• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Would the future design of cloning lead to the elimination of weak genes through scientific manipulation of some sorts? Without knowing the deep science behind it, I would think that would be the goal to achieve the strongest representation of a being. Unless you wanted to tamper with the gene makeup to purposely make a slightly deformed entity.

According to The Island, we eventually get extra backup copies of people who look like both young Obi-wan and young Black Widow.  Of course, that means Disney must be in charge of the cloning. hm

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Would the future design of cloning lead to the elimination of weak genes through scientific manipulation of some sorts? Without knowing the deep science behind it, I would think that would be the goal to achieve the strongest representation of a being. Unless you wanted to tamper with the gene makeup to purposely make a slightly deformed entity.

Yes, but then it isn't cloning, it's genetic engineering.  I agree with you and always wondered why they used cloning at all as opposed to trying to create a race of genetically-engineered super-soldiers along the lines of Captain America.

If you're going to clone I would think you'd start with a VERY exceptional organism to serve as the master, so it makes sense that Baby Yoda might be a clone if we assume his species is particularly Force-sensitive.

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

According to The Island, we eventually get extra backup copies of people who look like both young Obi-wan and young Black Widow.  Of course, that means Disney must be in charge of the cloning. hm

Why of course. Because by then Disney purchased everything for the betterment of mankind. :insane:

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yes, but then it isn't cloning, it's genetic engineering.  I agree with you and always wondered why they used cloning at all as opposed to trying to create a race of genetically-engineered super-soldiers along the lines of Captain America.

If you're going to clone I would think you'd start with a VERY exceptional organism to serve as the master, so it makes sense that Baby Yoda might be a clone if we assume his species is particularly Force-sensitive.

It is a very interesting topic between the two focuses (cloning and genetic engineering).

I loved the film Gattaca that touched on the latter, and how those that did not turn out so perfect (or their parents had insufficient funds to pay for such gene manipulation) ended up in positions in life that reminded them their deficiencies made them less human. Which was totally wrong, dismissing individualism. Another solid Jude Law role, too.

I really liked Gattaca, but it never seemed realistic.  I can't see any democratic society getting hard-segmented into "valids" (the genetically engineered) and "invalids" (natural birth).  It was a vision of a dystopian society that seems to imply there are despotic hands behind its creation.  And the film itself outlined its own unrealistic premise--just because you are genetically superior doesn't mean you have the will to act in a way that is any better than people with worse genes than you may be incented to act.

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

If Jango ever hit a target, he exceeded the abilities of every single clone trooper.

Clone Troopers =/= Storm Troopers

Clone Troopers seemed very effective.  Storm Troopers suck.

That scene in The Mandalorian where the Storm Troopers started firing at the piece of junk on the ground killed me! :roflmao:

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Lmfao is that an outtake from Anchorman...?

All I know is someone needs to replace the server rubberbands again before it explodes from all that data pouring in.

CGC_error.PNG.cf82aa76251b2e1e50e41b3a644dcf1e.PNG

Had to refresh this thread four times before I could respond. :cry:

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Maybe they figured why go all in on advertising a movie that's even worse than TLJ?  (shrug)

The Deadline contributor is a huge Star Wars fan. Like fanatical. To the point when he did the contest the previous year with The Last Jedi, he tweaked the production budget to only show it cost $250M to make when other sites were reporting $317M.

thelastjedi.PNG.a9685e94f8a03a48576d5c99e9c40f5a.PNG