• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One higher grade key vs three lesser grade keys
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get a general consensus on something I am thinking about. First off, I am a big Silver Surfer fan and started buying some CGC graded Surfer keys. I also have the collected Surfer stories in paperback so I can actually read them. I currently have a FF48 CGC 7.0, FF49 CGC 8.5 & SS1 CGC 9.0 Signature Series signed by Lee & Sinnott. Value wise, would it be better to hold onto these three books or sell them in order to get a FF48 CGC 9.0-9.2?

Chris

6 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get a general consensus on something I am thinking about. First off, I am a big Silver Surfer fan and started buying some CGC graded Surfer keys. I also have the collected Surfer stories in paperback so I can actually read them. I currently have a FF48 CGC 7.0, FF49 CGC 8.5 & SS1 CGC 9.0 Signature Series signed by Lee & Sinnott. Value wise, would it be better to hold onto these three books or sell them in order to get a FF48 CGC 9.0-9.2?

Chris

for pure cash-out value, I'd say flip them all now for the highest grade FF48 you can find.  Then whenever they announce Silver Surfer in a movie in the next 5-10 years, sell at its peak and call it a day. 

2 hours ago, revat said:

for pure cash-out value, I'd say flip them all now for the highest grade FF48 you can find.  Then whenever they announce Silver Surfer in a movie in the next 5-10 years, sell at its peak and call it a day. 

I agree , emphatically !  Trade in the trio and buy the best FF48 you can afford now . In the future you can always downgrade back to your trio with cash in hand. Better yet, keep the 49 and 50 (they sound like nice books) and only upgrade the 48 ! While the mid grades of any hot book will always capitalize, it's the uber grades that increase exponentially.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, JollyComics said:

I used to own FF48 9.0, FF49 9.4 and FF50 9.2 five years ago before I sold them. Now I regretted it. The value of those books are steady every year that I would not afford.

Trilogy should be kept instead of SS #1.

#50 is super hard to find in the NM range.

1 hour ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Were you the original submitter of the book? If so where did you find something from that era in such high grade.

FF#48 is a "warehouse" book, so lots of HG copies out there.   Probably one of the reasons it has lagged a bit (until recently) compared to the "inhumans" issues that come just prior.  

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

FF#48 is a "warehouse" book, so lots of HG copies out there.   Probably one of the reasons it has lagged a bit (until recently) compared to the "inhumans" issues that come just prior.  

I was just going to say the same thing.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:38 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Hi everyone,

Chris

Personally I would keep the books you've got, and enjoy them. I have a F.F. 48 7.5 white, and it looks every bit as nice as a 9.0.

12 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Personally I would keep the books you've got, and enjoy them. I have a F.F. 48 7.5 white, and it looks every bit as nice as a 9.0.

I can't speak to the future value of anything, however, I do believe the rarer something is, the more likely it is to increase in value.  Thus if all you care about is a cash out at the end of the day, then perhaps you should listen to the advise of many here and go high grade.

I, on the other hand, am a collector and so I will go with Dave's advice.  To me owning three nice books (lowest being a 7.0) is better than owning one 9.0 (of the same book).  7.0 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Now, if FF #48 is your all time favorite book in the whole world, then maybe I could understand you trading in books you care less about in order to try and obtain that 9.0 - 9.2.