• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Bernie Wrightson Art.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I frequent the comic side of the boards regularly and have purchased/collected high dollar books for years but have finally decided after saving for a while to purchase a original piece of Bernie’s work.  I’m sure you all would agree he is a true master of the highest order and his artwork is breath taking.  I also realize I would of fared much better having bought his art many years before his passing and it’s stratosphere appreciation.  Nevertheless the longer I wait the higher I feel it will go.  I have about $10,000 to spend and I realize that isn’t much concerning Bernie Wrightson but I’m reaching out for any help/suggestions where to find some beautiful works.  I know that many of the dealers and galleries jack the prices up ridiculously high.  I’d there anyone or a place that someone could steer me to?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Carl

Bernie Wrightson is not only a great artist, but was a very nice guy. One of the highlights of my life was discuusing his artwork for many hours, he really gave me some great feedback on my work as well. Coming from such a master, I was humbled by his thoughts on my work. I do have a piece of his work , and I will cherish it, and the moment forever.

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Bernie Wrightson is not only a great artist, but was a very nice guy. One of the highlights of my life was discuusing his artwork for many hours, he really gave me some great feedback on my work as well. Coming from such a master, I was humbled by his thoughts on my work. I do have a piece of his work , and I will cherish it, and the moment forever.

Yeah, Bernie was great. Very approachable. I had a conversation with him once comparing the studio guys to the Beatles. Bottom line was, nobody wanted to be Ringo. He is missed.

On the art side, I would think you could find something decent for 10k. Maybe not a top tier Swamp Thing page, and certainly not a Frankenstein, but there is a lot out there that falls within that range. I'd watch auctions.

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Yeah, Bernie was great. Very approachable. I had a conversation with him once comparing the studio guys to the Beatles. Bottom line was, nobody wanted to be Ringo. He is missed.

On the art side, I would think you could find something decent for 10k. Maybe not a top tier Swamp Thing page, and certainly not a Frankenstein, but there is a lot out there that falls within that range. I'd watch auctions.

Oh yes, there are decent Wrightson pages available in that range.

What I have also noticed in my search is that dealers mark up his works insanely high.  Is that what many of them command?  Up to $100,000+ for top tier pieces.  Does anyone think that some of his work is a blue chip investment?  I absolutely love his eye for detail it is unrivaled in my opinion.  A true master in every sense of the word!

Carl