• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS sketch covers. Value based on art or grade?

58 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, A-DONIS said:

That's ludicrous!  I would NEVER pass on this book, I could care less what the grader's notes where.  More like the singularity that minority if you ask me.

.......like I said, it's my opinion which we are all entitled too.   These sketches went for astronomical amounts of money on ebay.  I would not buy this 9.6 when I know I can go to Kwan and get a 9.8 for less money than what these were going for on ebay.  

5 hours ago, revat said:

Are you saying that you wouldn't choose a 9.8 over a 9.6 at the same price for the EXACT same thing?  You wouldn't pay $1 more for the higher graded comic? $2?  $3?  Its basic economics, it shouldn't be that hard to get.

For exactly the same thing, EVERYONE will choose the higher graded item.  AND SOME PEOPLE will pay more (maybe a little, maybe a lot) more for the HIGHER graded album.  Even if most people don't care, some do and it still leads to overall higher prices for the higher graded book, which makes them more valuable on average (all other things equal).  Its fine if grade is not the biggest factor (or any factor) for a given person.  But for the exact same thing everyone still chooses the higher grade because it likely has a higher average resale value.

Theres rarely ever an instance where a you'll find 2 'original sketches' that look exactly the same. With that said, id be willing to pay more for the art i like, as opposed to the .2 grade difference.

6 hours ago, ivdyer said:

.......like I said, it's my opinion which we are all entitled too.   These sketches went for astronomical amounts of money on ebay.  I would not buy this 9.6 when I know I can go to Kwan and get a 9.8 for less money than what these were going for on ebay.  

. I want to hear your opinion and your reasoning. Why do you think 9.8 Jim Lee batman sketches are easily obtainable? You keep saying you can get one from Kwan, however I reached out to him and he doesn't have a Jim Lee batman sketch. The last one he had was a 9.6 and personalized to someone, unfortunately it is no longer available.  So again please explain your logic. It isn't like you can just go to your local comic shop and pick up a 9.8 Jim Lee Batman sketch, can you?

3 hours ago, Nino_013 said:

Theres rarely ever an instance where a you'll find 2 'original sketches' that look exactly the same. With that said, id be willing to pay more for the art i like, as opposed to the .2 grade difference.

I share the same opinion, I'm not going to choose a piece of art cause it says 9.8 on it, I'm going to pick the piece of art that I think is nicer. Isn't that what it is all about? Art appreciation?

Let me put it this way. I'm interested in a Herb Trimpe wolverine sketch. Now which would you choose, the 9.8 or the 9.4. In my opinion the 9.4 sketch is a millions times nicer than the 9.8. Who would pick the 9.8 over the 9.4 and why?

9.8 Herb.jpg

9.4 Herb.jpg

4 hours ago, Yurgo said:

. I want to hear your opinion and your reasoning. Why do you think 9.8 Jim Lee batman sketches are easily obtainable? You keep saying you can get one from Kwan, however I reached out to him and he doesn't have a Jim Lee batman sketch. The last one he had was a 9.6 and personalized to someone, unfortunately it is no longer available.  So again please explain your logic. It isn't like you can just go to your local comic shop and pick up a 9.8 Jim Lee Batman sketch, can you?

hold on hold on ;)

misunderstanding.................

the batman headsketch that is personalized IS available.  i just sold the full body batman. 

like charles said earlier....i had several of jims sketches at this past sdcc.  they sold really well.  i kept the full body batman until a couple of days ago when the customer emailed about it (if he wants to post it....i will let him do it since it is not my piece anymore).

4 hours ago, Yurgo said:

Let me put it this way. I'm interested in a Herb Trimpe wolverine sketch. Now which would you choose, the 9.8 or the 9.4. In my opinion the 9.4 sketch is a millions times nicer than the 9.8. Who would pick the 9.8 over the 9.4 and why?

9.8 Herb.jpg

9.4 Herb.jpg

me ? personally ? i would buy the 9.4 one and crack it out of the case..........im SURE that the reason it got graded down is because of pencil marks on the back and try again.  like it was mentioned in the post prior.  cgc grades down for stray marks on the back.  a press would also help out if there are crunches around the corner....since i cant see it up close.....it is a full white blank....so no real color breaks here.    if i did that ? and came back higher ? awesome.  if not.....its still a better sketch imo. 

k

6 hours ago, Yurgo said:

Be patient I bet Kwan will have more Jim Lee this year. He had about 6-8 last year. Patience is key. I was patient and let the sketch you have and others pass during the DK III craze. I am now paying off a 9.8 at a much better price that is full figure with background. Going to take me a few months but it will be worth it.

And my logic is quite simple and sound. I don’t plan on selling anything in my collection but if there was an emergency or my kids wanted to sell my collection after I pass the 9.8 will command a higher price and that is a fact. Yes, I am a collector first but I am also an investor and these are investments or at least that is what I tell my wife 

....also there are times when logic and reason are not used when we are collecting. I like what I like for whatever reasons. I have a type A personality and like 9.8’s it is what it is. My favorite character is Wolverine but another may hate him/her. I am certainly not inquiring as to why, I accept that they dislike the character for whatever reason. It’s why we collect 

Edited by ivdyer

42 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

@ivdyer, you would pick the 9.8 cause of greater investment value as opposed to the 9.4 that clearly is the better drawing and would be more desirable from a collector standpoint

I would agree but I would choose the 9.8.  We are also talking about an artist that drew my favorite character and already have several 9.8 pieces of various sizes and styles. I also have his final full color HULK 181 cover recreation.  Here is a pic before coloring. It was colored just days before he passed. 

6D2C77D3-11FF-44BB-8423-2BE4BDBE3C59_zps

Can you not accept that you have your reasons for collecting what you collect and I have my reasons for collecting what I collect. I will not be participating in this banter any longer.  I have not asked you to defend why you collect and I don’t have to defend what and why I collect. Just accept it, I like what I like and I like 9.8’s. End of story 

Edited by ivdyer

37 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

Show me the pic of the jim lee batman you got? Would love to see it.

I will post a pic when final payment has been rendered and it is in my hands. Only then will it be mine. I believe that to be the right thing to do

It isn't my intention to create any negative banter, my intention is to spark a conversation. I to am a collector and investor. I believe anyone who collects thinks about the investment of the item as well as how cool it is to the person. So as a collector/investor are you more driven by the collector in you or the investor in you. I am obviously driven by the collector side in myself and it is obvious ivdyer is driven by his investor side. There is nothing wrong with what drives you, just trying to understand why? Btw, Love your hulk 181 recreation, that must be very special to you. Would the investor side of you allow yourself to sell that hulk 181 cover recreation or would the collector side never allow you to sell it? I truly am just trying to get a better understanding of the logic of someone that is investment driving.

Everyone has different things they look for in their collection. For some it's the art, for some it's the character, and for some it's the grade. Nothing wrong with him wanting high grade pieces because that's what he likes. The case is just protection for me and the art is what I'm after. Some of my favorite pieces are on NG labels. That said I will say that I won't over pay for a piece because it's in a 9.8 case and have passed up good art because of a higher cost due to the grade.

Nothing wrong with anything, people can buy 9.8 sketches crack them open and color them with crayons for all I care, I just want to know why lol. I would never tell anyone they are collecting wrong. People can live there lives however they choose and do whatever they want as long as they aren't hurting anyone, its all good.  

38 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

It isn't my intention to create any negative banter, my intention is to spark a conversation. I to am a collector and investor. I believe anyone who collects thinks about the investment of the item as well as how cool it is to the person. So as a collector/investor are you more driven by the collector in you or the investor in you. I am obviously driven by the collector side in myself and it is obvious ivdyer is driven by his investor side. There is nothing wrong with what drives you, just trying to understand why? Btw, Love your hulk 181 recreation, that must be very special to you. Would the investor side of you allow yourself to sell that hulk 181 cover recreation or would the collector side never allow you to sell it? I truly am just trying to get a better understanding of the logic of someone that is investment driving.

I would disagree with your assessment.  I would consider myself a collector first.  I try to position myself with the best possible outcome by providing my own blanks, doing full front and back pieces to minimize stray marks, dialogue with the artist, etc....now I understand this cannot be done with pieces that have already been commissioned but I commission more art than purchase off ebay or the boards so I have hedged my bets that my piece will obtain a 9.8.  

As stated in previous comments I collect for myself I do not intend or want to sell anything.  So that piece will never be for sale (its dated on the back a day before he passed).  I also have Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 that will never be for sale.....let alone 99% of my collection.  Full color pictured below and my 181....had Stan Lee sign the case, I will never crack that book 

B81E9383-9AE9-4160-8C32-0F720C52E5AE_zps

30 minutes ago, TYPE-R said:

Everyone has different things they look for in their collection. For some it's the art, for some it's the character, and for some it's the grade. Nothing wrong with him wanting high grade pieces because that's what he likes. The case is just protection for me and the art is what I'm after. Some of my favorite pieces are on NG labels. That said I will say that I won't over pay for a piece because it's in a 9.8 case and have passed up good art because of a higher cost due to the grade.

I agree with this statement.   

Edited by ivdyer

That's an incredible wolverine display. That is amazing that you have the ability to network and get commissions from the artists. I'm sure that wasn't easy. That is something I personally wish I had. I just learned a few days ago about the Kwan hookup.  I love your collection and love the way your doing it. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and pictures of your collection 

2 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

That's an incredible wolverine display. That is amazing that you have the ability to network and get commissions from the artists. I'm sure that wasn't easy. That is something I personally wish I had. I just learned a few days ago about the Kwan hookup.  I love your collection and love the way your doing it. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and pictures of your collection 

The boards have all you need. You just need to know where to look and sometimes its in obscure threads that require some digging. 

Kwan is a great guy. Fair and easy to work with.