it is at best a 1 billion dollar disappointment. 

Hard to say what the profit is on this one.  I know the reported budget it 275 million, but that seems low given the budget for TLJ was higher, and the rumors of all the last minute changes and reshoots. So given the double the budget for marketing and a safe bet is TROS likely cost Disney 600 to 700 million.  Still nice profit, but it pales to TFA.  So much money left on the table with this film.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

This we should all agree on, the Simpsons hasn't been funny since about 2002.

While I'd agree that throwing class warfare into Star Wars was completely unnecessary, I'd still rather they try to break new ground than just rework some greatest hits and try to disguise them as new material.

Here's a more detailed description of what was in (alleged) --script. Looks like some chunks were never finished but here are a few takeaways:

Poe has a crush on Rey throughout the -script. Rey keeps pushing for Poe to leave, going so far to try to Mind Trick him, but Poe resists. There is a back and forth with Mind Trick and ultimately Rey kisses Poe, causing him to submit to the Mind Trick and leave. 

Rey is still a nobody, but twist....Kylo killed Rey parents.

• Rey stands over Kylo and separates her dual lightsaber. As the force energy surrounds her like a glow, Kylo seethes. He tries to extract the living Force out of Rey. He gets stronger and stands. His face rejuvenates, allowing him to remove the metal attachment. Rey gets weaker, dying she pleads Ben to stop.

• Leia sensing all of this, reaches out to Kylo. She begs him to come home. He feels what Vader felt when confronted with Luke's pain and grabs Rey's hand, returning her life force. "Both the light and the dark swirl within Rey as Kylo is reduced to an empty shell."

• In his dying breath, Kylo reveals Rey's last name is "Solana." He dies.

• Rey lays on the stone slab still injured. "Light fills up the space around her. Particles of energy floating up. She rises with the energy. The light engulfs the frame until we reach a place beyond what we know. The Astral Plane."

• Yoda, Luke, and Obi Wan appear before her. Rey: "Is this death?" Obi-Wan: "In this place, there is no such thing as death." Yoda reveals Rey succeeded were they failed. Luke: "You choose to embrace the dark side and the light. To find the balance within."

• They offer Rey a choice to stay in the comfort of the Astral Plane or to return to the living where she will experience both love/loss. The spirits fade. Obi-Wan: "You are a Jedi, Rey Solana, but you will not be the last."

Edited by Rip

1 minute ago, Rip said:

Here's a more detailed description of what was in (alleged) --script. Looks like some chunks were never finished but here are a few takeaways:

• Rey stands over Kylo and separates her dual lightsaber. As the force energy surrounds her like a glow, Kylo seethes. He tries to extract the living Force out of Rey. He gets stronger and stands. His face rejuvenates, allowing him to remove the metal attachment. Rey gets weaker, dying she pleads Ben to stop.

• Leia sensing all of this, reaches out to Kylo. She begs him to come home. He feels what Vader felt when confronted with Luke's pain and grabs Rey's hand, returning her life force. "Both the light and the dark swirl within Rey as Kylo is reduced to an empty shell."

• Rey lays on the stone slab still injured. "Light fills up the space around her. Particles of energy floating up. She rises with the energy. The light engulfs the frame until we reach a place beyond what we know. The Astral Plane."

• Yoda, Luke, and Obi Wan appear before her. Rey: "Is this death?" Obi-Wan: "In this place, there is no such thing as death." Yoda reveals Rey succeeded were they failed. Luke: "You choose to embrace the dark side and the light. To find the balance within."

• They offer Rey a choice to stay in the comfort of the Astral Plane or to return to the living where she will experience both love/loss. The spirits fade. Obi-Wan: "You are a Jedi, Rey Solana, but you will not be the last."

Had this -script actually been followed, I would certainly hope that they would have toned down the hokier aspects of this particular scene by the final cut, but I really like the concept of someone finally striking the balance between dark & light.

What might have been. 

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

That's actually fantastic. And just like JJ Abrams had planned the entire time.

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

If this -script is real is seems to draw somewhat from the ideas introduced in the Mortis Arc from the Clone Wars. Where the father was grey, the daughter light, and the son dark.  Her we would have essentially the recreation of the father at the sacrifice of the son (Keylo) and the daughter (Rey).  Think it would have been at least a different direction to take things as opposed to the mainly retreading we see I  ROS.

Aslo makes me wish they had just used this trilogy to explore the mystical side from the first film, and perhaps make the Son the bad guy of this entire trilogy. Would have been a new direction to take the entire series, but remain faithful to existing canon. 

Mortis stuff is always interesting and welcome.

For those who haven't seen Clone Wars, or Rebels its worth checking out.

There is another (Unverified) -script out there that goes way more into the Mortis stuff. (I think I posted a link earlier)

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Mortis stuff is always interesting and welcome.

For those who haven't seen Clone Wars, or Rebels its worth checking out.

There is another (Unverified) --script out there that goes way more into the Mortis stuff. (I think I posted a link earlier)

George Lucas reportedly always wanted to explore the Book of Wills in Detail, which essentially was the mystic side of the force, and likely expanded on the idea of the Father, Son , and Duaghter.  I suspect this may have been the driving force behind his 7 to 9 films.  This is just speculation on my part.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Here's a more detailed description of what was in (alleged) ---script. Looks like some chunks were never finished but here are a few takeaways:

Poe has a crush on Rey throughout the --script. Rey keeps pushing for Poe to leave, going so far to try to Mind Trick him, but Poe resists. There is a back and forth with Mind Trick and ultimately Rey kisses Poe, causing him to submit to the Mind Trick and leave. 

This was what I was expecting from the final trilogy and instead we got pandering.

Death of art for the sake of the dollar.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

So while the (alleged) earlier draft was made 11 days Fishers death, this "final version" makes a bunch of changes:

Among some of the biggest changes. No more TOR VALUM, no vampire type powers.  Adds a Darth Maul-like character, Sollony Ren. No more Coruscant, Leia dies and doesn't help in final battle

1. Rey has a chance to kill Kylo, but she doesn’t. She tries to get Ben to come back. She forgives him. He has to make a choice — a different kind of balance.
  2. Sollony shows up and grabs Kylo. She’s too powerful for Rey to fight off. Rey is beaten down, but when the stone debris is about to crush her, Kylo comes in to save her. Rey takes half of her double saber and gives it to Kylo.
  3. Sollony is about to kill Rey, but Ren takes the hit and dies. Then Rey kills Sollony in an age of necessary darkness.  Sollony falls dead.
  4. Almost dead, Rey knows she has to climb the Jedi Spire, clawing her way up. She enters the Force-based transmissions tower. A lot of stuff moving around Rey with Kyber crystals.
  5. She sends her message out to the galaxy with Rey as a projection, saying her full name. Rey Solana. Telling everyone that hope is not lost.
  6. Luke tells Rey that she is a Jedi, but not the last. He will never leave her. Life returns to her.
  7. Rey glows and wondered if she’s dead, but Yoda tells her there is no death with Jedi. But rey is not finished.
Edited by Rip

16 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Had this --script actually been followed, I would certainly hope that they would have toned down the hokier aspects of this particular scene by the final cut, but I really like the concept of someone finally striking the balance between dark & light.

What might have been. 

While it wasn’t necessarily stated in Return of the Jedi, I always thought Luke Skywalker was the one to balance the Force. Luke embraced his emotions and used love to turn Anakin Skywalker back to the light and thus defeat the Emperor.

18 hours ago, drotto said:

Hard to say what the profit is on this one.  I know the reported budget it 275 million, but that seems low given the budget for TLJ was higher, and the rumors of all the last minute changes and reshoots. So given the double the budget for marketing and a safe bet is TROS likely cost Disney 600 to 700 million.  Still nice profit, but it pales to TFA.  So much money left on the table with this film.

As I’ve stated here before, The Last Jedi gave fans no reason to see the next movie other than it’s another Star Wars movie. When Last Jedi was over, all of our questions regarding Rey, Snoke, and Luke were answered. LJ gave fans nothing to look forward to other than a close to the whole First Order thing.

When Empire Strikes Back ended, we were left with the cliffhanger of Han encased in carbonate and our gang already plotting to save him. That was a heck of a cliffhanger to get us excited about the next movie, including “who was the other?” and, oh yeah, that whole Darth Vader/Empire thing. Unlike ESB and Force Awakens, Last Jedi left fans with no incredible cliffhanger. In fact, Last Jedi probably could have ended the “trilogy” there and nobody would have cared.

Fan were divided on the new trilogy because of LJ. A lot of Star Wars fans I personally know just refuse to see Rise of Skywalker because Last Jedi ruined the story for them. “I’ll wait for it on Disney+” is the majority response. Add to that a legion of critics hell bent on trashing Rise of Skywalker because it didn’t follow up on LJ’s “brilliant” deconstruction of Star Wars. With all that going against Skywalker, I’d say passing a billion should be commended.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

51 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As I’ve stated here before, The Last Jedi gave fans no reason to see the next movie other than it’s another Star Wars movie. When Last Jedi was over, all of our questions regarding Rey, Snoke, and Luke were answered. LJ gave fans nothing to look forward to other than a close to the whole First Order thing.

When Empire Strikes Back ended, we were left with the cliffhanger of Han encased in carbonate and our gang already plotting to save him. That was a heck of a cliffhanger to get us excited about the next movie, including “who was the other?” and, oh yeah, that whole Darth Vader/Empire thing. Unlike ESB and Force Awakens, Last Jedi left fans with no incredible cliffhanger. In fact, Last Jedi probably could have ended the “trilogy” there and nobody would have cared.

Fan were divided on the new trilogy because of LJ. A lot of Star Wars fans I personally know just refuse to see Rise of Skywalker because Last Jedi ruined the story for them. “I’ll wait for it on Disney+” is the majority response. Add to that a legion of critics hell bent on trashing Rise of Skywalker because it didn’t follow up on LJ’s “brilliant” deconstruction of Star Wars. With all that going against Skywalker, I’d say passing a billion should be commended.

Well there was one thing from TLJ that should have kept audiences eager for IX and that is “will Leia’s debit card work at the next gas station?” 

I like how making a billion dollars is pretty much glossed over.

If people didn't have such disposable income, this movie shouldn't have busted even. A billion dollars. Think about that. Its ludicrous 

15 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I like how making a billion dollars is pretty much glossed over.

If people didn't have such disposable income, this movie shouldn't have busted even. A billion dollars. Think about that. Its ludicrous 

Heck, a billion dollar box office should be considered a disappointment.  For the concept of Star Wars: Episode IX that is, not the mindless tripe that is Rise of Skywalker, for which a billion actually is an accomplishment.  TFA left the franchise in a spot where Episode VIII should have taken one look at TFA's box office and said "Hold my beer and watch this."  But once Rian Johnson epically screwed that up, and Solo subsequently bombed, Disney restarted in safe mode to protect the brand as best they could. 

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

That's basically been my sentiment. After TLJ, I became pretty disillusioned with Star Wars as a whole and had really little interest in this last movie. I'll see it eventually on Disney+/cable/whenever the blu-ray goes on sale on amazon, but I've no interest in going out to see it in the theater. 

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think all the alleged Trevorrow stuff sucks.

Some of my friends and coworkers have started to go see it - and they've all enjoyed it. Not "love" it, but it feels like Star Wars to them, and they're not disappointed.

Look, two people does not a majority make.

:baiting: