• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

James Jean - The Shape of Water

19 posts in this topic

Should be no surprise to hear that Del Toro owns the final art.

I was given a batch of pieces to sell on his behalf, but most everything else new, including sketches, will be headed to his big gallery show (curated by Takashi Murakami) in a few weeks. After that, in a few months, I hope to be able to announce something cool for fans...so fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

I have not seeing the film, but every single time I saw the trailer I though about Scott Snyder/ Sean Gordon Murphy The Wake (2014)Shape-of-water-5-1024x767.jpgWAKE-(page-030)_580_545d7148cbb6e0.69001

I'd say outside of both having monsters based on the creature from the black lagoon... not a whole lot else in common. I enjoyed The Shape of Water, I struggled through to the end of The Wake.

Judy and I can't afford many movies these days..... but we decided to splurge on this one, and it did not disappoint. I mean, it's a Del Toro film.... how bad could it be ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I'd say outside of both having monsters based on the creature from the black lagoon... not a whole lot else in common. I enjoyed The Shape of Water, I struggled through to the end of The Wake.

Congrats on holding on to the end. The first half of the story was outstanding, the second half..... :S

On 17/01/2018 at 4:21 PM, Matches_Malone said:

I have not seeing the film, but every single time I saw the trailer I though about Scott Snyder/ Sean Gordon Murphy The Wake (2014)Shape-of-water-5-1024x767.jpgWAKE-(page-030)_580_545d7148cbb6e0.69001

You might find this interesting

https://globalnews.ca/news/3973507/guillermo-del-toro-copying-shape-of-water-space-between-us/?utm_source=GlobalSaskatoon&utm_medium=Facebook

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The original reddit thread is a better resource for this, the article makes it sound like some type of theft:

There was a good Gizmodo article about the novelization of Shape of Water that chronicles how the film -script came to be, that long predates the Space Between Us, a few excerpts:

The idea for Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water was born on a tennis court in Iowa. That’s where author Daniel Kraus, at the age of 15, vividly remembers coming up with the seed of a story about a creature locked in a lab and a janitor that tries to break it out.

Kraus carried that idea around with him for years, regularly toying with it but never finishing it, until then he had breakfast with Guillermo del Toro in Toronto, Canada.

Kraus, slightly embarrassed he’d shared this childhood secret with the iconic filmmaker, kept trying to drive the conversation back to Trollhunters, but del Toro wouldn’t have it. “I was like, ‘Sorry I brought that up, let’s get back to Trollhunters’ and he was like, ‘No, no, no, no, no, let’s keep talking about this,’” Kraus continued. “So we started talking about it and he optioned that very simple, basic idea right there. Within minutes of hearing it he was like, ‘This is my next movie.’”

Del Toro went off to make Crimson Peak, and Kraus figured that was that. But del Toro’s enthusiasm rekindled Kraus’ interest and he finally began to fully develop the idea as a novel. Little did he know del Toro was simultaneously working on the screenplay . Eventually, the pair decided they both wanted to tell this story in their own ways: del Toro would make his movie and Kraus would write his book.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-shape-of-water-novel-does-much-much-more-than-adap-1820895586

EDIT: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2017/12/nothing-here-but-i-asked/

More proof that Shape of Water began development years before the Space Between Us, Del Toro even sent a journalist legal documentation proving so.

Some on the boards here might work in the film business.

Question to you- 

Shape of water was released in 2017 - so it had to be made before that. There would have to be more time added ahead of that to shop it around to raise funds, etc..  

So it seems that the origin of Del Toros film probably goes back possibly before the student film even existed? 

Any opinions?

11 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Some on the boards here might work in the film business.

Question to you- 

Shape of water was released in 2017 - so it had to be made before that. There would have to be more time added ahead of that to shop it around to raise funds, etc..  

So it seems that the origin of Del Toros film probably goes back possibly before the student film even existed? 

Any opinions?

I literally posted information about this two posts above yours.

There are some visual cues in Shape that are hard to ignore when compared to the student film. Regardless, Shape was not a great film. The leads performances were fantastic against a story that fell short for me. I expected more, or something different than the predictable finale we got. Del Toro is a one-hit-wonder for me. Pans Labyrinth was absolutely fantastic. He hasn’t done anything else nearly that good.

2 hours ago, Reader said:

There are some visual cues in Shape that are hard to ignore when compared to the student film. Regardless, Shape was not a great film. The leads performances were fantastic against a story that fell short for me. I expected more, or something different than the predictable finale we got. Del Toro is a one-hit-wonder for me. Pans Labyrinth was absolutely fantastic. He hasn’t done anything else nearly that good.

Pan's Labyrinth is a beautiful, sad film - arguably a masterpiece. Most of his other films are competent and stylistic in his Del Toro way. He's never made a movie that I didn't like, but I'd agree he has never reached the heights of Pan's again. Calling him a one hit wonder based on that is extremely harsh in my opinion. He's a quite competent film maker.

On ‎01‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

Judy and I can't afford many movies these days..... but we decided to splurge on this one, and it did not disappoint. I mean, it's a Del Toro film.... how bad could it be ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

They just recently dropped the price of the moviepass card from $50 to $10 a month. You can see 1 movie per day for $10 a month. Something to look into if you like movies and are on a tight budget. 

14 minutes ago, buyatari said:

They just recently dropped the price of the moviepass card from $50 to $10 a month. You can see 1 movie per day for $10 a month. Something to look into if you like movies and are on a tight budget. 

My wife and I got ours from Costco, a year subscription and it was around $90 for the whole year.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

My wife and I got ours from Costco, a year subscription and it was around $90 for the whole year.

Didn't know about this. That is an even better deal.

It says it comes with Fandor. How does Fandor compare with the other online streaming services?

"Members of Costco are being offered a discounted subscription to MoviePass bundled with a subscription to Fandor. The price for the bundle is $89.99 for one year. After the year, the subscription will convert to MoviePass’ and Fandor’s regular monthly package. This special package is only available for new MoviePass members. "

20 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Didn't know about this. That is an even better deal.

It says it comes with Fandor. How does Fandor compare with the other online streaming services?

"Members of Costco are being offered a discounted subscription to MoviePass bundled with a subscription to Fandor. The price for the bundle is $89.99 for one year. After the year, the subscription will convert to MoviePass’ and Fandor’s regular monthly package. This special package is only available for new MoviePass members. "

Fandor is useless if you like mainstream movies.

It's pretty much all indy / foreign / art house films.

I was hoping for at least some cool anime, but there wasn't even that.

Oh, and you can only buy it online, i tried to get it at the store, and was told you need to buy it through the website.

Edited by Pete Marino