• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Old_Man_Adam said:

Rogue One is fantastic 

Enjoyed Solo first time out...wondered why it got such a luke warm reception.  I thought it was good considering the circumstances behind the scenes.  Rogue, Solo and Mando are enjoyable SW watches in the last few years (cant really get into the animated stuff).  

9 hours ago, akaSteveRogers said:

Enjoyed Solo first time out...wondered why it got such a luke warm reception.  I thought it was good considering the circumstances behind the scenes.  Rogue, Solo and Mando are enjoyable SW watches in the last few years (cant really get into the animated stuff).  

Most of the people that I know (almost all 30-60 years old, grew up on Star Wars) who saw it in theaters primarily said that it didn't feel like Han Solo. I simply think the negatives outweigh the positives.

The music is also huge in Star Wars and I don't think it (the score) helped Solo one bit. That was also something that was severely lacking in TLJ.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Most of the people that I know (almost all 30-60 years old, grew up on Star Wars) who saw it in theaters primarily said that it didn't feel like Han Solo. I simply think the negatives outweigh the positives.

The music is also huge in Star Wars and I don't think it (the score) helped Solo one bit. That was also something that was severely lacking in TLJ.

I've said it before, but Solo's sin was it was simply mediocre - and therefore a missed opportunity.

Nothing particularly bad about it, but honest-to-god Whedon did it better with Firefly 20 years ago -- and on a TV budget.

85% of the plot of Solo was basically the Firefly episodes "The Train Job" and "Trash" mashed together.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Old_Man_Adam said:

Rogue One is fantastic 

Gahd, I hated Rogue One. Granted, I've only seen it once (had no desire to see it again after I almost fell asleep in the movie theater), so it's possible I may like it a little better a second time, but I doubt it.

I thought the plot was uncompelling and a weak "connect the dots" until we got to the main point of how Leia gets the plans.

I thought Jyn Erso was a flat character who did very little (unlike what was hinted in the trailers) and had almost no character arc.

The character animation for General Tarkin and Leia looked just like that, animation.

I hated the movie's Star Wars lore twist, that Jyn's dad put the weak point in the Death Star deliberately. For me, it undermined the work I'd always envisioned the original unnamed spies did in A New Hope, and undermined Luke using the Force to destroy the Death Star.

I thought Vader's scene was overdone. In fact, the whole movie was overdone. I couldn't connect this movie with the world and tone of A New Hope. Too much special effects, too much moving camera, etc. That was one of the great things about The Mandalorian. The way it was shot, the sets, the effects, the tone, and the pace felt like the world of A New Hope.

Rogue One, imo, would've been better as a TV show. Less would have been more, if you know what I mean.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

To elaborate on "the work I'd envisioned the original spies did in A New Hope", what I mean is, I'd always imagined these spies had spent years on the Death Star learning the ins and outs and the engineering of the battle station and found the weak point through genius and hard work. The "fact" that all they had to do was find out the specific weak point built in by Jyn's pop was, to me, lazy and a cheap cop out to create more heroes in the rebellion. Sure, the movie mad over a billion but so did TLJ. I like to ignore Rogue One's existence, as I do the PT, and watch the OT with my own head canon.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To elaborate on "the work I'd envisioned the original spies did in A New Hope", what I mean is, I'd always imagined these spies had spent years on the Death Star learning the ins and outs and the engineering of the battle station and found the weak point through genius and hard work. The "fact" that all they had to do was find out the specific weak point built in by Jyn's pop was, to me, lazy and a cheap cop out to create more heroes in the rebellion. Sure, the movie mad over a billion but so did TLJ. I like to ignore Rogue One's existence, as I do the PT, and watch the OT with my own head canon.

HEADCANNON headCANON

8 hours ago, media_junkie said:

How sad is it that after the cluster f%%k that was "The Last Jedi", I cannot even work up enough desire to watch "The Rise of Skywalker" on Disney+, even though I am already a subscriber to Disney+?

Don't worry, you'd want those two hours of your life back anyway.  In brief summary - if you took the 1980s, tossed them in a blender for 30 seconds, then threw the contents at the wall, you'd have Rise of Skywalker.

Can't believe TLJ got 91% critic rating...must've been paid off!:p

One key question drives the Star Wars sequel trilogy: who is Rey? It’s a question that’s both thematic (who is she, and who does she choose to be?) and literal (who’s she related to?) – and while the ultimate answer proved controversial, actor Daisy Ridley revealed that the exact lineage of Rey changed as the films went on. As The Rise Of Skywalker unfolds, it emerges that – SPOILER WARNING – Rey is actually descended from the not-so-late Emperor Palpatine, and is destined to join him on the Dark Side. Except, Rey ultimately rejects that fate, chooses the path of the Jedi, and restores order to the galaxy. The end.

But speaking to her pal Josh Gad on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Ridley opened up about the changing story of Rey as the films went on.

“At the beginning, there was toying with an Obi-Wan connection," she says. "There were different versions. Then it really went to that she was no one. And then it came to Episode IX and JJ pitched me the film and was like, ‘Oh yeah, Palpatine’s granddaddy.’ I was like, ‘Awesome.’ And then two weeks later he was like, ‘Oh, we’re not sure.’ So it kept changing.”

On 8/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, Wolverinex said:
On 8/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, s-man said:

Can't believe TLJ got 91% critic rating...must've been paid off!:p

Never go buy critics ratings... it's corrupt. User ratings tend to be more accurate

Unless there's some "hater campaign" happening.  A giant group of 1-out-of-10 ratings should be ignored (and the average recalculated).

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Unless there's some "hater campaign" happening.  A giant group of 1-out-of-10 ratings should be ignored (and the average recalculated).

And I wouldn't ignore peeling off all the 10.0/10 ratings as well as that is most probably the hardcore fanatics responding to any score bombing by countering their 1.0/10 ratings.

Captain Marvel had 44K 10.0/10 ratings yet the majority (115K) were 7.0/10.