• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, comics4all said:

They should take a page of of Avengers Endgame's book on how to end a saga in a satisfying way!

Yes.

This teaser thing reminded me of the "To the End" trailer Marvel did a week (?) before Endgame. It got me super-hyped.

I also thought that Endgame was almost the perfect end to Phases 1-3.

I liked Force Awakens a lot, and I love Abrams's visual style. I'm really hoping that he gives us a great payoff.

To be honest, I wasn't that hyped until this new trailer. Probably too caught up emotionally with MCU. That trailer gave me chills at times.

2 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Yes.

This teaser thing reminded me of the "To the End" trailer Marvel did a week (?) before Endgame. It got me super-hyped.

I also thought that Endgame was almost the perfect end to Phases 1-3.

I liked Force Awakens a lot, and I love Abrams's visual style. I'm really hoping that he gives us a great payoff.

To be honest, I wasn't that hyped until this new trailer. Probably too caught up emotionally with MCU. That trailer gave me chills at times.

This here, and the fact that Abrams made everyone seem "human" again in TFA (unlike the wooden CGI mess that was I-III) is what gives me hope for #9.  But as I alluded to before, his tendency for derivation is something to remain very cautious of.  I give TFA a pass because the Star Wars franchise was desperately in need of a movie that would make Star Wars enjoyable again.  It was the safe route, and it proved very effective. 

At this point though, the franchise should be moving past safe.  Unfortunately, since The Last Jedi was so horrid, I worry it will cause Abrams to go that route once more.  

Edited by mattn792
IX != an outside link

12 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

This here, and the fact that Abrams made everyone seem "human" again in TFA (unlike the wooden CGI mess that was I-III) is what gives me hope for #9.  But as I alluded to before, his tendency for derivation is something to remain very cautious of.  I give TFA a pass because the Star Wars franchise was desperately in need of a movie that would make Star Wars enjoyable again.  It was the safe route, and it proved very effective. 

At this point though, the franchise should be moving past safe.  Unfortunately, since The Last Jedi was so horrid, I worry it will cause Abrams to go that route once more.  

How many elements can he borrow from ROTJ tho? There's no one to save from a Jabba type character and place. Are they going to reconstruct a new Starkiller Base? I really hope not lol. Freaking 3 of those things have been destroyed by rebels in the last 50 years. Even if they do, I think there's no way they keep a shield on a planet full of furball creatures. They already disposed of the Emperor like character (Snoke). Obviously the Emperor himself is back tho.

I'm not sure that there's much to worry about. I would definitely like something that ACTUALLY subverts my expectations, rather than they constant grasp at that idea in TLJ that failed miserably. I can't believe its only 4 months away.

23 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

How many elements can he borrow from ROTJ tho? There's no one to save from a Jabba type character and place. Are they going to reconstruct a new Starkiller Base? I really hope not lol. Freaking 3 of those things have been destroyed by rebels in the last 50 years. Even if they do, I think there's no way they keep a shield on a planet full of furball creatures. They already disposed of the Emperor like character (Snoke). Obviously the Emperor himself is back tho.

I'm not sure that there's much to worry about. I would definitely like something that ACTUALLY subverts my expectations, rather than they constant grasp at that idea in TLJ that failed miserably. I can't believe its only 4 months away.

Sadly i think there is another starkiller like base! Did you see that big red laser beam strike? It will be so trite if they have yet another death star type thing! 

Anyway, I like that they finally have them all together instead of always separated!

I love seeing Carrie Fisher too! I hope they have a good ending for her

13 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Sadly i think there is another starkiller like base! Did you see that big red laser beam strike? It will be so trite if they have yet another death star type thing! 

Anyway, I like that they finally have them all together instead of always separated!

I love seeing Carrie Fisher too! I hope they have a good ending for her

I think that they are going to put that weapon on all of the Star Destroyers instead. It looked like a smallish beam.

28 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

I think that they are going to put that weapon on all of the Star Destroyers instead. It looked like a smallish beam.

That was a crazy scene with all the Star Destroyers!

Bringing back Palpatine kind of makes all 9 of these movies about him!

I will be happy if they have Anakin as a ghost come back & say he hates sand!

1 hour ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

How many elements can he borrow from ROTJ tho?

Well, there does seem to be another fleet battle coming, so there are minor things he can grasp at.

There's no one to save from a Jabba type character and place.

True.  Now if it was Rian Johnson, we'd quite possibly see Flying Space Leia save carbon frozen Lando from Java the Hutt who originally thought he was buying a Lando replica off ebay.gffa but was pleasantly surprised to find he received the real Lando instead.  Backstory would be that Lando had reacquired Bespin some years after the events of ROTJ, and in a plot cleverly disguised as a work related mishap, he got pushed into the carbon freezer by the security guy with the gadget attached to the back of his head after he was paid off by Benicio del Toro.  

Are they going to reconstruct a new Starkiller Base? I really hope not lol.

You and me both.

Freaking 3 of those things have been destroyed by rebels in the last 50 years. Even if they do, I think there's no way they keep a shield on a planet full of furball creatures.

I posited this in another thread - who keeps backing the loans for these giant planet blower upper mechanisms?

They already disposed of the Emperor like character (Snoke). Obviously the Emperor himself is back tho.

Emperor Palpitation coming back worries me the most.  Seems awfully unimaginative to trot him back out at this point, he should've been making cameos right off the bat in TFA if he's going to play some sizeable role.  It's not like he's some great secret, he's been around since Episode I.  How he survived his Death Star reactor tour should've been the central mystery to why he's still kicking around.

Yes, they need to flush TLJ completely and do it to it with this movie.  Not sure if they can though.

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

A fleet battle is better than a slow-pace ship chase. lol

Didn't you see RJ's great vision from that side quest? The rich pay for the endless Star War!

Palpatine would have to be the greatest expectation being subverted. No idea how they're gonna do it, but feeling optimistic right now.

4 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

A fleet battle is better than a slow-pace ship chase. lol

Didn't you see RJ's great vision from that side quest? The rich pay for the endless Star War!

Palpatine would have to be the greatest expectation being subverted. No idea how they're gonna do it, but feeling optimistic right now.

I'm ok with EP because he is a good villain but if he can come back then why can't everyone else....

Plus it completely ruins ROTJ, but I guess they already did they with TFA & TLJ! lol

10 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I'm ok with EP because he is a good villain but if he can come back then why can't everyone else....

Plus it completely ruins ROTJ, but I guess they already did they with TFA & TLJ! lol

Some people think he may be a Palpatine clone. Whatever, they'll have to have convincing reasons for his life away, and return.

I don't think TFA hurts ROTJ at all. TLJ basically ruined everything tho.

1 hour ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Some people think he may be a Palpatine clone. Whatever, they'll have to have convincing reasons for his life away, and return.

I don't think TFA hurts ROTJ at all. TLJ basically ruined everything tho.

TFA does ruin ROTJ a bit because it sets back Han,Luke, & makes the Rebel alliance rebels again when they should have been the standing order 

TLJ is just a cluster :censored: !

2 minutes ago, comics4all said:

TFA does ruin ROTJ a bit because it sets back Han,Luke, & makes the Rebel alliance rebels again when they should have been the standing order 

TLJ is just a cluster :censored: !

TFA further develops Han and Luke after their family expands. Doesn't set them back. Luke screwed up with Ben and went into hiding a la Yoda (his reasoning in TLJ is nonsense tho). Han's marriage falls apart and they both fall back to what they're good at. Han being a scoundrel lol.

Kylo Ren puts the First Order together with Snoke. It is "Star WARS" after all. The good guys have always fought tyranny. I personally think TFA makes a LOT of sense and expands on the greatness of the original trilogy.

Interesting that they showed the Skywalker history in the order in which the previous movies had been released and not in the chronological way they would have occurred in universe.

I'm guessing that Red-Sabre Rey is her "Cave of Dagobah" moment.

2 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

They should go with the twin brother angle -- Steve Palpatine, a retired union carpenter, suddenly finds himself thrust into the role of Sith overlord at the behest of his dead but still occasionally showing up as an apparition twin brother, Emperor Palpatine (what was his first name anyway?).

I don't think TFA hurts ROTJ at all.

Agreed.

TLJ basically ruined everything tho.

AGREED!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

They should go with the twin brother angle -- Steve Palpatine, a retired union carpenter, suddenly finds himself thrust into the role of Sith overlord at the behest of his dead but still occasionally showing up as an apparition twin brother, Emperor Palpatine (what was his first name anyway?).

I don't think TFA hurts ROTJ at all.

Agreed.

TLJ basically ruined everything tho.

AGREED!!!!!!

Sheev lol.