• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

They could've easily pulled a Warner Bros, but Kevin Feige (and Disney?) ain't no artard(s) [thankfully].

I have no idea what you are saying

Just now, IkewithMike said:

I have no idea what you are saying

Warner Bros butchered (30+ minutes) Batman v Superman to make room for more theaters. The Ultimate Edition is cut in a manner that conveys the main characters' motivations.

I'm sure they could've cut 30 mins of story from Endgame if Disney really wanted to try making more $$$$$.

Warner Bros also butchered (about half of) Justice League and removed their director, to try making it 'more like Marvel', just because they thought it would make them more money. Factually, it gave their executives end-year bonuses, instead of delaying the movie to make it more polished and watchable.

Basicallyyyyyyyy... Warner Bros doesn't give their employees any creative freedom. Rumor has it that the Nolan Bros are the only reason that Man of Steel didn't get tampered with.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Warner Bros butchered (30+ minutes) Batman v Superman to make room for more theaters. The Ultimate Edition is cut in a manner that conveys the main characters' motivations.

I'm sure they could've cut 30 mins of story from Endgame if Disney really wanted to try making more $$$$$.

Warner Bros also butchered (about half of) Justice League and removed their director, to try making it 'more like Marvel', just because they thought it would make them more money. Factually, it gave their executives end-year bonuses, instead of delaying the movie to make it more polished and watchable.

Basicallyyyyyyyy... Warner Bros doesn't give their employees any creative freedom. Rumor has it that the Nolan Bros are the only reason that Man of Steel didn't get tampered with.

Thanks, I haven't watched many of Warner's superhero movies, no frame of reference.

40 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The MCU sucks now, bro. Franchise entertainment is dead. Lets get some originality up in our movie theaters again.

Not sure how the MCU sucks now when Phase Four hasn't even started, Black Widow is one of the most anticipated tentpole movies of the year, and everybody's talking about the surprise Disney+ MCU footage from the Super Bowl. The MCU has transcended just being a franchise. Like Star Trek and Star Wars, it's a way of life now.

As far as originality goes (besides there being countless other non-franchise movies that are available for theater goers to see throughout the year), I think and I hope the MCU is going to start pushing the storytelling boundaries into more "artful" cinema because they can afford to (experiment) but also  can't afford not to (have to give audiences something fresh and new). Chloe Zhao (the director of the Eternals) is a very interesting filmmaker choice for a super-hero movie and I'm very very curious to see what she brings to this. Maybe a new perspective on traditional super-hero based films? Maybe. ANd maybe they can shut Martin Scorsese up.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not sure how the MCU sucks now when Phase Four hasn't even started, Black Widow is one of the most anticipated tentpole movies of the year, and everybody's talking about the surprise Disney+ MCU footage from the Super Bowl. The MCU has transcended just being a franchise. Like Star Trek and Star Wars, it's a way of life now.

As far as originality goes (besides there being countless other non-franchise movies that are available for theater goers to see throughout the year), I think and I hope the MCU is going to start pushing the storytelling boundaries into more "artful" cinema because they can afford to (experiment) but also  can't afford not to (have to give audiences something fresh and new). Chloe Zhao (the director of the Eternals) is a very interesting filmmaker choice for a super-hero movie and I'm very very curious to see what she brings to this. Maybe a new perspective on traditional super-hero based films? Maybe. ANd maybe they can shut Martin Scorsese up.

Lol how? By potentially introducing a new Black Widow from 2016...?

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Tentpole of course being the main adjective here, for many reasons.

It was a sad day for me when Scarlett Johansson stated she did not believe in monogamy.

55 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Understood. I just think it's odd to include Rogue One and not Solo.

They're co-equal one-off "Star Wars Stories" - to include one and not the other is putting your thumb on the scale - and (for instance) making the box office take of ROS seem worse than it is in terms of the true average of the five new films.

Unfortunately, some use this term when their statistical debating communication skills are lacking. So much easier to just imply the other person is forcing a view because the math just doesn't add up for them. Yet...

Again, ROS is a major capstone event of a 40-year franchise before Lucasfilms moves on to the next set of stories. Is this how big a film of this caliber is supposed to land?

DC_MCU_BO200205c.thumb.PNG.749ed5994111465993e86382ada143fc.PNG

How big is the potential for a capstone film of a major franchise? I think Disney already has a baseline to consider, right? With an 11-year franchise.

DC_MCU_BO200205d.thumb.PNG.379e7d5711337faf2eee8ea33833b82e.PNG

The domestic market, if the story landed impactfully enough, should be massive. Like put it over the top-massive. Yet it is lagging behind three of the films noted (though I consider Force Awakens as the massive awakening in itself Star Wars was back - to be fair).

SW_7.thumb.PNG.3dd19cd7e1291ece8a7af057eabca928.PNG

I know. Too much details for some. Better to declare 'propaganda' or 'thumb on scale'. :insane:

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's highly anticipated because it's not only finally a new MCU movie, but one featuring a fan favorite OG Avenger and it looks awesome so far.

From my POV - it's mildly anticipated.

I was questioning the alleged "tentpole" word being thrown into this more than that.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I know. Too much details for some. Better to declare 'propaganda' or 'thumb on scale'. :insane:

I said 'propaganda' once as a joke with a lol emoji.

You've said it two dozen times since.  Methinks the lady... nevermind.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Someone's memory girdle is showing.

image.png.ca251268aca43cdd182c648cc61e21ee.png

image.png.ed10e44698f8e6cc35dd3ce897f7e9be.png

image.png.dae5d3192188da44a581bfe53c733a0e.png

image.png.8e40de359db53e25b16d5f462235a470.png

:insane::foryou:

Yes, by all means, remind me of the times I reminded you of the time I said "propaganda" once.  Perhaps this is achieving an unintended goal of letting everyone understand that anything that gets under your skin is probably... quite true.

Just now, valiantman said:

Yes, by all means, remind me of the times I reminded you of the time I said "propaganda" once.  Perhaps this is achieving an unintended goal of letting everyone understand that anything that gets under your skin is probably... quite true.

Or,  it demonstrated to everyone else your feelings were so hurt with a quick kidding over a chart, you had to call out your - checks notes - PhD and then attempting to imply I required Google to understand data analysis.

:smile:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Or,  it demonstrated to everyone else your feelings were so hurt with a quick kidding over a chart, you had to call out your - checks notes - PhD and then attempting to imply I required Google to understand data analysis.

:smile:

Ah yes, your dozen mentions of my Ph.D., which I mentioned once, because you need to mention it a dozen times when it's not under your skin.

Just now, valiantman said:

Ah yes, your dozen mentions of my Ph.D., which I mentioned once, because you need to mention it a dozen times when it's not under your skin.

:whistle:

That's what set you off, declaring looking back to admire your PhD. Seriously? Your ego that soft?

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, some use this term when their statistical debating communication skills are lacking. So much easier to just imply the other person is forcing a view because the math just doesn't add up for them. Yet...

Again, ROS is a major capstone event of a 40-year franchise before Lucasfilms moves on to the next set of stories. Is this how big a film of this caliber is supposed to land?

DC_MCU_BO200205c.thumb.PNG.749ed5994111465993e86382ada143fc.PNG

How big is the potential for a capstone film of a major franchise? I think Disney already has a baseline to consider, right? With an 11-year franchise.

DC_MCU_BO200205d.thumb.PNG.379e7d5711337faf2eee8ea33833b82e.PNG

The domestic market, if the story landed impactfully enough, should be massive. Like put it over the top-massive. Yet it is lagging behind three of the films noted (though I consider Force Awakens as the massive awakening in itself Star Wars was back - to be fair).

SW_7.thumb.PNG.3dd19cd7e1291ece8a7af057eabca928.PNG

Reality, taking more than one dataset or metric to indicate there is a hurdle Disney Marketing had to overcome.