• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181 Needs a press and clean

27 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, AdRock181 said:

No worries, that's why we're here. All feedback is appreciated. I didn't post the best pics at first. I just contacted a local comic presser/cleaner. Should clean that corner up nicely! I'll keep you posted! 

(thumbsu

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

Whoops, looks like I was 100% wrong. Sorry about that! I thought there was some rust transfer in the original centerfold photo, but it must be the staples casting funky shadows there or something.

My feelings too, before we brought up that issue and he posted better scans. It's the staple holes and the position of the staples in relation to them. We were both translating those larger than normal centerfold staple holes as rust on the underside of the staple closures and the paper itself. The larger, more detailed scan was necessary to see exactly what that was. My initial assessment was geared towards a strong chance of rust.

17 hours ago, AdRock181 said:

No worries, that's why we're here. All feedback is appreciated. I didn't post the best pics at first. I just contacted a local comic presser/cleaner. Should clean that corner up nicely! I'll keep you posted! 

Unless your local presser is CFP, CSS, Hero Restoration, Susan Ciccone or someone of that caliber, I would be very hesitant to take such a high value book to the proverbial local guy who presses comics, especially if it's your grail.

6 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Unless your local presser is CFP, CSS, Hero Restoration, Susan Ciccone or someone of that caliber, I would be very hesitant to take such a high value book to the proverbial local guy who presses comics, especially if it's your grail.

Thanks for the tip! I follow the comic doctor in Ontario Canada, he is a certified shipper to CGC and is very reputable with samples of his work on his feed including many grails several Hulks and Golden Age Batman etc. Either way i’m still nervous sending it anywhere!! 

1 hour ago, bighairjer said:

Ive used Susan and CFP and hear Hero is good as well.  All are top notch and  trustworthy.  They should get you to an 8/8.5 on that one.  Good luck!

For me that seems a bit optimistic.  The corner crunch breaks paper on the back cover, goes into several interior pages, and there appears to be a paper tear associated with the back cover crunch.