• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS sketch covers. Value based on art or grade?

58 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I am not familiar with navigating the boards and where to look. I don't think they should be tucked away in obscure threads, makes it very difficult to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

1 minute ago, Yurgo said:

Unfortunately I am not familiar with navigating the boards and where to look. I don't think they should be tucked away in obscure threads, makes it very difficult to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

There's a search function for the boards, if you try a few things and get familiar, its generally fairly useful.  You can search by forum for key words or user name.  Good luck!

38 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

If your wondering about Sketches and Signature Series, your in the Signature forum look at the top that says SIG SERIES CENTRAL :foryou: try finding out who some of the facilitators and then PM them to see if they handle anyone exclusively or if there are any opportunities coming up. There have been a few mentioned in this thread answering your question, like comicsketchart.com that facilitator is dscott............ he's pretty good at getting back to people within 24 hours. As far as unknowns that might be a little trickier. The threads for when they're accepting requests come up periodically, but none are at the moment, I suppose, that is why there is no "obvious" thread. This is the first page of threads, they're probably on page 2-10 in the past. The enrollment for those is also probably finished, but if your just wondering about names of facilitators or artists then use the search function.

It helps when you pm somebody to have an idea of what you would like or who. Because it IS a lot of information to just give or have on hand for anyone who asks. Specifics to the best of your ability will help. Then the facilitators will inform you of knew opportunities as the greasy wheel gets the grease. If they have talked to you recently then they'll remember to give you a heads up :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If your wondering about Sketches and Signature Series, your in the Signature forum look at the top that says SIG SERIES CENTRAL :foryou: try finding out who some of the facilitators are then PM them to see if they handle anyone exclusively or if there are any opportunities coming up. There have been a few mentioned in this thread answering your question, like comicsketchart.com that facilitator is dscott............ he's pretty good at getting back to people within 24 hours. As far as unknowns that might be a little trickier. The threads for when they're accepting requests come up periodically, but none are at the moment, I suppose, that is why there is no "obvious" thread. This is the first page of threads, they're probably on page 2-10 in the past. The enrollment for those is also probably finished, but if your just wondering about names of facilitators or artists then use the search function.

It helps when you pm somebody to have an idea of what you would like or who. Because it IS a lot of information to just give or have on hand for anyone who asks. Specifics to the best of your ability will help. Then the facilitators will inform you of knew opportunities as the greasy wheel gets the grease. If they have talked to you recently then they'll remember to give you a heads up :) 

Solid advice 

6 hours ago, ivdyer said:

I would disagree with your assessment.  I would consider myself a collector first.  I try to position myself with the best possible outcome by providing my own blanks, doing full front and back pieces to minimize stray marks, dialogue with the artist, etc....now I understand this cannot be done with pieces that have already been commissioned but I commission more art than purchase off ebay or the boards so I have hedged my bets that my piece will obtain a 9.8.  

As stated in previous comments I collect for myself I do not intend or want to sell anything.  So that piece will never be for sale (its dated on the back a day before he passed).  I also have Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 that will never be for sale.....let alone 99% of my collection.  Full color pictured below and my 181....had Stan Lee sign the case, I will never crack that book 

B81E9383-9AE9-4160-8C32-0F720C52E5AE_zps

I agree with this statement.   

That Len Wein piece is amazing!

5 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

That Len Wein piece is amazing!

That is Ash....signed by Len and Herb.   That is Ash's preferred medium. Large Canvas and oil.  Someday hopefully Jackman  The Weapon X, Origin, Old Man Logan and Death of Wolverine are all signed by Jackman among others. 

Edited by ivdyer

8 minutes ago, ivdyer said:

That is Ash....signed by Len and Herb.   That is Ash's preferred medium. Large Canvas and oil.  Someday hopefully Jackman  The Weapon X, Origin, Old Man Logan and Death of Wolverine are all signed by Jackman among others. 

That makes more sense.  It's a wonderful work and Len Wein and Herb Trimpe will always be comic icons.

Edited by Ron C.

If I were you I'd go with the sketch (art) that you find most attractive and I wouldn't care much about the grade.

To me the grade has a marginal affect on the value of a SKETCH cover as I'm concentrating on the art rather then the grade. Then again a great counterargument could be made here: If i don't care about the grade why would I get a sketch on a black comic rather then on a drawing paper? But that's for a different debate.

If I  was to buy a sketch and I loved the art but the grade was 8.0... I'd still buy it. Of course I'm always a bit more happy when I learn that a sketch I submitted came back a 9.8 :) Hypocrite much?

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:bump:

As these have exploded in popularity even more so the last 2+ years, have opinions/perceptions changed at all  or bec further entrenched with all of the new available data?

-J.

Obviously having an 9.8 sketch is the preference, but I take into consideration many factors such as the quality of the sketch, the artist, style etc.  . Some of my favorite sketch covers in my collection are not 9.8s. 

You're correct that these sketch covers have exploded in popularity over the last few years and  I think there are many collectors that appreciate it, except for those die hard OA collectors.  I understand some OA collectors look down on sketch covers, but some sketch covers by some artists rival 11x14 OA commissions. IMO.

Edited by jreezy

Well I think one of things that will ALWAYS be a major factor is 'searchability'.  Of course there are plenty of people who say "I like this artist, I'm goona look up some of his sketches".  BUT I'm sure there are tons of people like myself who every once in a while looks at ebay or auction sites and just searches for CGC 9.8 comics to see if there's anything I want or might have good flip value or whatever.  The non-9.8 sketches obviously won't come up (save for disingenuous titles, but those turn me off almost automatically anyways), thus they get less views, which significantly reduces their chances of sale and netting a higher price.  With art, you may not know you even want it until you see it, and having high grades results in more people seeing it, and consequently more sales at higher prices.  What percentage of impact that is or continues to be or  is changing into is extremely broad across characters, artists, quality of art, etc., almost to the point where I think discussion is almost certainly too anecdotal to have any tangible value unless someone has taken the time (for some ungodly reason) to all the sales across the years and make lists with grades, artists, characters, titles, types of drawings (headshots, full body, color, etc) and also factor in changing artist prices for the work.  Also, among CGC fans there's still a perception that 9.8 is better, and even if YOU don't feel that way, you're willing to make the argument to drive the price down for your own buying purposes at least some of the time.

But I guess if you guys have done all that analysis and for some reason want to share it with everyone, great.

And yes, I'm also the guy who makes arguments against comparing sports teams of different eras when chatting at the sports bar (although comparing players ok! - gimme Lawrence Taylor and his drugs, Mike Jordan, Mickey Mantle).