• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Good thing the international market had enough juice to pull this movie past Rogue One, because domestic tickets certainly are not.

It is interesting to see Rogue One was domestic-heavy while Rise of Skywalker is international-heavy. Though nothing as massive as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi which are probably a more normal market distribution.

Harrison Ford takes no prisoners.

Recently while speaking with USA Today, Ford spoke about his shock with regard to Abrams asking him to come back for Rise of the Skywalker.

"When JJ asked me to do it, I said, 'Are you kidding? I’m dead!' " Ford explained to USA TODAY, revealing the details of his early conversation with Abrams. "He said, 'Sorta dead. You can do this.' He hadn’t written anything at that time. But he said, 'This is going to be great.' So I said okay. If JJ asked you do something, you’d probably do it too. He’s a very persuasive guy."

As Ford tells it, Han's return for TROS was essential for bringing Kylo Ren's character full circle. It might not have been the satisfying conclusion that some fans had hoped for, but it was a closing of the loop all the same.

"It was a useful addition to the story and the continuing development of Adam Driver's character," Ford says. "And the chance to do another scene with Adam was great."

Before USA Today wrapped their conversation with Ford, they'd reminded him of an ongoing debate between fans that questions Han's ability to come back as a "Force Ghost," considering that his character was not a Jedi or particularly known for being Force sensitive. As you can imagine, Ford had no idea what the hell they were talking about.

"A Force ghost? I don’t know what a Force ghost is," Ford replied. He then lowered his voice to but a whisper before saying "Don’t tell anyone. I’m not talking loud enough for your recorder. I have no :censored: idea what a Force ghost is. And I don’t care!"

The novelization of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker confirms Palpatine was a clone. The Disney era of Star Wars has frequently used novelizations to tie up loose ends from the films themselves. In the case of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the film had a startling number of plot holes that writer Rae Carson will surely be hoping to navigate.

Marketing for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker had emphasized the unexpected return of Emperor Palpatine, and moviegoers were eager to learn how Darth Sidious had survived his death in Return of the Jedi. Remarkably, the film avoided explaining it at all; the Emperor hand-waved the question away with a quote from Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider unnatural," he observed. It's generally been assumed Carson's novelization will shed a little more light on matters.

Although the novelization isn't officially on sale until March 17, Lucasfilm Publishing decided to sell advance copies at this weekend's C2E2 in Chicago and passages have begun appearing online. The book does indeed confirm that the Emperor's spirit has been transferred into a clone body. When Kylo Ren arrives on Exegol and encounters Palpatine, he looks closely at the machinery the Emperor is physically attached to, and recognizes it from his studies of the Clone Wars. He then deduces Palpatine's dark side spirit is too strong for the clone body, and is causing serious degeneration to it.

"All the vials were empty of liquid save one, which was nearly depleted. Kylo peered closer. He'd seen this apparatus before, too, when he'd studied the Clone Wars as a boy. The liquid flowing into the living nightmare before him was fighting a losing battle to sustain the Emperor's putrid flesh."

"What could you give me?" Kylo asked. Emperor Palpatine lived, after a fashion, and Kylo could feel in his very bones that this clone body sheltered the Emperor's actual spirit. It was an imperfect vessel, though, unable to contain his immense power. It couldn't last much longer."

There are striking similarities between Palpatine's canon resurrection and his return in the old Expanded Universe. Like Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Tom Veitch's Dark Empire miniseries saw Palpatine return, his spirit migrating to a clone body, and he constructed a vast army that incorporated sophisticated superweapons. George Lucas loved Dark Empire; he considered it the closest thing to his idea of a sequel trilogy, and gave copies to Lucasfilm employees as a Christmas present. The key difference, however, is that in Dark Empire the clone body was actually able to contain the Emperor's spirit.

If he was a clone why was his face scarred like the Emperor's and why was he so old and messed up?  I would expect a new body from Palpatine's DNA to look like a young Palpatine.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

If he was a clone why was his face scarred like the Emperor's and why was he so old and messed up?  I would expect a new body from Palpatine's DNA to look like a young Palpatine.

Just look at Snoke. It looks like his/the Sith's cloning technology is severely inferior to Kamino's.

Snoke looked like carp. lol

30 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just look at Snoke. It looks like his/the Sith's cloning technology is severely inferior to Kamino's.

Snoke looked like carp. lol

That's because Snoke was never meant to be a clone. He was supposed to have been battle scarred and a actual arch nemesis, not the watered down carp we got. And Palpatine wasn't supposed to be in this trilogy.

This IS HOLLLYWOOOOOOOOD

4 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

That's because Snoke was never meant to be a clone. He was supposed to have been battle scarred and a actual arch nemesis, not the watered down carp we got. And Palpatine wasn't supposed to be in this trilogy.

This IS HOLLLYWOOOOOOOOD

#RianJohnsonSux

That we're only getting a novelization of the film *now* shows how gun-shy and fearful Disney's become of doing *anything* that could potentially mess with its box office.

Novelizations are usually released *before* the films, and any deviations from them are because they're written from earlier - not shooting - scripts. But in the end, it's the released film, not the novelization, that's considered canonical.

Example:

The first Star Wars film novelization came out in November 1976 - six months before the film's release. Ditto the Marvel Comics issue # 1.

The novelizations of Batman (1989) and Batman and Robin (1997) both came out well before the respective releases as well. 

That we're seeing the novelization for this come out as the film is nearing the end of its screen run / when it's already out of theaters (March 17?? Really??) is embarrassing.

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The article I read said that Palpatine's original body was deformed by the amount of evil power he amassed.  A clone would be a weaker version of the original body, so the evil took over degrading the body much faster... it seems likely he had given up the hope of any more clones (which he had probably been using up for decades), so he needed Rey's lineage/body to contain his power.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The article I read said that Palpatine's original body was deformed by the amount of evil power he amassed.  A clone would be a weaker version of the original body, so the evil took over degrading the body much faster... it seems likely he had given up the hope of any more clones (which he had probably been using up for decades), so he needed Rey's lineage/body to contain his power.

When did we see any version of the Force deform the user's body?  The only thing they showed us was Palpatine becoming deformed by his own Force lightning when Mace Windu reflected it back at him.

And why would a clone be weaker than the original?  The Clone Troopers were all just as strong as Jango Fett was.  Below is an overview of how we cloned Dolly the sheep back in in the 1990s.  It took 277 tries before it worked, but once it did she was just an exact DNA copy of the original nuclear donor sheep.

Dolly-process-sheep-somatic-cell-nuclear

Edited by fantastic_four

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

When did we see any version of the Force deform the user's body?  The only thing they showed us was Palpatine becoming deformed by his own Force lightning when Mace Windu reflected it back at him.

And why would a clone be weaker than the original?  The Clone Troopers were all just as strong as Jango Fett was

If Jango ever hit a target, he exceeded the abilities of every single clone trooper.

20 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

And why would a clone be weaker than the original?  The Clone Troopers were all just as strong as Jango Fett was.  Below is an overview of how we cloned Dolly the sheep back in in the 1990s.  It took 277 tries before it worked, but once it did she was just an exact DNA copy of the original nuclear donor sheep.

Dolly-process-sheep-somatic-cell-nuclear

Would the future design of cloning lead to the elimination of weak genes through scientific manipulation of some sorts? Without knowing the deep science behind it, I would think that would be the goal to achieve the strongest representation of a being. Unless you wanted to tamper with the gene makeup to purposely make a slightly deformed entity.