• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PANEL PAGE ART EXHIBIT - Major Gene Colan Twice Up covers on display!

10 posts in this topic

I've started a new facebook page called PANEL PAGE ART.

I want this page to be a place where I occasionally share gems from my collection, discuss stories of collecting original art over the past twenty-five-years and highlight special pieces of art that are worthy of merit.  The page will also serve as the most up to date spot that lists the original art I currently have for sale.

To kick things off, I just posted two COLAN twice up covers--one that has not been shared publicly and another that has been buried for quite a while.  These are NOT FOR SALE.  They are just on display --so please don't ask.

The two covers are:

TALES OF SUSPENSE 89 and DAREDEVIL 23.  Both are wonderfully inked by Frank Giacoia.

Please swing by.  I'd love to hear your comments on the covers, and also would love feedback on my facebook page.  If you have input or suggestions, I want to hear it.

Link to the page:

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

Thanks, and happy collecting!

Glen Brunswick

Edited by glenbru

43 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Great art, Glen. I try to minimize my Facebook activity (such as "liking" stuff) so I'll just come over here and tell you how much I fawn over the art you post publicly.

Thanks!  I'll take any fawning I can get, anywhere. :)

29 minutes ago, Timely said:

I'm probably one of the very few left on the planet who do not have Facebook. Love to hear the stories and see the art though!

West

Happy to send you photo's direct, West!  Thanks!

Just added a GENE COLAN commission piece to my PANEL PAGE ART page - Display only - not for sale!

Here is the description and story behind the commission:

My favorite, and first, original art commission -- GENE COLAN - 1999.

A friend of mine, back in 1999, just a few years into my collecting career, told me that GENE COLAN was looking to pick up some work and was willing to do fan commissions. As hard as it is to believe, Colan, was not getting hired for comic book jobs at this point. His work hadn't lost a beat. His art was as masterful as ever, but for whatever reason it was not in fashion at Marvel or DC. He was willing to devote his talents to fan commissions. I think he was charging 400-600 for a one or two character piece, more if you wanted a recreation.

I got in touch with Gene and told him I wanted something with Captain America. Eventually we decided he would do his own version of the Timely Captain America 46 cover -- the infamous concentration camp cover. He asked me if 700 was too much -- I was fine with it.

A couple weeks later, Gene got in touch. He asked if I would mind if the commission was horizontal instead of vertical. He also wanted to know if I would mind the size being bigger at twice up for the same price. I didn't mind.

Two weeks later, I got my Colan commission--a masterwork if there ever was one, in the mail. Gene said he added glasses to the Rabbi figure that was being forced in the oven--a touch of added sympathy for the character from Gene. He was having trouble with his own eye sight at the time and was adding glasses where he felt it was appropriate.

I've kept the piece now for nineteen years and it won't be leaving my collection anytime soon. I present my Gene Colan Cap Commission along with the original cover by Alex Schomberg it was based on.

See the artwork here:

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

Thanks!

Glen

Edited by glenbru