• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else snapping up copies of Marvel Superheroes #13?
3 3

64 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2018 at 11:29 PM, zosocane said:

What you might not be considering is that speculators have stockpiled mid- and higher-grade copies of this book when news of the movie came out 3 years ago.  They helped to set the price at current levels, and they now hold a lot of the supply which Is what we see for sale.  On eBay alone over 50 copies are for sale.  This is not a tough book. If you're looking to invest in the tougher 9.4 to 9.8 copies, then, sure, maybe there is room for growth in those books.

+1

This book is just as common as any other mid to late 60s Marvel in GD to VF condition. It starts to get tougher at the 8.0 range due to the square-bound red cover, but even then there are plenty of high grade copies out there. Most of the speculators (myself included) bought copies a couple of years ago when the initial Ms. Marvel rumors came out when it was ice cold and selling well below GPA or OSPG (for raw books).

There may be a bit more room to grow price-wise, but the big gains will likely have been locked in on the low to mid grade copies already.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

+1

This book is just as common as any other mid to late 60s Marvel in GD to VF condition. It starts to get tougher at the 8.0 range due to the square-bound red cover, but even then there are plenty of high grade copies out there. Most of the speculators (myself included) bought copies a couple of years ago when the initial Ms. Marvel rumors came out when it was ice cold and selling well below GPA or OSPG (for raw books).

There may be a bit more room to grow price-wise, but the big gains will likely have been locked in on the low to mid grade copies already.

I own a 7.0 and have thought about upgrading (with low priority) over the past few months so have been keeping an eye on ebay.  For the grades directly below and directly above, they have increased by 50-100% in just the past few months - I believe Infinity War gave it the spike. 

Of course the best gains to be had are if you got in earlier.  But to say the book isn't moving anymore because of "events" is false.  The 6.5 grade has doubled on ebay from 325-350 to 650-700 in just 2-3 months.  I believe what's happening is as the 8.0 goes to $1500+ and 9.0 goes to $2500+ the 6/7 range is becoming the sweet spot budget wise.  You're always going to have some BIN priced way above going rate and eventually everything beneath that gets snapped up - these outrageous BIN's then become the only option for a new group of buyers.  There are always second and third wave buyers who buy into the hype (at a higher price).  This is essentially how every spike/bubble forms.  

Now I'm just a collector - and make my investments in other medium.  But if the CM movie does well and the character becomes a fan favorite no doubt there will be more room for this book to grow in value.  

5 hours ago, 234wallst said:

I own a 7.0 and have thought about upgrading (with low priority) over the past few months so have been keeping an eye on ebay.  For the grades directly below and directly above, they have increased by 50-100% in just the past few months - I believe Infinity War gave it the spike. 

Of course the best gains to be had are if you got in earlier.  But to say the book isn't moving anymore because of "events" is false.  The 6.5 grade has doubled on ebay from 325-350 to 650-700 in just 2-3 months.  I believe what's happening is as the 8.0 goes to $1500+ and 9.0 goes to $2500+ the 6/7 range is becoming the sweet spot budget wise.  You're always going to have some BIN priced way above going rate and eventually everything beneath that gets snapped up - these outrageous BIN's then become the only option for a new group of buyers.  There are always second and third wave buyers who buy into the hype (at a higher price).  This is essentially how every spike/bubble forms.  

Now I'm just a collector - and make my investments in other medium.  But if the CM movie does well and the character becomes a fan favorite no doubt there will be more room for this book to grow in value.  

Personally I tend to agree. I think it has quite a bit of room to grow.

Look at Black Panther? Captain Marvel is the next face of the MCU, also a leading woman character. At sub 900 graded (granted that will likely increase 50% over the next year), there's not a considerable amount of stock in comparison to other late 60's Marvel keys.

Is now the right time to buy? I don't know, it's a gamble. But there's still a few "deals" to be had if you're quick. 8.0's are solidly at $1500 as noted now, but there's a few at closer to $1200...maybe there's still time to snag one.

I thought it would be fun to revive this topic given the crazy success of the opening weekend for the movie. 9.0 copies and above seem to have remained consistent at 100 total on the CGC Census. I thought we might see a spike in submissions, but those high grades continue to be very rare. Currently there are two 9.4 copies listed on eBay. I’m sure the sellers of both attempted to time it with the movie’s release, but that’s really not very many considering. 

Edited by Xatari

So... what happened to this book? Quite the fall from grace! Prices have declined by 50% from last year. Is now a good time to buy? (shrug)

Is this just a casting (Brie Larson) issue? Or is the book back to where it should be given the insane run-up?

9 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

So... what happened to this book? Quite the fall from grace! Prices have declined by 50% from last year. Is now a good time to buy? (shrug)

Is this just a casting (Brie Larson) issue? Or is the book back to where it should be given the insane run-up?

I would think it would go up again when the next CM movie comes out but yes, it has fallen pretty sharply. 

never gonna be a big key book. this was all movie hype. even if she becomes the most popular marvel female superhero ever (unlikely with black widow soon to open) this book does not feature her on the cover, or as the actual character inside. covers generally matter. FF48 notwithstanding (though one could argue both ss and galactus are implied on that one).

47 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

never gonna be a big key book. this was all movie hype. even if she becomes the most popular marvel female superhero ever (unlikely with black widow soon to open) this book does not feature her on the cover, or as the actual character inside. covers generally matter. FF48 notwithstanding (though one could argue both ss and galactus are implied on that one).

I get all that but there's movie hype and then there's this bloodbath... I see Brie Larson has apparently  rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but I don't get why that would translate to this level of tanking. 

On 6/14/2018 at 8:40 PM, Howling Mad said:
On 6/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, 234wallst said:

Personally I tend to agree. I think it has quite a bit of room to grow.

Well, looks like even with a hugely sucessful movie, the book still seem to follow the ususal movie hyped book with all of the speculators jumping off and trying to offload their copies, as evident by this post here:  :frown:

5 hours ago, dikran1 said:

So... what happened to this book? Quite the fall from grace! Prices have declined by 50% from last year.

:tonofbricks:

On 11/29/2018 at 6:23 AM, SilverMAge said:

The MSH 13 CGC 9.6 finished the Featured Auction on CL at $31,111

Makes me wonder which ones of these CGC label buyers will be the least unhappy going forward, say 5 short years from now:

1)  The buyer on this 2nd highest 9.6 graded copy of MSH 13 for $31,111; 

2)  The buyer of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Hulk 181 for $59,000;

3)  The buyer of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Fantastic Four 52 for $90,000; 

4)  The buyer of the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Tomb of Dracula 10 for $85,000; or

5)  The buyer of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Eternals 13 for something like $4,100?

hm  O.o

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder which ones of these CGC label buyers will be the least unhappy going forward, say 5 short years from now:

5)  The buyer of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Eternals 13 for something like $4,100?

hm  O.o

Mind boggling... :facepalm:

58 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

hm  O.o

Probably the Dracula owner--at least FF52 could get a bounce from BP2, or a successful FF movie. But the Dracula books depends entirely on Blade doing well, and that price point...yeesh.

3 hours ago, dikran1 said:

I get all that but there's movie hype and then there's this bloodbath... I see Brie Larson has apparently  rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but I don't get why that would translate to this level of tanking. 

i dont think theres a bloodbath. i just think the hype was out of control for this book as it has been for many others (avengers 55 first ultron? really??)

it's just settling back to a fair price now. and as i said, since it has nothing visually going for it, i dont think its a great bet for the future. i think the movie did well and i enjoyed it. brie larson was great. i dont think it's at all about the fact that some people are not into her. theres haters for everything these days. 

On 4/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, dikran1 said:

I think there was speculation that Captain Marvel would be a bigger deal in Avengers Endgame. She ended up being hardly in the movie and was more of a plot device to bail out the Avengers in the beginning and the end when things got tough. I think after that, folks thought Captain Marvel wouldn't amount to much in the MCU and people wondered if she'd even get a sequel.

But Kevin Feige himself has said that she will soon be at the forefront of the MCU. Now, not only is the Captain Marvel sequel confirmed, but a strong industry rumor says her sequel will set up the next Avengers movie (much like Civil War did) with Carol Danvers as the new team leader.

Now might be a good time to pick up MSH #13 while it's down.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:10 PM, dikran1 said:
On 4/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, lou_fine said:

hm  O.o

Mind boggling... :facepalm:

This is why I don't really pay much attention to CL auctions since I figure that if you really want to win a book, you usually have to throw in stratospheric bid  in order to beat out the snipers that might pop in at the end.  :censored:

Then again, if I had the highest graded copy of a relatively common book other than for its uber highgrade, I certainly know where i would auction it off since CL would appear to be the go to site for all of the CGC label collectors who's willing to pay through the teeth to acquire a label that they want.  :flipbait:    :takeit:

On 4/19/2020 at 3:30 PM, lou_fine said:

hm  O.o

I vote the MSH 13 at CGC 9.6. Carol Danvers with no powers is in about 5 panels in the book. At least with the others you knew you got a full story about the character throughout the book. And it must kill the buyer to know they overpaid that much on movie hype but there is one person out there holding a CGC 9.8.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, SilverMAge said:

hm  O.o

I vote the MSH 13 at CGC 9.6. Carol Danvers with no powers is in about 5 panels in the book. At least with the others you knew you got a full story about the character throughout the book. And it must kill the buyer to know they overpaid that much on movie hype but there is one person out there holding a CGC 9.8.

Well, guess what..........it looks like that one person holding onto the CGC highest graded copy of MSH 13 has decided to take a shot and see if it can break the $31,111 record price to date:

RAD8E2E72020629_142822.jpg

It really shouldn't be that much of a problem though with all of the hype that CL is giving to this book in their upcoming Summer Feature Auction, plus the fact that CL is the pre-eminent home for all of the CGC label chasers and CGC Registry points chasers.  :flipbait:

hm  O.o

Well, not sure who won this contest here, but all I can say is that after tonight's CL auction result for MSH 13, I think the buyer of the $31,111 copy would be none too happy:  :mad:  :censored:  

00061612396000110266267008.jpg

Especially since tonight's equivalent CGC 9.6 graded copy sold for only $16,450 or for only about half of the price which they had paid for their copy back in November of 2018.  :tonofbricks:  :cry: