• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS sketch covers. Value based on art or grade?

58 posts in this topic

Was not 100% what section to put this in, but since CGC puts them under SS books so will I.  When you buy a original art sketch cover, how much does the grade of the book affect the value of the book?  The main item on these is the art, so as long as the book is at least a 9.4 or higher does that condition have any impact? Or does the grade have some affect on value?

In my opinion, the grade has an impact.  Here are my thoughts:

(1) There is a part of the market that demands 9.8, if your sketch is not a 9.8, then there are people who are automatically not interested.

(2) There are also people who will use a 9.6 or less grade as a reason to pay less for the sketch.

(3) Even those who don't care know that there is a segment of the market that does care, and it factors into the final price.

Computing a price for SS books, at times, is more art than science, but grade is almost always a big part of the calculus.

A good number of sketch covers are done on nice, white blanks so color breaking creases are less of an issue. Obvious spine bends and corner crunches do decrease the grade, but the most likely downgrade is due to stray marks on the back cover.

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

In my opinion, the grade has an impact.  Here are my thoughts:

(1) There is a part of the market that demands 9.8, if your sketch is not a 9.8, then there are people who are automatically not interested.

(2) There are also people who will use a 9.6 or less grade as a reason to pay less for the sketch.

(3) Even those who don't care know that there is a segment of the market that does care, and it factors into the final price.

Computing a price for SS books, at times, is more art than science, but grade is almost always a big part of the calculus.

I agree with these points !00%.  As a person that has sold awesome sketches from known artists that are 9.6, you will get less than you paid based solely on the grade.  

Grade definitely has an impact.  There are a few really nice 9.4 and 9.6 covers that I am considering having additional sketches on the back to bump the grade. I am not a "9.8 or nothing" type of person, but.... the 9.8 is nice...  and makes a difference for a good number of collectors.

58 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

A good number of sketch covers are done on nice, white blanks so color breaking creases are less of an issue. Obvious spine bends and corner crunches do decrease the grade, but the most likely downgrade is due to stray marks on the back cover.

Isnt that ironic tho. Like they dont know the front is covered in 'ink marks'... Really wish they gave the option of assigning a non numerical grade for OA

A while back when DC did not have any blank covers and the Marvel blanks were not very good for colors, there was a boardie who would add a completely blank covers to books, and any sketches on them submitted for SS would get an "NG" (no grade) designation.  Personally, I think all sketch covers should be encapsulated this way, or at the very least be an option.

miracleman_2_ssng_tottleben.jpg

batman_1_ssng_breyfogle.jpg

jla_1_ssng_infantino.jpg

Edited by somewhereintexas

The grade shouldn’t matter but it does to some, if not many. My favorite SS sketch cover is a 9.4. When I sold off my comic collection I kept about 5 books including this one. I would still love it if it was a 1.0 or even a Qualified label. The only reason I had it slabbed is because it’s a comic book and the slab offers a little more protection for handling and nice presentation for the art. I’m not framing a comic book to put up on the wall. No offense to anyone who does. If Frazetta had painted on a blank comic sketch cover, I’ll bet the grade would hardly be a factor at auction. 

I would prefer them to slab sketch covers in similar fashion to how they slab solo sketches.

2B356621-8A79-44EA-B214-7FBDA46D9494.jpeg

Edited by Reader

In my experience a rare popular artist won't be effected by the grade.  A Romita Sr. is going to fetch a good price no matter if it's 8.0 or a 9.8.   

I agree with RadiantGraphix on the "ART" or "OA" designation for sketches..

Edited by TYPE-R

32 minutes ago, TYPE-R said:

In my experience a rare popular artist won't be effected by the grade.  A Romita Sr. is going to fetch a good price no matter if it's 8.0 or a 9.8.   

I agree with RadiantGraphix on the "ART" or "OA" designation for sketches..

While an 8.0 by Romita Sr. is going to fetch a good price, I think it would sell for more if it were a 9.8.

I would never pass on a piece of art if it was below a 9.8 To me its all about what the artist created and if that creation speaks to me. Unfortunately not everyone agrees and people get hung up on the grade of the sketch cover.  Let me ask, would you pass on this cause the book is 9.6? I would like to hear the community's thoughts

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Yurgo said:

I would never pass on a piece of art if it was below a 9.8 To me its all about what the artist created and if that creation speaks to me. Unfortunately not everyone agrees and people get hung up on the grade of the sketch cover.  Let me ask, would you pass on this cause the book is 9.6? I would like to hear the community's thoughts

s-l1600.jpg

Now before everyone goes nuts this is just my opinion and what I collect.  To answer your question I for one would pass on this book if it were a 9.6 and had grader notes that implied that it would stay a 9.6.  Especially when you can get full Jim Lee 9.8 sketch covers from Kwan Chang for 4K (last years price).  If there was a possibility, via favorable grader notes, that it would become a 9.8 via pressing or additional art I would take it.  I know I am in the minority on this but I am a grade guy to a fault.   

Edited by ivdyer

On 1/22/2018 at 5:20 PM, ivdyer said:

Now before everyone goes nuts this is just my opinion and what I collect.  To answer your question I for one would pass on this book if it were a 9.6 and had grader notes that implied that it would stay a 9.6.  Especially when you can get full Jim Lee 9.8 sketch covers from Kwan Chang for 4K (last years price).  If there was a possibility, via favorable grader notes, that it would become a 9.8 via pressing or additional art I would take it.  I know I am in the minority on this but I am a grade guy to a fault.   

That's ludicrous!  I would NEVER pass on this book, I could care less what the grader's notes where.  More like the singularity that minority if you ask me.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, Yurgo said:

s-l1600.jpg

I don't understand the question? Are they giving these out for free somewhere? If its free, no I would not pass on a 9.6.

Are you saying that you wouldn't choose a 9.8 over a 9.6 at the same price for the EXACT same thing?  You wouldn't pay $1 more for the higher graded comic? $2?  $3?  Its basic economics, it shouldn't be that hard to get.

For exactly the same thing, EVERYONE will choose the higher graded item.  AND SOME PEOPLE will pay more (maybe a little, maybe a lot) more for the HIGHER graded album.  Even if most people don't care, some do and it still leads to overall higher prices for the higher graded book, which makes them more valuable on average (all other things equal).  Its fine if grade is not the biggest factor (or any factor) for a given person.  But for the exact same thing everyone still chooses the higher grade because it likely has a higher average resale value.

I will try to be a little more clear. If someone gives you an opportunity to purchase a piece of original art created by one of your favorite artists will you a) jump at the opportunity to get a hand drawn sketch if the art speaks to you of course but that is a whole other discussion or b) look at the grade and pass on the art if its not a 9.8? To me I would always choose a piece of art that I thought was cool regardless of the grade the canvas receives.  In my opinion these sketch books are just canvases for the artist to create upon.

Unfortunately there is a market for 9.8 art, I am not naive to it. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of why attention is taking away from the art and importance is placed on the condition of the canvas.