• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, comics4all said:

HP is really cool, you should give it a chance. 

I resisted it, thought it was just for kids, but it is well written & has great actors:

Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, etc

The books are even better! 

My sister in law turned me on to it!

It’s more a matter of investment of time than snobbery.

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
18 minutes ago, comics4all said:

HP is really cool, you should give it a chance. 

I resisted it, thought it was just for kids, but it is well written & has great actors:

Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, etc

The books are even better! 

My sister in law turned me on to it!

Same here.  I generally enjoyed them, but not tremendously as they're definitely geared towards kids.  I saw the first five or six because my ex was a middle school librarian so I watched them with her, but after we broke up I wasn't compelled enough to watch the last two or three, and I haven't seen the two other recent Rowling films based upon the same universe.  I liked them enough to look forward to them if my 4-year olds want to see them in a few years.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The first couple of films are kind of a snooze-fest (as far as re-watch-ability goes).

I only ever read the 1st book when I was in middle school. The back half of the movie franchise is great IMO. I always put them on TV in the background if I catch them on the guide.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Same here.  I generally enjoyed them, but not tremendously as they're definitely geared towards kids.  I saw the first five or six because my ex was a middle school librarian so I watched them with her, but after we broke up I wasn't compelled enough to watch the last two or three, and I haven't seen the two other recent Rowling films based upon the same universe.  I liked them enough to look forward to them if my 4-year olds want to see them in a few years.

Cool!

You should watch the last 3! They are really good! 

Def watch them with your kids when they are older! 

Fantastic beasts I didn't like very much ...

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The first couple of films are kind of a snooze-fest (as far as re-watch-ability goes).

I only ever read the 1st book when I was in middle school. The back half of the movie franchise is great IMO. I always put them on TV in the background if I catch them on the guide.

When they do the HP marathons on TV, My family & I always have it on the background even if none of us are watching ! lol

But at least one of us will always plop down for a few minutes & watch a bit & then go back to doing something else!

Yeah the back half is better, but I do really enjoy CoS & PoA..

23 minutes ago, comics4all said:

When they do the HP marathons on TV, My family & I always have it on the background even if none of us are watching ! lol

But at least one of us will always plop down for a few minutes & watch a bit & then go back to doing something else!

Yeah the back half is better, but I do really enjoy CoS & PoA..

I've never watched one episode.

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've never watched one episode.

They are good, give them a chance.

The first ones are a little slow because the kids are only 11 @ the beginning of the first film, but the action & drama ramps up pretty quickly! 

Alan Rickman's character: Severus  Snape is worth the price of admission alone! 

Edited by comics4all

I’m in a meeting this morning where the person across from me is blatantly reading the newspaper.  (Yeah really - print media - wtf) 

I should start watching the HP movies now.  

2 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Read the books, they are far superior.

If I’m going to pick between the two I will take the movies on this one... 

I would say that the books are geared towards children much more than the films are. Kinda how you have to 'be into comics' to enjoy them - I think you have to 'be into children's fairy tales' to enjoy the HP books. Again - only having read one - but I stopped at the 2nd one because it wasn't 'mature' enough for me.

I could be wrong, though, because I also think the first 2 films are quite family-oriented and the latter ones have some darker imagery/themes. Could be a reflection of the books getting more serious as well.

Wait, isn't this a Star Wars thread?

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

Fair enough.

I really do read enough in regards to work.  I don’t mind the bee-essing of the boards - but to sit down and “read” anything currently feels like a chore rather than enjoyment as of late.  I am not even reading any comics as of late for similar reasons.