• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

George is a good ideas guy. It wouldn't hurt if the creator of this mythology added a little bit of input to the last chapter of his beloved Skywalker saga.

13 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

George is a good ideas guy. It wouldn't hurt if the creator of this mythology added a little bit of input to the last chapter of his beloved Skywalker saga.

I could do without any Ewoks or Jar Jar's.

I'm sure the current keepers of the flame will come up with enough goofy ideas on their own.

Edited by Chuck Gower

That particular fan site had scoops about Keri Russell and Naomi Ackie before they were cast, so they must have at least some connections.

Let's examine that rumor closely... how do they pay Lucas to do the 'idea' work?

Give him a cut? Pay him a flat fee? Would he even accept a flat fee? Would he be doing it out of the goodness of his heart for the benefit of the Star Wars mythology? ¬¬

The logistics of financial distribution for those ideas would be a nightmare.  

Add to that, how it'd look to the new owners of the franchise... it'd be like admitting defeat. 

I don't buy it. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I could do without any Ewoks or Jar Jar's.

I'm sure the current keepers of the flame will come up with enough goofy on their own.

Ewoks and Jar Jar? Six movies, and that's what you think GL is about? If he makes any contributions at all, it will be about the characters he created and what he believed their ultimate destiny would be. Ultimately, it's his baby, and I think it would be fitting for the creative genius who conjured up this wonderful universe to have at least a small part to play in the final chapter of what was supposed to be his Nine film saga.

9 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Ewoks and Jar Jar? Six movies, and that's what you think GL is about? If he makes any contributions at all, it will be about the characters he created and what he believed their ultimate destiny would be. Ultimately, it's his baby, and I think it would be fitting for the creative genius who conjured up this wonderful universe to have at least a small part to play in the final chapter of what was supposed to be his Nine film saga.

He told James Cameron what it was about. He told James Cameron how he'd have done the last 3 movies in an interview with him. And it sounds dumb, and he even says Star Wars fans would've hated it.

Midichlorians weren't exactly a popular concept in the first place, and he was going to riff even deeper on that aspect of it. It was going to take place in a microbiotic world.

Edited by Chuck Gower

It's also amazing to me how Star Wars fans have forgotten how George turned his back on the original cast and gave them no part in the prequels. He didn't seem interested in appeasing fans nostalgia at all, and his ideas for 7-9 especially show that. 

How could the original cast be in the prequels if their characters weren't born yet? We did get the Emperor, Yoda, Jabba, a young Obi Wan, Chewbacca and a few others I'm probably forgetting. Everyone knew that Luke and Leia would be infants in the Prequels.

George's ideas for his trilogy have been fine tuned. Obviously no midicholorians,  but Luke as an exiled hermit training a young female padawan was his idea. Han and Leia's son being a Dark Side user came from him. Obviously any ideas or help he can give will be in the context of the trilogy as it is, not what his original ideas were.

29 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

How could the original cast be in the prequels if their characters weren't born yet? We did get the Emperor, Yoda, Jabba, a young Obi Wan, Chewbacca and a few others I'm probably forgetting. Everyone knew that Luke and Leia would be infants in the Prequels.

There are other ways to use the actors in the film without them having to play their original characters, and even not as simple as having Fisher play Anakin's mom or whatever. He could've found a way a) to give tribute to the fans nostalgia and b) to give tribute to the actors for their part in the original trilogy.

He apparently didn't feel either was necessary.

29 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

George's ideas for his trilogy have been fine tuned. Obviously no midicholorians,  but Luke as an exiled hermit training a young female padawan was his idea. Han and Leia's son being a Dark Side user came from him. Obviously any ideas or help he can give will be in the context of the trilogy as it is, not what his original ideas were.

But why would he give those ideas to them?

Disney would have to pay for them and anything relating to them - toys, dvd's, tshirts, etc. 

The third movie is already going to be highly successful - why give away credit and money when they don't need to?

Exhibit #1:

Lucas quote after the Force Awakens:

“They looked at the stories, and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans’….They decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing,” Lucas explained. “They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway — but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up. And so I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.'”

Essentially he's saying, I'm not interested in making something 'for the fans', I would've made something completely different (which we now know is the microbiotic world of Whills that control the force through midichlorians.) Which ISN'T what the fans would want.

AND

I CAN'T help them with the movie, because if I'm not in control, I'm not interested.

Exhibit #2

Same interview:

“They wanted to do a retro movie,” Lucas said. “I don’t like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new.”

In other words, I'm not interested in the fans nostalgic need of this franchise. I would do what I want. (which we now know is the microbiotic world of Whills that control the force through midichlorians.)

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

yeah he is done laughing his butt off at Disney getting chewed up by the fanboy legions instead of him. Trying to salvage his legacy

Edited by fett

You're much more wrapped up in this than me, Chuck. Do you work for Disney by any chance?

Another article about GL's possible involvement in outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-rumors-george-lucas-rey-new-look-luke-lightsaber/

4 hours ago, fett said:

yeah he is done laughing his butt off at Disney getting chewed up by the fanboy legions instead of him. Trying to salvage his legacy

It did hurt him, the reaction to the pre-quels, which amazingly now, most people seem to have forgotten the outrage over them.

With Disney's movies it was: "It's too much like the old Star Wars!" and then, "It's too much different from Star Wars!"

Best to make the movie they want to make and not listen to fans, because there will always be those who are unhappy with whatever they do.