• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Okay, let's be honest here, the story in Hulk 180-182 is not very good and almost definitely would not, could not and should not be the foundation for a decent MCU movie. 

None of the movies are the exact replicates of the comics.  That doesn't mean you can't use Hulk 181 as part of the foundation to make a good movie.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, lou_fine said:

I will say this, it is definitely a good sign when a book is able to sell for increasing prices across all condition grade levels and even more so, if they can achieve these rising prices for restored copies.

To me, that's a sign of a true investment quality collectible, as opposed to a book that is only able to sell at the highest graded levels only and yet pretty much unable to sell for anything in lower than that nosebleed condition level.  hm

Was watching the back end of the Heritage auction earlier today and it's definitely a good sign of a very strong and healthy marketplace when you see book after book in "non-high grade" condition go for multiples of condition guide.  (thumbsu

For example, just take a look at the VF 8.0 graded copy of Millie the Model #2 that sold for almost $18K or over 50X condition guide or the VF- 7.5 graded copy of Betty & Veronica that sold for almost $4K or about 36X Overstreet listed condition guide.  :whatthe:

I'm not . Probably because I bought in a few years back and my cost was at a fraction of today's prices. However, when or if this book pops the entire CGC comic market will.  The book is a top key of one of the most popular superheroes of all time. It's an essential must have for many high grade collectors. Yes there are a lot more 181's in these grades than say AF #15 but its price is still but a small fraction to pay for such a popular character in the highest end of grades. 

There are enough people in this hobby with more than enough "mad" money to buy up these 9.4's, 9.2's  etc. at the current or even higher prices. 

I'd drop 10 grand tomorrow for a 9.4 if I had to. It's not an investment to everyone. I'm convinced there are  many others  out there that would do the same if they had too. 

My guess is that $7300 will be the 9.2 price and $10,000 will be the 9.4 price before too long. 

I don't think it will slow down anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Is anyone worried we might be going through a frenzied bubble period right now?

No, Wolverine is the most popular and celebrated superhero in the world. Hulk is also a beloved superhero internationally.

Most of the 80's and 90's Wolverine books are good reads in any language translation and have withstood the test of time. Wolverine as Patch, Lazarus Project, the epic Sabertooth battles, Weapon X,  Punisher War journal 6/7, the entire Claremont X-men run... nothing really comes close in terms of quality comic book literature. 

Wolverine is Canada's first superhero, 

Wolverine has grown massively popular in China over the last few years. 

The global demand for 181 is skyrocketing with no end in sight!

Its only a matter of time before we see a Disney Hulk Vs Wolverine movie. aka disneys version of a tranformers like spectacle. Hell it can be a 2 hour long slugfest with no dialogue and still make 2 billion.. in China alone. Disney is hurting to make it in China.. X-men/Wolverine are a huge key to that success.

We still have yet to see a Wolverine on screen with iconic mask!

With a fickle stock market currently on our hands, Hulk 181 is probably one of the best investments anyone could make other than real estate in 'green' friendly states like Colorado or Washington.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

The book has grown its Wings... there was a time when she was in reach... now she's a whole different monster...

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

it's pretty out of line with other recent sales. i think someone is hoping that copy will upgrade with a resubmit. it sure looks like a perfect copy, and could definitely come back as a 9.6, in which case it would have been a good price. 

12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it's pretty out of line with other recent sales. i think someone is hoping that copy will upgrade with a resubmit. it sure looks like a perfect copy, and could definitely come back as a 9.6, in which case it would have been a good price. 

That was my first thought on that as well.   Pretty big gamble either way though.  

On that note, call me crazy but 9.6's seem WAY under valued compared to 9.8's which are now at $24k and 9.4's ($5500-$7300) and below.  Seems to me that a 9.6 should have an FMV closer to $12k-$13k.  And I swear I'm saying that from a completely, totally 100% unbiased opinion. ;)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, shane1956 said:

I bought in a few years back and my cost was at a fraction of today's prices.

I bought in a few years back too! (1975) lol

Edited by divad

On 2/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jaydogrules said:

For the buyer's sake, I sure hope they get the upgrade to a 9.6 that they're hoping for.

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Bought my copy in 1974.  :wink:   

:baiting:

Ah, my mistake, I was adding the months the wrong way . . . (thumbsu

hulk%20181-9.8.jpg

Edited by divad

So many copies of this book are in the hands of people who have no business tying up their finances in high priced comic books. 

When the next speed bump hits the economy these books will be for sale everywhere and these same fools who lack the disposable income to buy such an expensive toy will take it in the shorts.

I would never buy comic book the way this one is being bought up for speculation, but if you look at supply and demand, the SW #1 35 cent variant will certainly remain as king of the hill.

Even the krappy 2015 SW relaunch by Marvel sold the most copies of any book in the last 25 years.

The supply of the 35 cent variant is so low, it stands a much better chance of weathering a storm.