• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Heck, a billion dollar box office should be considered a disappointment.  For the concept of Star Wars: Episode IX that is, not the mindless tripe that is Rise of Skywalker, for which a billion actually is an accomplishment.  TFA left the franchise in a spot where Episode VIII should have taken one look at TFA's box office and said "Hold my beer and watch this."  But once Rian Johnson epically screwed that up, and Solo subsequently bombed, Disney restarted in safe mode to protect the brand as best they could. 

+1 this

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

starwars00.thumb.PNG.1aeaadea4f8945247db6cfd784fe4206.PNG

Broke $1B worldwide. But the drop-off compared to the other three films is interesting. And Rogue One domestically is .2% ahead at Day 27?

Not sure why the drop-off's either unexpected or interesting.

It's *far* worse than Rogue One.

And worse than TFA or TLJ.

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure if there's a single movie in cinematic history that's worse than TLJ.

Maybe Punisher: War Zone? @mattn792 :baiting:

Hate to say it because I had high hopes Fox was going to surprise us after the last trailer, but Fantastic 4 was just horrible. I rewatch War Zone every few years compared to I won't even consider buying F4 - ever. And that includes I could have picked up a Digital HD version for $1, and bought something else. It's that bad.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Hate to say it because I had high hopes Fox was going to surprise us after the last trailer, but Fantastic 4 was just horrible. I rewatch War Zone every few years compared to I won't even consider buying F4 - ever. And that includes I could have picked up a Digital HD version for $1, and bought something else. It's that bad.

Fan4stic is on the same level as PWZ, IMO. I actually finished F4, though.

F4 simply gets worse, and worse, and worse as it goes on. I have no idea if PWZ gets better or worse after the first 10 minutes.

44 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Fan4stic is on the same level as PWZ, IMO. I actually finished F4, though.

F4 simply gets worse, and worse, and worse as it goes on. I have no idea if PWZ gets better or worse after the first 10 minutes.

At least with PWZ, the source material was the influence for Lexi Alendar. And she went all-in as the first female director of a DC or Marvel film without fear how the violence would reflect on her.

Punisher: War Zone Director Lexi Alexander on the Curious Journey to Cult Status

“There’s not a week where Punisher hasn’t come up for 10 years,” says Alexander, who was the first woman to direct a comic book movie for Marvel or DC. “On Twitter every day there will be someone saying ‘Thank you so much for making Punisher: War Zone, it’s the best comic book movie’. I see the residual checks and it’s very interesting when you actually see them grow, you see it finding an audience…I went to director’s jail after Punisher and I haven’t made a studio movie since then. I can’t say it’s because no one has offered me one, it’s also me: I didn’t want to go up for one because this was such a horrific experience. Ten years of being reminded that you got because you’re a woman? It’s hard. It has been a long 10 years, you know?”

Reflecting on the movie is “bittersweet” for Alexander, who was coming off an Oscar nomination for her short film Johnny Flynton and the cult success of Green Street Hooligans when she signed on in 2007. “I actually passed on it several times because I wasn’t a big comics person. I mean, I’m a European comics person—Valerian, Asterix, that kind of thing—but I wasn’t as familiar with Punisher and some of the American characters.”

At the time of Punisher: War Zone’s release, legendary film critic Roger Ebert called it “one of the best-made bad movies I’ve seen.” It didn’t matter if reviewers thought the movie was “depraved” or an “inane bloodfest,” they could all put aside its “sadistic” nature and acknowledge that it was visually striking. So striking, in fact, the visuals have been duplicated, replicated, and regurgitated countless times over the preceding decade.

“The entire lookbook for the Netflix Marvel shows comes directly from Punisher: War Zone,” says Oswalt, who became one of the film’s biggest and loudest champions after he saw it with friends during the Christmas period of 2008 and wrote a gushing blog post about it. “Those shows would not exist without that film. It’s those saturated, Michael Powell blacks and reds, but in the service of grindhouse action…gorgeous.” To paraphrase Bob Ross, the movie’s look was a “happy accident.”

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

At least with PWZ, the source material was the influence for Lexi Alendar. And she went all-in as the first female director of a DC or Marvel film without fear how the violence would reflect on her.

Punisher: War Zone Director Lexi Alexander on the Curious Journey to Cult Status

:sick:

31 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:sick:

I actually thought that Ray Stevenson was a very believable Frank Castle ( I also enjoyed the Dolph Lundgren one - perhaps in hindsight it’s just for sentimental value )

however, the plot for Stevenson’s War Zone was riddled with holes like a firing range target, with terrible CGI to boot . I’m more surprised if Dominic West who usually brings his A game - instead of sporting a horrendous NY “accent”

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I actually thought that Ray Stevenson was a very believable Frank Castle ( I also enjoyed the Dolph Lundgren one - perhaps in hindsight it’s just for sentimental value )

however, the plot for Stevenson’s War Zone was riddled with holes like a firing range target, with terrible CGI to boot . I’m more surprised if Dominic West who usually brings his A game - instead of sporting a horrendous NY “accent”

To be clear: My problem isn't the title character himself. IIRC, he didn't say a single word in the first 10 minutes of the movie. That, combined with the Police Captain saying, "we'll get the man who did this" at the funeral where the little girl glances behind them and the Punisher is standing 25 feet away... All of that culminated in my brother and I turning it off and never trying to watch it again lmfao.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be clear: My problem isn't the title character himself. IIRC, he didn't say a single word in the first 10 minutes of the movie. That, combined with the Police Captain saying, "we'll get the man who did this" at the funeral where the little girl glances behind them and the Punisher is standing 25 feet away... All of that culminated in my brother and I turning it off and never trying to watch it again lmfao.

Valid points hm