• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2018 at 12:06 PM, paul747 said:

I think that Hulk #181 has real demand and real appreciation. We would need a huge comic book crash for this book to really come back down. At that point there will be lots of books to choose from. If this market stays healthy, the ship has left the port and will continue to climb.  Hulk #181 is a top book to own especially in 9.6-9.8  I don't think it will be cheaper so buy one if you want one. 10,200 CGC copies and only 100 9.8 copies it would take a lot to kill that demand for a top book of a character soon to be fully owned by Disney. Just an opinion.

Agreed. It's unclear what the catalyst for a sudden severe dip would be? Maybe if the MCU doesn't get full rights to the x-men I guess. I still don't think that would cause a significant drop in valuation though. Some people seem to be seeing a 181 crash behind every telephone pole! IMO the book has enjoyed a steady organic increase due to the popularity of the character

As for macro economy & stock market if the great recession wasn't enough to really hurt major silver & bronze keys I don't think a typical downturn would. Only thing that could possibly be affected a bit in that scenario would be the lower graded 181s. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:08 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

perhaps i can take one of those off your hands and ease your pain. 

Indeed.  No need for you to continue suffering.  We are here to alleviate your mental distress.  

45 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Ugh kickin myself for selling my 9.0 white pager with a perfect wrap too soon last year :frustrated:  I deserve one of these :makepoint:

We've all done it.  I sold my 9.4 over 10 years ago and never replaced it. Now I have 3 copies (9.2, 7.5, 7.0) to make myself feel better :)  

Edited by Kevin76

9 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

We've all done it.  I sold my 9.4 over 10 years ago and never replaced it. Now I have 3 copies (9.2, 7.5, 7.0) to make myself feel better :)  

(thumbsu I've come to realize that one should never sell a hot book without having a backup copy first. It's the only way to stay in the game and not get seller's remorse.

all grades now officially on fire. people here talking last year about how crazy it was that a 7.5 was $1500, now it's almost 3k for that grade with white pages. this seller also has a feeback score of 2. i want to get more copies but perhaps buying at the peak is not the best move. 

hulk181-7.5.jpg

the 9.4 that just sold on ebay was at a store in st louis. i spoke to them on the phone. their store price was $6,400, i wanted it, but the guy didn't want to deal with shipping. it was a bit baffling since he has to ship through ebay too, but in the end he waited for his price, and got it. after his fees he still came out a bit ahead, assuming he has an ebay store. it's very tough to imagine that the book will go up much more in the near term. but everyone who has said this has been proven wrong before. 

one thing is clear, the premium for nice white page copies seems to also be increasing. they seem less common than on ASM129 in all mid to high grades.