• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS sketch covers. Value based on art or grade?

3 posts in this topic

Was not 100% what section to put this in, but since CGC puts them under SS books so will I.  When you buy a original art sketch cover, how much does the grade of the book affect the value of the book?  The main item on these is the art, so as long as the book is at least a 9.4 or higher does that condition have any impact? Or does the grade have some affect on value?

With actual pages or covers precise condition has little affect provided the piece is presentable.  Condition is not part of the equation, only artist, characters, quality of art, and significance of piece.  Hjow much of that carries over for sketch covers?

19 hours ago, drotto said:

Was not 100% what section to put this in, but since CGC puts them under SS books so will I.  When you buy a original art sketch cover, how much does the grade of the book affect the value of the book?  The main item on these is the art, so as long as the book is at least a 9.4 or higher does that condition have any impact? Or does the grade have some affect on value?

With actual pages or covers precise condition has little affect provided the piece is presentable.  Condition is not part of the equation, only artist, characters, quality of art, and significance of piece.  Hjow much of that carries over for sketch covers?

I would guess the grade impacts value by at least 25%.  There will be a large difference between 9.4 and 9.8 in most cases.

Edited by bigcbass

On 1/17/2018 at 1:47 PM, drotto said:

The value of the sketch (art) is SUPER subjective, so that is primarily the driving factor for the price. I personally dont think the grade matters that much. Besides, most common issues that cause a lower grade on a sketch cover can be fixed by an artist at a later time. For instance, I have a 9.4 sketch cover and the grader notes said the issues were ink on the back cover...so if I really want to I can get an artist to sketch something on the back to cover up the ink and that should bump up the grade back to 9.8.