• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can't stand dealers who keep sold art listed !
1 1

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

well, there isn't much alternative, is there? 

Works better without cutting off the rest of the post. 

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Hi Felix.

I never want to tell anyone how to do their business. You know what works for you.  

For me its not fun to shop in a site where so much art is sold. It discourages me browsing past the first few lines. Even if unsold stuff is below. Some would say -My loss.

I may be wrong but comiccon art has a gallery section seperate from the sales section so you can see prime art by each artist without it showing up on the sales page.

And while its up to you how you organize the pages - perhaps there is a way to keep the for sale/not yet sold items at the top or if mixed up - then with a highlight box around it or some other easy to scan through method.

My 2c

Thanks, Dan.

In the end, it's impossible to have the perfect website for everyone. What I've been doing seems to be working thus far and so (out of superstition, if nothing else) I'm going to keep doing it. Until it stops working.

But I hear you. I think one compromise would be to have the option of "turning off" sold items, as I believe Alex is suggesting. I'll make a note of that for the next site update.

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

no sir- i was not referring to you, felix.

(thumbsu

When you brought it up, the first thing that came to mind was a recent (but NOT FRESH!) instance where a broker put up a high-profile piece as "sold" on his site after the fact. Much to the consternation of the buyer. But in fairness, he DID help sell it, even if it was simply acting as the middleman.

40 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Thanks, Dan.

In the end, it's impossible to have the perfect website for everyone. What I've been doing seems to be working thus far and so (out of superstition, if nothing else) I'm going to keep doing it. Until it stops working.

But I hear you. I think one compromise would be to have the option of "turning off" sold items, as I believe Alex is suggesting. I'll make a note of that for the next site update.

This I agree with. Have the option to search only unsold pages. 

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

I think one compromise would be to have the option of "turning off" sold items, as I believe Alex is suggesting. I'll make a note of that for the next site update.

Yep. I wish everyone that kept sold stuff on the site (something I like) had this option. I'd like the sold pieces even more if the price were retained. 

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

My situation is different from Romitaman's and Albert's in that I'm a rep, not a dealer. My job isn't to sell art I own; rather, it's to help promote the work of artists I rep. Which means making sure their art gets seen!

Art sells quickly off our site. If I were to remove the art the sold right away, most people will have never have had a chance to see it. I believe the more people who are exposed to it, the more who will want it when I have new art down the line. Hopefully.

As it is, everything is left up under "New Art Added" for 90 days:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewItems.asp?Type=a&Order=date&List=584

After 90 days, it rolls off the page. I also update each artist's page quarterly (approximately) to remove sold items from their main page. So for my site, sold items are generally up for 90 days. Certainly not forever.

(A smaller consideration is that there are scan collectors who appreciate being able to save scans from the site. No immediate benefit to us, except I believe some scan collectors eventually become art collectors.)

I know this doesn't work for everyone, that some would rather all sold art be removed immediately. But this is what's been working for us. I don't believe we'd be doing better if we removed art from the site as it sold. So until anything changes in that regard, we'll be staying the course, and hope you understand.

When browsing an artist page on your site, it'd be nice if there were a filter / radio button / however you want to set it up that would hide all sold items. It isn't a huge problem, but a lot of UX design is about the little things.

Edit: And just to add, you already have one of the best rep / art sites out there with regards to modern practices and ease of use. More than the sold / available filter, for your site, an ability to scroll through an artists pages in a gallery view is the feature I'd like best to see. As is, I have to separately open a page in another tab, view that image, close the tab, open the next image in another tab, etc.  Ideally I'd be able to open an image and have a forward / back arrow to scroll through without all of the opening / closing currently involved.

Edited by SquareChaos

...or dealers on CAF that boast "New Art Site" that haven't added new art in nearly 4 years...but I digress...don't mind sold as long as it's in a folder called "sold".  I like being able to reference images.

5 hours ago, Nexus said:

Thanks, Dan.

Being able to turn off the sold items would be great.  Right now everything on the home page of your site is sold.  It definitely shows that things are selling.  Looking forward to making my first purchase from you very soon, Felix.  I just hope I'm fast enough when the art I'm interested in drops.

18 hours ago, Nexus said:

My situation is different from Romitaman's and Albert's in that I'm a rep, not a dealer. My job isn't to sell art I own; rather, it's to help promote the work of artists I rep. Which means making sure their art gets seen!

Art sells quickly off our site. If I were to remove the art the sold right away, most people will have never have had a chance to see it. I believe the more people who are exposed to it, the more who will want it when I have new art down the line. Hopefully.

As it is, everything is left up under "New Art Added" for 90 days:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewItems.asp?Type=a&Order=date&List=584

After 90 days, it rolls off the page. I also update each artist's page quarterly (approximately) to remove sold items from their main page. So for my site, sold items are generally up for 90 days. Certainly not forever.

(A smaller consideration is that there are scan collectors who appreciate being able to save scans from the site. No immediate benefit to us, except I believe some scan collectors eventually become art collectors.)

I know this doesn't work for everyone, that some would rather all sold art be removed immediately. But this is what's been working for us. I don't believe we'd be doing better if we removed art from the site as it sold. So until anything changes in that regard, we'll be staying the course, and hope you understand.

Then why not just write "sold" under it? If you want, add an asterisk and explain on your site that this is done as a public accommodation to people who just like to look at art. Now, you've done your good deed without inadvertently doing a bad one, too.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then why not just write "sold" under it? If you want, add an asterisk and explain on your site that this is done as a public accommodation to people who just like to look at art. Now, you've done your good deed without inadvertently doing a bad one, too.

You didn't click the link to see for yourself. :facepalm: Everything that's sold IS marked "SOLD". The art is simply left up for 90 days to view.

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

You didn't click the link to see for yourself. :facepalm: Everything that's sold IS marked "SOLD". The art is simply left up for 90 days to view.

You are right, I didn't. That's not particularly bad, in my opinion.  

The ones which annoy me are where the item has been sold and it remains listed as though it has not been sold.

32 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You are right, I didn't. That's not particularly bad, in my opinion.  

The ones which annoy me are where the item has been sold and it remains listed as though it has not been sold.

It's not super annoying, but it isn't user friendly either. More and more traffic will drive to CAT, and eventually the site will have large influence if it chooses to exercise it.

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

It's not super annoying, but it isn't user friendly either. More and more traffic will drive to CAT, and eventually the site will have large influence if it chooses to exercise it.

Its influence deserves to grow, but don't forget an important point: scrapers only scrape words, not pictures. If you are searching for a specific subject instead of a specific artist, and the text box doesn't mention the character you want, CAT can't pick it up.  One good example is a Phantom Stranger watercolor wash I found while generally searching by image and which was mistakenly listed as the "Phantom Strangler". 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, zhamlau said:

To each their own, I try not to get to bent up about how someone else runs their business. BUT I will say I'm not a fan of "gone but not forgotten" CAF postings if someone else has that page in their gallery at the same time. They paid the price, that's their piece now.  I feel if they are also are showing it in their gallery you should show them the courtesy of not also promoting it in yours. Just my 2c

I have a SOLD folder in my CAF but it's inactive so 'for my eyes only' and serves as a personal record of stuff I've sold over the years.

4 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

How about ones that have an item listed and sell it to you.  Then write and advise that the website had a glitch and relisted a piece that had already sold.  Yep, that tends to limit my buying experience with them in the future.

ah yes. And relisted at a higher price too.  No doubt they clued in that the price was too low when they were hit with too many purchase requests.  That happened to me a few times, but you just take note and move on.

Malvin

I'm mostly into collecting Movie Poster artworks these days.  One of the UK web-sites selling Movie art I buy from defaults SOLD artworks to follow-on directly underneath the FOR SALE items.  I quite like that idea, which works beautifully for me, as I like to see what else has surfaced for sale in past times (even if no longer available).  

Edited by The Voord