• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion03.gif.43c129b12a98091f261dd61cff9b4bc9.gif

You mean ignoring those that posted in here how they saw the film and were disappointed, or had mixed feelings? Sounds logical. Your film twitter place is reserved. :baiting:

filmtwitter.PNG.bbc098e1eb8e3ed5536cf7748f54aec5.PNG

There are outliers in everything. There are people that somehow "enjoyed" TLJ.

Most people will agree that 86% is a "fair" assessment of how 'good' TROS is. It's not a score that's outright lying to anyone.

I understand your skepticism, but consistency isn't a verdict.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are outliers in everything. There are people that somehow "enjoyed" TLJ.

Most people will agree that 86% is a "fair" assessment of how 'good' TROS is. It's not a score that's outright lying to anyone.

I understand your skepticism, but consistency isn't a verdict.

emotion03.gif.f408909ae0a5ffb17c404cbe2802c347.gif

:baiting:

I'm glad you enjoyed ROS. That's nice to read.

:smile:

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would like to thank you for the pleasant/mature discourse, even though you're acting like a jabroni by not seeing this movie just to spite TLJ.

:makepoint:

:roflmao:

Ticket gift cards can be mailed to...

;)

33 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would like to thank you for the pleasant/mature discourse, even though you're acting like a jabroni by not seeing this movie just to spite TLJ.

:makepoint:

I find no fault with this approach.   It’s cliche but it’s true...the dollar is our vote and Disney really doesn’t deserve many votes at this point (although signs point to a decent course correction within the SW universe).  

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

IMDb massiver user base hugely counter to what RT is reporting from movie-goers. Although I usually treat 10's and 1's as outliers that contributors utilizing too frequently to throw off an average with any rating system they wish to overly-influence.

IMDb_ROS01.PNG.603eebeea8c42beb43e67d30b23e22d6.PNG

ROS_ratings03.PNG.fc466030a460c9d0d0365e5ec6e20a3b.PNG

Since Rotten Tomatoes is using a "binary" scale "Liked/Disliked", it would make sense to look at the IMDB votes as "binary" with everything rating 5 to 10 as "Like" and everything 1 to 4 as "Dislike".

If you do that, IMDB = 86% Like

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since Rotten Tomatoes is using a "binary" scale "Liked/Disliked", it would make sense to look at the IMDB votes as "binary" with everything rating 5 to 10 as "Like" and everything 1 to 4 as "Dislike".

But RT is not using a Like/Dislike scale. It uses a five-star scale which I demonstrated earlier.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

IMDb massiver user base hugely counter to what RT is reporting from movie-goers. Although I usually treat 10's and 1's as outliers that contributors utilizing too frequently to throw off an average with any rating sys

Oh - and yes, you can still vote on a film with RT even if you didn't see the film. All they ask is which venue did you purchase your tickets from. Here. I'll rate Dolittle a 5.0/5 to help in its efforts.

RT_User01.thumb.PNG.d547c5077f56a999e86e6fe8824b7b97.PNG

Feel any more trusting of the RT user score? I don't.

IMDb is a ten-star scale.

imdb01.png.9a5a69f9726d30a82e95c855100f0866.png

I'll check their FAQ what criteria leans one way or the other.

Edited by Bosco685

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But RT is not using a Like/Dislike scale. It uses a five-star scale which I demonstrated earlier.

Not if they roll it up into "% Positive".

That's binary, unless they have separate numbers for % Negative and % Neutral.  You can have a 100-point system, but if you end up with % Positive, you've made it binary.

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Where IMDb tallies results and just reports out a score, RT has a little more criteria built into its aggregation. But that is more to assign a logo for a film being Full Bucket (good) to Tipped Bucket (bad).

RT_User_FAQ.PNG.624267413a1cead1a0ccd6af9b8c0b35.PNG

How it tallies a positive (Liked) versus negative (Disliked) is not noted other than sharing it must be a 3.5/5 or better. So whatever tally decide behind the scenes leads to X% positive.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, bentbryan said:

I find no fault with this approach.   It’s cliche but it’s true...the dollar is our vote and Disney really doesn’t deserve many votes at this point (although signs point to a decent course correction within the SW universe).  

Yup, you could tell me that ROS is the greatest thing since sliced bread, however I will not be seeing it.  Disney/Lucasfilm lost me on TLJ and I am using my dollars to send a message.

You know, if you go by the Rotten Tomatoes user 'positive' supposed standard of a 3.5/5 (70%), then that means on a ten-point scale a 'positive' needs to be a 7.0/10 cutoff.

IMDb_ROS_Split2.PNG.f35354ee6769df3ca3dd684761ac5b72.PNG

Now THAT I could see as reality. And it very much matches the satisfactions statements.

Good point calling this out, @valiantman :foryou: