• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can't stand dealers who keep sold art listed !
1 1

64 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2018 at 7:35 AM, Nexus said:

You didn't click the link to see for yourself. :facepalm: Everything that's sold IS marked "SOLD". The art is simply left up for 90 days to view.

I personally find this kind of thing valuable in that it gives a sampling of what a rep or dealer might have available for an artist -- even if I missed out on it. Some dealers/reps you visit their site and a particular artist's section is completely empty, or has just a couple not terrible desirable pieces. Doesn't exactly send the message that dealer/rep can get those interesting or noteworthy pieces from an artist. 

But yes, very frustrating when stuff is left up as available years after the fact.

A number of people seem to comment that they enjoy seeing the art that the dealer has sold over time... I think we all agree with that, and we don't want them to vanish all of their sold art from their site.  Re-stating my opinion again, I would just like an interface that allowed me to filter one state or the other out on demand. Luckily, this isn't a technically difficult thing to accomplish but some dealers may be using off the shelf, or lightly configured, solutions that (somehow) do not easily allow for this.

I don’t get too bothered by sold art on a website if it is clearly marked as such. I am not a scan collector but I always enjoy seeing art that I find appealing – whether it is something that fits into my collecting focus or not – so seeing great art is always appreciated IMO. I love the idea of putting a control feature with the user so that they can filter only to see what is available when shopping. This also allows for potential commission shoppers to see the artists style and help educate a possible commission being setup. I also don’t mind art on CAF that has been sold or no longer in the possession of the previous owner – once again – if clearly marked as not being for sale or in the possession of the previous collector. I enjoy seeing art, even if I can’t purchase it so this doesn’t bother me too much. I learned early on that owning the art really only means that you own the piece of paper and nothing else – you don’t own the publishing rights, etc. and I see that also as not owning the exclusive “web rights of display” so it doesn’t bother me to see a “gone but not forgotten” section on CAF and it has actually led me to being able to track down a piece or two in the past.

I actually like seeing “what I missed out on” as it shows me what I could have had, and especially like seeing the sale price.

Agreed, I don’t like sifting through inventory, placing an inventory, only to find out items have been long since sold.  I don’t complain about websites designed where new items have to be inquired or ordered, only to have someone else bet me to the piece with a confirmed reply, that’s just the nature of that design.

In an ideal website, I would like to see a separate gallery of sold items and what they sold for.  It provides me with the context of the dealer’s past inventory and pricing.  There’s a lot of dealers who handle pretty epic pieces, or exclusively represent certain artists, and it’s nice to see what was once available.  

From a marketing standpoint, it is somewhat strategic showing what was available but sold, so it tells potential buyers they need to read the emailed announcements; updates; log on more often; and dont’t wait to long thinking, just buy it now before it gets sold.

A lot of collectors talk about looking at Heritage’s database of past auction sales, as well as the lack of (or limited) that database aavailability on ComicLink, so this is similar information that can be useful.  

I certainly have the inner desire to know what a piece sold for on a dealer's site, but isn't leaving the price up intrusive to the buyer's privacy (long after the fact). I just find it interesting that we all talk about how much other people's pieces went for but we never disclose how much we paid for ours.

45 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I certainly have the inner desire to know what a piece sold for on a dealer's site, but isn't leaving the price up intrusive to the buyer's privacy (long after the fact). I just find it interesting that we all talk about how much other people's pieces went for but we never disclose how much we paid for ours.

I get asked quite a bit to supply scans and prices once I've sold a high end original. I will respond with a refusal to send the scan and price.

My web site is set up so once a page is sold, it automatically disappears from the site.

MI

4 hours ago, aka Rick1 said:

In an ideal website, I would like to see a separate gallery of sold items and what they sold for.

I don't think any of them that actually update their site (when an item sells) leave the price that it went for. There are probably a lot of reasons for it, including potential future pricing of work by the same artist.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:16 AM, aka Rick1 said:

I actually like seeing “what I missed out on” as it shows me what I could have had, and especially like seeing the sale price.

Agreed, I don’t like sifting through inventory, placing an inventory, only to find out items have been long since sold.  I don’t complain about websites designed where new items have to be inquired or ordered, only to have someone else bet me to the piece with a confirmed reply, that’s just the nature of that design.

In an ideal website, I would like to see a separate gallery of sold items and what they sold for.  It provides me with the context of the dealer’s past inventory and pricing.  There’s a lot of dealers who handle pretty epic pieces, or exclusively represent certain artists, and it’s nice to see what was once available.  

From a marketing standpoint, it is somewhat strategic showing what was available but sold, so it tells potential buyers they need to read the emailed announcements; updates; log on more often; and dont’t wait to long thinking, just buy it now before it gets sold.

A lot of collectors talk about looking at Heritage’s database of past auction sales, as well as the lack of (or limited) that database aavailability on ComicLink, so this is similar information that can be useful.  

While it might be interesting information to discover, I don’t think this is a good idea. I know I would not want what I paid for a piece to be public information. I think once a deal is done, the sale details should not be posted.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, artdealer said:

I get asked quite a bit to supply scans and prices once I've sold a high end original. I will respond with a refusal to send the scan and price.

My web site is set up so once a page is sold, it automatically disappears from the site.

MI

Do you respond to inquiries with a description of the art (book/page?)

I've never asked for them, but I do wish you'd leave them up as "sold/on hold" for at least 24 hours. 

It's so frustrating to see your "new art" posts in this forum, advertising art that is missing from the site. 

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

Why? Afraid the wife will finally unravel the whole thing? ;)

Not a consideration. 

It breaks my first rule of collecting: never write down what you spend on a true hobby (as it may lead to curtailed spending). 

Also, if someone comes along wanting to buy said artwork several years in the future, you don't have to deal with the inevitable "I know you paid X, so I will offer Y (which is a small pittance increase)"

Plus, it's nunya (directed not at you, but anyone on the interwebs)

7 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Not a consideration. 

It breaks my first rule of collecting: never write down what you spend on a true hobby (as it may lead to curtailed spending). 

Also, if someone comes along wanting to buy said artwork several years in the future, you don't have to deal with the inevitable "I know you paid X, so I will offer Y (which is a small pittance increase)"

I could never apply your first rule, it's fun to see what I've spent over time, such as on con sketches 15 years ago. 

Plus sometimes I need to curtail spending...

21 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Not a consideration. 

Weirdly, many people don't do this when they buy a house. The sales price is generally public information. So, you know exactly how much someone paid for a house you are bidding on. And you can also look up to see how many years they have been paying a mortgage on it, to estimate what they still owe. You can even see if a second mortgage has been taken out.

6 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Do you respond to inquiries with a description of the art (book/page?)

I've never asked for them, but I do wish you'd leave them up as "sold/on hold" for at least 24 hours. 

It's so frustrating to see your "new art" posts in this forum, advertising art that is missing from the site. 

I'm sorry, but it just will never happen. My concern is to sell art.

Mixed feelings on the topic for me. I like seeing that a piece of art was available even if it's sold out. But yeah the dealers who have art that is sold but they don't update the art as sold are the worst. I've run into that on occasion when I think I'm going to get a piece, call in or attempt to order and find out it's sold out. Then I'm informed it sold days or weeks ago. Then why not do a simple website update?

I hate them too. Sometimes I buy art that I believe I can sell or trade for a bit higher than what I paid. But there sits the page/price on the net because the lazy inconsiderate seller won't take it down. Gives the person I'm trying to deal with ammunition to argue with me.

On the flip side/// I've seen pages for example that I'm trying to buy say $3000 and I do a search, to see it sold recently for $1500. Obviously that is a big help to me to decide whether I'm over paying.

But I do hate dealers who won't remove sold pages anyway!!!

Remember one thing..art is worth what some one is willing to pay for it. People get hung up on flipping art as a negative thing. It can be annoying especially as it's done by a few dealers rightfully scorched routinely on this site. However if you see a page with unlimited growth potential don't get hung up on, " I could've had it for $500 and now he wants to sell for $900," If you can see the future of that page paying off buy it! If not let it pass and don't get stressed out.

All the best. I respect all the great opinions expressed here.

mike

On 3/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, grapeape said:

I could've had it for $500 and now he wants to sell for $900," If you can see the future of that page paying off buy it!

That is a 56% return on investment. You will excuse me, but yes, that would annoy me as a flip. It would not annoy me as a 2 year hold.