• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

A large group of people believes the earth is flat. Does that make it true?

I will give the nuanced answer that it is flat at certain scales and not so flat at other scales.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Oh good lord...veiled threat? Where?

I don't have a lot of regrets in this hobby, befriending you for a time is one of them.

I'm sure you'll get over it.

Then again... maybe not.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to live a great life, travel the world, completely forget all about YOU, and whistle zippidy doo dah out my butt all day long.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I'm sure you'll get over it.

Then again... maybe not.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to live a great life, travel the world, completely forget all about YOU, and whistle zippidy doo dah out my butt all day long.

:golfclap:

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

JJ Abrahms used to be an OK guy. Whatever happened to him :whistle:

Another county heard from. If it makes you feel better, I never thought you were an OK guy :whistle:

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Did anyone doubt they'd have Luke back? I think everyone assumed it...the way they had Obi Wan, and Yoda, and Anakin, etc etc. back. I thought it was a given without a doubt. 

I was reading some articles maybe Twitter where they said grown men and women cried when they heard Mark Hamill was returning to the Star Wars franchise.

So I guess the answer was yes some really did think he was gone for good.

:preach:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I was reading some articles maybe Twitter where they said grown men and women over-sized infants cried when they heard Mark Hamill was returning to the Star Wars franchises.

So I guess the answer was yes some really did think he was gone for good.

:preach:

I found VIII to be preachy in places I didn't need a lecture on, let alone a multi billion dollar movie company doing the preaching.

I'll happily watch IX just to get the series over and done with. The original trilogy is the only good thing in this series. It was innovative and fresh for it's time period, kinda like the first Matrix, and like the Matrix, it just got crappy as it goes on...

19 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Maybe one of the toy guys can give us the actual numbers but the toy sales for Solo and TLJ have been at the lowest levels in years.  Nothing but peg warming, and if the kids don't even like these movies they're in trouble.

Toy Guy here... 

The numbers for Solo and TLJ were down from what you would expect from a tentpole movie.  Usually the toys experience a boom during such an event and non movie years experience a decline.

However, the current crop of movies may not be to blame for that. 

If we are talking about Hasbro figure sales then the problem has been poor case assortments, poor distribution, and misdirection of the brand as far as reverting from multi articulated to 70's style 5 Points of Articulation.  Hasbro has been mixing case assortments with classic trilogy figures along with the newer characters.  The problem is that distribution is chaotic and newer merchandise is not put on the shelves until the old merchandise sells.  Once you have even one hiccup it causes a chain reaction for subsequent waves.  Hasbro's hiccup started around 2012 and they have been trying to stop the runaway train each year since then.  

At this time, newer figures sit in the back and by the time they are put on pegs, they have already been marked down to clearance in the store's system. 

Another example of poor distribution and scheduling is that last year at SDCC, Hasbro announced that the Vintage Collection would make a return.  Multiple points of articulation, classic card backs, more intricately designed figures and toys.  It has been a full year and only ONE wave of this series has been released with several of these figures being re-releases. 

You can't go by the current climate of the toys to gauge interest on Star Wars. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/30/2018 at 2:34 PM, Chuck Gower said:

In my opinion, Episode IX will be almost as big, if not bigger than VII at the box office.

Agreed.

Reasons.

This is the end of the Skywalker saga.

Luke Skywalker is back.

JJ Abrams directs.

It will most likely end up being either 1 or 2 all-time Star Wars grossing picture at box office.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

Toy Guy here... 

The numbers for Solo and TLJ were down from what you would expect from a tentpole movie.  Usually the toys experience a boom during such an event and non movie years experience a decline.

However, the current crop of movies may not be to blame for that. 

If we are talking about Hasbro figure sales then the problem has been poor case assortments, poor distribution, and misdirection of the brand as far as reverting from multi articulated to 70's style 5 Points of Articulation.  Hasbro has been mixing case assortments with classic trilogy figures along with the newer characters.  The problem is that distribution is chaotic and newer merchandise is not put on the shelves until the old merchandise sells.  Once you have even one hiccup it causes a chain reaction for subsequent waves.  Hasbro's hiccup started around 2012 and they have been trying to stop the runaway train each year since then.  

At this time, newer figures sit in the back and by the time they are put on pegs, they have already been marked down to clearance in the store's system. 

Another example of poor distribution and scheduling is that last year at SDCC, Hasbro announced that the Vintage Collection would make a return.  Multiple points of articulation, classic card backs, more intricately designed figures and toys.  It has been a full year and only ONE wave of this series has been released with several of these figures being re-releases. 

You can't go by the current climate of the toys to gauge interest on Star Wars. 

Good post and I will add that

children/teens are not really into action figures like previous generations. I have three children and all three rather have tablets,video games and smartphones.

Same thing with GI JOE  and Transformers action figures.

People just don't buy action figures like the 70-90s generation did.

Kind of like modern comic book and sports card sales.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good post and I will add that

children/teens are not really into action figures like previous generations. I have three children and all three rather have tablets,video games and smartphones.

Same thing with GI JOE  and Transformers action figures.

People just don't buy action figures like the 70-90s generation did.

Kind of like modern comic book and sports card sales.

Absolutely agree. As much as I love GI Joe I believe the line is somewhere between life support and death.  Transformers though seem to continue to go strong. I think kids will always love big robots and things like that.  They seem to continue to perform no matter what above all other lines. 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Absolutely agree. As much as I love GI Joe I believe the line is somewhere between life support and death.  Transformers though seem to continue to go strong. I think kids will always love big robots and things like that.  They seem to continue to perform no matter what above all other lines. 

I loved Transformers in the 80's. I'm not a fan of the movie reboot, but I am happy that kids seem to love it, my nephew in particular is fanatic about them

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

George Lucas may be helping with Episode outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/07/star-wars-episode-9---script-gets-unlikely-help/

No offense, but I'm beyond believing anything these fan sites have to say about it all.

And the concept of that in general seems unlikely, unnecessary, and in many cases completely unwanted.