• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Hahahaha!

So are you really saying (this below)?  

Excited new owner on cloud 9 jumping for joy after purchasing this book shouldn't have any words with you?  :popcorn:

Haha, well, they can't see the book through my eyes and vice versa, so I don't want to tell anyone that they shouldn't be happy because of my POV. I'm sure the buyer is more than mildly enthused to have secured a copy and hopefully it will be a treasured addition to a fine collection. Plus, they've got a Hulk 181 9.4 and I'm still waiting anxiously for the right copy to drop in my lap, so I certainly won't begrudge them having a copy of a book I would love to own. Honestly, being super-picky about stuff like that leads to a lot of frustration, too, so if they're not manacled with this level of nit-picking, more power to 'em!

16 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

If somehow I was the owner, I'd be planning to sell it to attain a better looking copy pronto.

The wrap on it is eye wrenching to behold. 

Not sure where they'll find a 9.4 with corners that sharp? "Better looking" is in the eye of the beholder

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not sure where they'll find a 9.4 with corners that sharp? "Better looking" is in the eye of the beholder

Absolutely to each his own of course.  But to me the wrap on high grade books is the foundation of what makes everything else less of an issue. 

Very close 2nd (interchangeable depending on what day you ask me) is no writing and limiting the number of ticks along the spine.     

Rounded corners don't bother me as much.  I've got to have that eye-candy pop of pure satisfaction or I'm leaning to trade or sell (for proper value of course).     

since the last reply to this thread, Hulk181 has seen a roughly 20 per cent increase in price for grades from 7.0 up to 9.4. ( i havent really followed lower grades) it's been an insanely fast explosion. in early april i was quoted prices that i did not act on, and within a week or two the same book had sold for $500-$1000 more. i haven't seen such a fast jump in price on another key book until recently. of course now every documented sale on gpa has everyone raising the price on theirs for another grand more than the last sale, so it can't last forever. might there be a drop, or just a plateau? remembering what happened with AF15 exploding last summer and then this year coming back down. 

With so many copies available in almost all grades, I predict prices will dip later on like AF 15.  I think AF 15 is like the "poster child" on what could happen when prices explode all of a sudden  and then take a slight hit in a year or so.

AF 15 just followed the lead of Hulk 1 - it blew up 3 or 4 years ago and prices have pretty much stagnated since then. Spidey 1 and FF 1 look to be in the blow up phase now, so we'll see what they look like in 2 or 3 years.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=incredible+hulk+181+cgc+&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Is there any reason why there is only 1 page of IH 181 for sale now?

Did everyone take them down for price adjusting? heh

16 minutes ago, 360racer said:

So many have sold. I’ve been bidding on a few 8+ and people are snapping them up for big $

wow, I'll have to check the sold tab (thumbsu I did notice the other day a 2.5 for nearly 1k and a 6.5 going for 2k....

Any thoughts on the recent prices? Is it because AF#15 is out of the price range of so many and this book is the next most popular character. After Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man I can’t think of a bigger character. Though I don’t know why it is now getting so expensive.

1 hour ago, FormerReader said:

Any thoughts on the recent prices? Is it because AF#15 is out of the price range of so many and this book is the next most popular character. After Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man I can’t think of a bigger character. Though I don’t know why it is now getting so expensive.

Iconic character that is very marketable (look at all the toys, etc), beautiful classic cover, and a comic that everyone wanted when they were growing up and now that they can possibly afford it, the possibility for Wolverine joining the MCU if the Disney-Fox deal passes...I think that's what driving the prices.  I think supply and demand also has a role to play in the prices, especially in higher grades. 

11 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I would agree that wolverine is the 2nd most popular marvel character after Spider-Man.

hulk 181....imagine if it was rare?

I still say there are fewer and fewer available on ebay for some odd reason ..... (shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=incredible+hulk+181+cgc+&_sacat=0

Only 67 results, mostly higher end stuff..... some lower grade, but blue label starts basically at 6.0 kind of odd... you would think that the uptick in price would bring more to the market if that "plentiful" compared to demand...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
.0 not .5

37 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I still say there are fewer and fewer available on ebay for some odd reason ..... (shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=incredible+hulk+181+cgc+&_sacat=0

Only 67 results, mostly higher end stuff..... some lower grade, but blue label starts basically at 6.0 kind of odd... you would think that the uptick in price would bring more to the market if that "plentiful" compared to demand...

I think many collectors like myself have to keep it in the collection. I don’t plan on ever selling my copy unless to upgrade. Hence less copies for sale than other plentiful issues and the extremely high demand leading to higher prices

6 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I think many collectors like myself have to keep it in the collection. I don’t plan on ever selling my copy unless to upgrade. Hence less copies for sale than other plentiful issues and the extremely high demand leading to higher prices

That's a definition of "club", I just never considered the exclusivity of it :foryou:

Wolverine hasn't even fully come back as a regular in the comics yet, and there is such demand....That's Impressive :)

3 hours ago, Supraman16 said:

Iconic character that is very marketable (look at all the toys, etc), beautiful classic cover, and a comic that everyone wanted when they were growing up and now that they can possibly afford it, the possibility for Wolverine joining the MCU if the Disney-Fox deal passes...I think that's what driving the prices.  I think supply and demand also has a role to play in the prices, especially in higher grades. 

All very valid points, but most of these have been true for a long time. The one point you make that I think may have some truth to it is the Disney-Fox deal. I wonder if the price is being driven up on that news. The only other thing I could come up with was the fact that Spidermans 1st appearance is out of reach for many people so they move to the next character in line.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I definitely see less available on ebay.  And even though the CGC census states over 10K copies graded, I suspect there is a lot less than this available; the reason for this is that the census is based on the number of submissions CGC gets to be graded.  This is no where representative of the actual number that actually exists.  Also after pressing services became more popular and available, I'm sure there are more resubmissions of the same issue that was previously graded in hopes of getting a higher grade.  Technically you should resubmit the CGC labels back so the census can be updated, but how many people do you think actually do that?!  Also take into account there are plenty of issues that have the MVS cut out and restored (this is one of the most popular issues to have someone do some touchup on the cover in hopes of selling for higher grade, only to be caught by CGC), you have much less blue labels out there than the census actually indicate.  In either case, I'm not selling my three 181's...I'm passing them on to my kids one day... 

6 hours ago, Supraman16 said:

I'm not selling my three 181's...I'm passing them on to my kids one day... 

You might reconsider. Perhaps optimize the sale for them and give them an IRA or a 329 account. You might get hit by a truck, and they set them out at the estate sale . . . :whatthe: