• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointed in cover of ST 110
2 2

28 posts in this topic

What a lousy cover for first apperence of Dr. Strange. I’m in the mindset to sell mine (3.5) and buy a bunch of books to complete my xmen 94 - 150 run. Eager to begin reading the Clairmont stuff (in comic book form) and check out interior Byrne art  (never read that legendary run before)

any thoughts on the intelligence of such a move from the Peanut Gallery ???

Edited by NoMan

Don’t know if it’s “smart” to sell it is all. It would prolly have to be a year or two to get at least what I have in it. Overpaid impulse buy, so what’s new. Let me check GPA

Edited by NoMan

Just now, NoMan said:

Don’t know if it’s “smart” to sell it is all. 

I think the book in terms of price growth has flat-lined and will stay that way for a bit. It’s a silver age key so it will increase in value over time. 

If you’re more a fan of the X-Men, I would sell it and buy a IH 181.

29 minutes ago, piper said:

I think the book in terms of price growth has flat-lined and will stay that way for a bit. It’s a silver age key so it will increase in value over time. 

If you’re more a fan of the X-Men, I would sell it and buy a IH 181.

Truth be told I paid 1200$. Last GPAs are around 1100$ There’s a stupid ebay seller trying for 1900$ and one for 1700$ with DTLA (think that was what the online place was called)  didn’t do an ebay completed listing thingee cause I’m on my phone and it’s painfull enough using this thing

i bought at height of movie hype in 2016 (Was just back into hobby after long absense so lesson learned) 

i really don’t know how I feel about IH181. Read the story in reprint form and it was ok. It’s a no brainer investment-wise but if I’m going that route I’d try to spend a little more for mid-grade but theres so many more books I enjoy more, story and art wise, that I doubt an IH 181 is in my future. 

Edited by NoMan

Pep 22, More Fun Comics 101, Our Army at War 83, Savage Tales 1, and Strange Tales 110 are some examples of what makes collecting comics such an interesting and diverse hobby. How boring would it be if every comic had to follow a rule requiring the "first appearance of new character be on the cover?" It's the nuances that help to make this a hobby worth discussing and debating over. Even the op's point here about the cover of ST 110 is a fun thing to discuss- there are those collectors who couldn't care less for this cover while others don't mind or like the classic Paste Pot Pete cover (I'm sure there's a seller out there trying this angle to sell a copy "First Dr. Strange app. and classic Paste Pot Pete cover"). 

Variety adds spice to life...and the comics!

Buy the Omnibus and then, if you still feel the need, buy the actual comics. You'll probably still want the books, but if you keep the ST 110, You won't have a pocketful of money, and will be less likely to spend like a drunken sailor (and overpay) on the X books :preach: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

...if you must get rid of the ST 110, trade it for another SA Key..............

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

The value lies in the pages and sometimes the cover doesn't tell the whole story.I myself love the character and that is the value for me,sell it and you will always regret it imho   (thumbsu

Never judge a book by the cover!

Thanks for input guys. Makes sense to keep ST 110. only need about 10 comics to complete xmen run and I’ve already got a nice 94 (thanks  Grebal) and a nice 101   (thanks bob storm) . 

Better get #130 soon as all the Dazzler speculators are gonna screw with my wallet. 

BTW I’ve got the strange takes omnibus that collects only the Dr strange stuff. Man that panel in 110 with the rain in the window as Stephen Strange starts to panic proves Ditko is the master. 

Edited by NoMan

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

BTW I’ve got the strange takes omnibus that collects only the Dr strange stuff. Man that panel in 110 with the rain in the window as Stephen Strange starts to panic proves Ditko is the master. 

I really love Ditko's work on Doc Strange - but you're right about ST 110 having the worst 'first appearance key' cover of all Marvel superheroes, no Dr. Strange and unexceptional cover to boot.  Marvel really didn't think much of the Doctor, he never even got his own cover of Strange Tales (without sharing with Torch/Thing or Nick Fury) until Ditko's very last work on Dr. Strange - ST 146 - which is probably why they chose #146 as cover to the Omnibus volume.

Glad you decided your ST 110 a keeper, and jealous of your X-Men 101 - I finally got a copy last year to complete my 94-150 run, but it's missing a small chunk on front cover, so though I've given up the perpetual chore of "upgrading" I definitely need a nicer copy than I have.  Unfortunately it's become such a popular issue I see some collectors including 101 on their list of Bronze Age Keys.

Edited by grebal

31 minutes ago, grebal said:

I really love Ditko's work on Doc Strange - but you're right about ST 110 having the worst 'first appearance key' cover of all Marvel superheroes, no Dr. Strange and unexceptional cover to boot.  Marvel really didn't think much of the Doctor, he never even got his own cover of Strange Tales (without sharing with Torch/Thing or Nick Fury) until Ditko's very last work on Dr. Strange - ST 146 - which is probably why they chose #146 as cover to the Omnibus volume.

Glad you decided your ST 110 a keeper, and jealous of your X-Men 101 - I finally got a copy last year to complete my 94-150 run, but it's missing a small chunk on front cover, so though I've given up the perpetual chore of "upgrading" I definitely need a nicer copy than I have.  Unfortunately it's become such a popular issue I see some collectors including 101 on their list of Bronze Age Keys.

Wonder if the lack of love for Dr. S. is becuse Strange is a Ditko creation and not a Lee one. Lee admits this (that Strange was a Ditko idea) in one of the soapbox columns of the day. 

The lack of early covers was intentional, as I understand it.

Stan initially wanted Dr. Strange to be mysterious- something one discovered rather than his usual, sledge-hammer hard sell. To a degree it worked, and Doc was a huge hit with the college readers. 

I find it an interesting change, and the approach adds to my enjoyment of the series.

The cover is kinda the first appearance of the Frightful Four, so maybe that helps?

It’s s great book with a garbage cover.  I doubt that, when it came out, it was thought of as anything bigger than a throwaway story.  Why would Strange warrant a cover?

The book has only exploded in the past 10 (at best!) years.