• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E. Gerber Full-Backs Board Texture Difference?

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed a texture difference with the recent lot of E. Gerber full-backs, specifically the Silver/Golden ones? The texture has a wavy or wrinkle appearance (see first photo).

I’ve include two photos, one is from the old lot and the other is from the newer lot. Also, I purchased ten packs over the last several months and they are all like this.

51E5058F-FEB8-4F1D-B7CC-7372D613E2A8.jpeg

49E0FDBD-36B1-43F7-B854-1812AFD8E883.jpeg

Edited by finalfan7asy

The top photo does not look good - looks like they've been broke.

The bottom photo looks normal.

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The top photo does not look good - looks like they've been broke.

The bottom photo looks normal.

It’s not just a few either. All 50 boards in each pack are like that. You can feel the wrinkled texture when you slide your hand across the board. I’m afraid they may leave an imprint on my comics if I fill a short box.

Agreed - top one looks strange... if it’s the whole pack, something may have happened to the package to cause it (maybe some liquid / moisture got in?) I don’t think the materials have changed - i just got a new 50pack recently (standard size) and definitely looks more like the bottom photo than top. 

5 hours ago, Jayman said:

@finalfan7asy perhaps email them the pics you posted here and explain your concern that the shipment was damaged. They might offer a refund or exchange. Worth a try...

This.  Though you should probably call them first since in my experience they never responded to my emails in the past.  That first photo is NOT how they should look and is most likely a damaged batch. The 2nd photo is normal.  Are they like the first photo on both sides?  I'd be very concerned about not only indent/impressions left behind but also color rub/scuffing over time when comics shift or are removed and replaced within their mylars.  Call them and see what recourse you have for a refund or replacement batch.  You may have to foot the bill for shipping, however, unless you live close.  I'll be checking for this from now on when I go to pick up my next order from their factory sometime later this year.  Hope it works out.

8 hours ago, Jayman said:

@finalfan7asy perhaps email them the pics you posted here and explain your concern that the shipment was damaged. They might offer a refund or exchange. Worth a try...

Try this.  I just got a pack of Silver/Golden fullbacks that were fine, looked like the second photo.  There is another pack coming in the mail next week, will check them out and chime in if the texture looks anything like the first pic...

6 hours ago, justafan said:

This.  Though you should probably call them first since in my experience they never responded to my emails in the past.  That first photo is NOT how they should look and is most likely a damaged batch. The 2nd photo is normal.  Are they like the first photo on both sides?  I'd be very concerned about not only indent/impressions left behind but also color rub/scuffing over time when comics shift or are removed and replaced within their mylars.  Call them and see what recourse you have for a refund or replacement batch.  You may have to foot the bill for shipping, however, unless you live close.  I'll be checking for this from now on when I go to pick up my next order from their factory sometime later this year.  Hope it works out.

I sent them an email and I received a response right away. They stated each run from the mill is different and it’s hard to inspect each board, but they are willing to replace them. 

I’m assuming the company received a good amount of these bad boards because I’ve purchased several 50 packs from three different dealers that sell their product and all of them had the same texture issue.

9 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

I just received another email from the company at 9pm; awesome customer service! They informed me it’s from the screening process when pulling paper and that some are more noticeable than others.

Glad it is working out.  But I do have to say that the words"great customer service" and "E. Gerber" are rarely used together. 

On 1/18/2018 at 9:00 PM, finalfan7asy said:

I sent them an email and I received a response right away. They stated each run from the mill is different and it’s hard to inspect each board, but they are willing to replace them. 

I’m assuming the company received a good amount of these bad boards because I’ve purchased several 50 packs from three different dealers that sell their product and all of them had the same texture issue.

Did they say if they would pay for the return shipping?  I just ordered/received 1,000 and of those I've opened, they are exactly like your first photo.  I had already popped open 3-4 packs before I noticed.  I took the step of running my finger over them to see if I can still use them.  On some, the texture is virtually smooth so I'm not overly concerned.  But for the rest, it's concerning and I'd like to replace - but think it would be crazy if I got stuck with return shipping for this size order.  Thanks for your reply.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:58 AM, LearnedHand said:

Did they say if they would pay for the return shipping?  I just ordered/received 1,000 and of those I've opened, they are exactly like your first photo.  I had already popped open 3-4 packs before I noticed.  I took the step of running my finger over them to see if I can still use them.  On some, the texture is virtually smooth so I'm not overly concerned.  But for the rest, it's concerning and I'd like to replace - but think it would be crazy if I got stuck with return shipping for this size order.  Thanks for your reply.

They requested that I send them a “sample” board and if they see damage, they will ship me replacements. As far as I’m aware, I will not need to ship back the damaged ones.

Edited by finalfan7asy

On 1/19/2018 at 6:39 AM, CatskillMike said:

Glad it is working out.  But I do have to say that the words"great customer service" and "E. Gerber" are rarely used together. 

I hope all works out in the end. They are supposedly receiving a new shipment this month.

Edited by finalfan7asy

On 1/24/2018 at 10:40 PM, finalfan7asy said:

They requested that I send them a “sample” board and if they see damage, they will ship me replacements. As far as I’m aware, I will not need to ship back the damaged ones.

They received my sample board and informed me it’s fine. The lines that are present are from a process called “checking” which straightens the board. I was also informed that the lines will not cause any damage to comics.  

The next load has arrived and has similar texture.

Edited by finalfan7asy

2 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

What you could do, for a limited number of books anyway, would be to cut a piece of smooth bristol board to size and insert it between your backing Gerber board and a book. Obviously a bit bothersome though, if you're looking to board 1000 books or whatever.

That’s not a bad idea. Thanks!

Sure thing! Bristol board is acid-free and pretty thin, and very smooth in texture. Basically if you have just a few books it'll give you peace of mind no wrinkles will ensue (I would do the same thing.) Available in inexpensive pads at any art supply store, or Hobby Lobby, other craft stores.

Also, as an experiment in what the wrinkly board may or may not do to a book's surface, place a random common, don't mind wrecking it book into a mylar with a sample board and lay some encyclopedias on top for a few months (no this isn't a pressing thread) -- then see if any perceptible impressions are made on the book's back cover. :)

Edited by originalisbest
added werds

38 minutes ago, finalfan7asy said:

They received my sample board and informed me it’s fine. The lines that are present are from a process called “checking” which straightens the board. I was also informed that the lines will not cause any damage to comics.  

The next load has arrived and has similar texture.

hm

IMO, it doesn't look "fine", it looks more wrinkled and textured which, IMOO, I would not want pressed up against the back of my books.

:|

21 minutes ago, jcjames said:

hm

IMO, it doesn't look "fine", it looks more wrinkled and textured which, IMOO, I would not want pressed up against the back of my books.

:|

I’m still not going to use them. All the other ones I’ve purchased in the past have been smooth (wrinkle free). I’m not sure why they are different now.

I doubt if E. Gerber has a reliable quality control process.  More like, "hmph, that looks to be about right to me." I ordered some custom boards at a steep price once and none of the packs were the same. Some had a slant on the side while others had a slant on the top. I figured then they were just winging it and weren't high tech. They're a good company with a good product. Just flawed in some areas.