• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

lol

I'll do my best to avoid punishment via mod:

1. Daisy Ridley was born with a physical attribute beyond her choosing.
  2. Certain groups of people believe that - by default - she is privileged.
  3. She probably worked her :censored: off to be successful (based on Abrams comments from VII - I think that's true).
  4. She doesn't think she's privileged because of her work ethic.

Some people attribute born physical appearance + success = "privilege"; despite many people earning their success.

It's stupid and I have no idea how any site could misconstrue it as "news".

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol

3. She probably worked her :censored: off to be successful (based on Abrams comments from VII - I think that's true).

Some people attribute born physical appearance + success = "privilege"; despite many people earning their success.

The world we live in now has so much utter nonsense now! 

What passes for "news" today is sad....

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol

1 hour ago, comics4all said:

The world we live in now has so much utter nonsense now! 

What passes for "news" today is sad....

How dare the two of you be so unwoke!  I'm going to Twitter and Instagram and the UN and the post office to express my outrage immediately!  People will care that I have absolutely nothing productive to say!!!!!  :bigsmile:

Just now, mattn792 said:

How dare the two of you be so unwoke!  I'm going to Twitter and Instagram and the UN and the post office to express my outrage immediately!  People will care that I have absolutely nothing productive to say!!!!!  :bigsmile:

Un-woke drink Coke sink broke old folk snort coke egg white no yolk.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Make sue to throw in some outrage over that despicably sexist exercise bike commercial while you're at it!

6 minutes ago, Foley said:

Make sue to throw in some outrage over that despicably sexist exercise bike commercial while you're at it!

Peloton!  Double outrage!  And my wife wants one!  Furtherance of sexism!  Triple outrage!  Approaching outrage overload!  Gird your servers Twitter, here I come!!!!!!

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol

These are the same people that made sure that little Jimmy and Susy get the same medal/trophy/ribbon at school athletic events for standing there and drawing a breath as the kids that actually participate and win the competition since they are "born athletes" despite the fact they spend hours practicing every day/week...........

Edited by kimik

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

These are the same people that made sure that little Jimmy and Susy get the same medal/trophy/ribbon at school athletic events for standing there and drawing a breath as the kids that actually participate and win the competition since they are "born athletes" despite the fact they spend hours practicing every day/week...........

You know what not winning a participation medal did to me in elementary school? It made me want to win a :censored:ing medal next year. I won nothing in 4th grade track races. In 5th grade? 2nd place.

Kids will find that drive in one way or another. If it's not sports? Maybe it's art. Maybe it's science. Maybe it's academics. They need a drive to do something in life. They need a drive that will translate into contributing to society later in life.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

woke.png

29 minutes ago, Foley said:

The wife in the Peloton commercial was so brave to document her journey of being an attractive 120 lbs woman who in just 1 year's time became an attractive 116 lbs woman! lol

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You know what not winning a participation medal did to me in elementary school? It made me want to win a :censored:ing medal next year. I won nothing in 4th grade track races. In 5th grade? 2nd place.

Kids will find that drive in one way or another. If it's not sports? Maybe it's art. Maybe it's science. Maybe it's academics. They need a drive to do something in life. They need a drive that will translate into contributing to society later in life.

Agreed 100%. Right now there is an apparent race to the bottom/mediocrity being created in the primary and secondary education system. Everyone is special and needs to be rewarded in the same way to ensure they are not "damaged" during critical development years, despite the fact that this is not reality. We told our kids to always compete for grades, in athletics, etc. because that is how the world works regardless of what they are told at school. Now that they are teenagers they understand the points we were making and drive themselves to excel/achieve, which is all a parent can hope for.

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

Agreed 100%. Right now there is an apparent race to the bottom/mediocrity being created in the primary and secondary education system. Everyone is special and needs to be rewarded in the same way to ensure they are not "damaged" during critical development years, despite the fact that this is not reality. We told our kids to always compete for grades, in athletics, etc. because that is how the world works regardless of what they are told at school. Now that they are teenagers they understand the points we were making and drive themselves to excel/achieve, which is all a parent can hope for.

Totally right! 

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

I have multiple friends who work in education, and their stories are sad. Phones allowed in class. On-demand test retakes. Grade inflation. Flexible due dates. Kids will find a way to cope with the faults of older generations, and will manage to succeed same as every prior generation, but you can't remove roadblocks in life. You can only postpone them. Combine this with relentless college competition, overscheduling of activities, and out of control higher education costs/debt and it doesn't paint a very rosy picture. 

I screwed my education up. I could paint myself as a victim and say that the system failed me, but, I knew exactly what I was doing when I did it. The education system just isn't a good fit for someone like me. And the entire system wasn't against me. As an example:

I applied for Algebra 2. I was put into Basic Math 2. I skipped class for 2 extra lunches the first 10 classes/2 weeks. They found out (quick), and my counselor switched my schedule to give me 2 full hours of Basic Music - where I could play guitar for the last 2 hours of my day.

The system IMO needs to be geared/tuned more-specifically to students' ambitions. I know that can be tough, but alternatively, removing obstacles is a much more dangerous route. Babying is the wrong approach. We need to breed contributing adults. I ended up in a great place by the time I was 25 despite being an academic failure.

What does this have to do with Star Wars? Well, if Rian Johnson wasn't raised to be such a participation-trophy loser, maybe The Last Jedi wouldn't have been an abomination.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:22 AM, Larryw7 said:

I have tickets for.opening.day. I'm a sucker.

I have tickets for the fan event first release... free popcorn and some collectable thingy..