• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Been 60 YEARS!..show us your books from 1958!
3 3

100 posts in this topic

Technically I'd say 1968, when Martin Goodman was finally able to get out of the distribution deal with DC that straight-jacketed the number of titles Marvel could publish in a given month. Artistically, i'd say with the publication of FF #1.

41 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Technically I'd say 1968, when Martin Goodman was finally able to get out of the distribution deal with DC that straight-jacketed the number of titles Marvel could publish in a given month. Artistically, i'd say with the publication of FF #1.

I should clarify that I meant more along the lines of, "When do people feel that it elevated beyond just Stan assembling the comics himself?" I have read where Joe Sinnott said that it was about 6 months before he started receiving any art assignments. It's amazing to me that our beloved Marvel was a whisper away from becoming nothing. 

7 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I should clarify that I meant more along the lines of, "When do people feel that it elevated beyond just Stan assembling the comics himself?" I have read where Joe Sinnott said that it was about 6 months before he started receiving any art assignments. It's amazing to me that our beloved Marvel was a whisper away from becoming nothing. 

My 2c....

Since the late '57 and most of the '58 issues seem to follow the same style/format/content compared to the pre-Implosion material, I'm going with Strange Worlds 1 (cover date 12/58) and the subsequent releases of TOS & TTA 1 one month later as the end. 

I do agree with Mr. Pontoon that FF 1 set the artistic value and the character style for Marvel going forward.

22 minutes ago, bc said:

My 2c....

Since the late '57 and most of the '58 issues seem to follow the same style/format/content compared to the pre-Implosion material, I'm going with Strange Worlds 1 (cover date 12/58) and the subsequent releases of TOS & TTA 1 one month later as the end. 

I do agree with Mr. Pontoon that FF 1 set the artistic value and the character style for Marvel going forward.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Strange Worlds, TOS, TTA observation. I may be mistaken, but I believe that Strange Worlds #1 is Kirby's 1st work back at Atlas/Marvel. And yes, it's clearly FF #1 that set the style going forward. Such an interesting time to me. Just a handful of books coming out each month and from what I've seen, pretty hard to find them in high grade. It would make for an interesting sub-set to collect.

29 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Strange Worlds, TOS, TTA observation. I may be mistaken, but I believe that Strange Worlds #1 is Kirby's 1st work back at Atlas/Marvel. And yes, it's clearly FF #1 that set the style going forward. Such an interesting time to me. Just a handful of books coming out each month and from what I've seen, pretty hard to find them in high grade. It would make for an interesting sub-set to collect.

Welcome to my world since 2009 (at least as far as fantasy/sci-fi/monster titles go).

Yes, it is a very interesting but challenging subset to collect even in moderate grades. If you're going after higher grades of popular titles like Strange Tales or JIM, better have some serious bank.

7 hours ago, bc said:

Welcome to my world since 2009 (at least as far as fantasy/sci-fi/monster titles go).

Yes, it is a very interesting but challenging subset to collect even in moderate grades. If you're going after higher grades of popular titles like Strange Tales or JIM, better have some serious bank.

I had initially thought maybe Oct 1957 thru April 1958 was probably just Stan by himself putting out the books, so that would be the sub-set to shoot for. However, upon further consideration, perhaps thru 1958 would be more of an accurate picture. Yeah, why not just make it harder for myself while I'm at it? lol :ohnoez: (thumbsu

8 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Strange Worlds, TOS, TTA observation. I may be mistaken, but I believe that Strange Worlds #1 is Kirby's 1st work back at Atlas/Marvel.

Sort of. It was his first leading into the pre-hero giant monster books, but he also did a handful of implosion/pre-implosion stories for Atlas in the late 50s as well.