• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laser rust removal

8 posts in this topic

I've seen this video a few times in my twitter feed and found its application to comic books intriguing.  The laser vaporizes rust and contaminants on metal and doesn't affect anything else around it.  Check it out if you haven't seen it.  I have a few comics this would be great for.  My question is, it seems pretty new and if it were applied to comics would it be restoration (assuming you could actually detect it) and if it were what would a service like this be worth on a per-comic basis?  Just curious what people think.

giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/953984574459068418

I am assuming every box of staples shipped from Acme Staple Co. was "dipped" so that the boxes could sit for years and thus all our book's staples have that galvanizing protection. Ever sand blast a car part? The rust isn't a patina forming on top it is the metal itself dissolving. Those freshly shocked staples would look so bad the graders would die laughing.

I'd want to know the absorption properties of paper and ink at those wavelengths. My hunch is that it would be likely to affect more than just the staple rust - note that it removes paint from metal. (It looks great for treating rusty metal though! I want one.)

To @Alf Pogs: staple rust starts out on the surface and gets deeper with time. I've cleaned some staples that look fine after nothing more than a gentle swipe with fine steel wool. Others with worse rust pretty much crumble if you try to remove them for cleaning. 

There is a company (I’ll have to find it) that works in the paper conservation space that removes foxing with lasers.  I saw a few pics of the before and after and it was pretty amazing.  If you look at the properties of foxing it’s incredible they’re able to remove it without damaging the paper.  This could take dry cleaning to the next level and would probably not be a detectable process.  With the exception of a book so well preserved it seems out of place.

Edited by comicquant

I had a Comic come back and they said the Staples were cleaned/wiped? Don't you clean a car tires and it's still original? What if the staples are replaced with other staples from the same time period, just like changing an insert of a Zippo lighter. All the staples are then same and NONE are specified to any Comic just as with a Zippo and it's insert...

7 minutes ago, A-Burning-Desire said:

I had a Comic come back and they said the Staples were cleaned/wiped? Don't you clean a car tires and it's still original? What if the staples are replaced with other staples from the same time period, just like changing an insert of a Zippo lighter. All the staples are then same and NONE are specified to any Comic just as with a Zippo and it's insert...

While I agree with your comments, I think it may have to do how the staples were cleaned. If a solvent of any kind was used, CGC considers it restoration.