• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to grade this comic

6 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

Hello fellow boardies....

i hope someone can answer this and all replies are welcome.  I have a golden age comic in nice condition however the cover has a piece missing 3/4" by  1/2". With all other defects aside what is the maximum grade a comic can receive with this issue

Just look it up in your CGC handbook ! :baiting:  Seriously, saying 'all other defects aside' is not an applicable statement to a CGC grading scenario. The piece missing, along with all the other defects, will be used in forming a grade. Without seeing your book(why not show us a pic?), I would say a piece missing is a serious flaw and will be hammered by CGC.

14 hours ago, divad said:

It depends . . . :grin:

Strictness would say 2.0, but :whistle:

I don't own any books with pieces missing so I can't validate your claim but I'm pretty sure I've seen books with pieces missing graded higher. I stand by my statement that 'it depends', especially without seeing the book. The whole book, and any applicable flaws, must be considered before blindly giving a grade. While the location of the chip should not matter, I think it comes into play. I think a front cover, in your face chip will influence the graders more than a discreet back cover chip. The OP should show us the book, better yet put it in the Please Grade My thread, and see what everybody says. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't own any books with pieces missing so I can't validate your claim but I'm pretty sure I've seen books with pieces missing graded higher. I stand by my statement that 'it depends', especially without seeing the book. The whole book, and any applicable flaws, must be considered before blindly giving a grade. While the location of the chip should not matter, I think it comes into play. I think a front cover, in your face chip will influence the graders more than a discreet back cover chip. The OP should show us the book, better yet put it in the Please Grade My thread, and see what everybody says. 

Actually that was MY statement. :foryou: