• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, divad said:

You might reconsider. Perhaps optimize the sale for them and give them an IRA or a 329 account. You might get hit by a truck, and they set them out at the estate sale . . . :whatthe:

I’m leaving explicit instructions on a piece of paper in my comic box about what they need to do in case I go. The hulk 181 is to be kept in the family forever lol

11 hours ago, divad said:

You might reconsider. Perhaps optimize the sale for them and give them an IRA or a 329 account. You might get hit by a truck, and they set them out at the estate sale . . . :whatthe:

IRA's, 529's, and stocks are good investments...I got all three already.  But comics are less volatile and at times appreciate much more than stocks.  Diversification is key, but holding onto some key comics, such as Hulk 181, that will never be reproduced and only keep going up in demand is even smarter. 

56 minutes ago, Supraman16 said:

Diversification is key, but holding onto some key comics, such as Hulk 181, that will never be reproduced and only keep going up in demand is even smarter. 

Interesting... people always talk about how new real estate has a limited supply, and with more people being born all the time, the amount of space is going to get tighter.  It's interesting to consider what we're all supposed to do with limited space for our property and assets. The long term potential for a comic like Hulk #181 is probably better than the long term potential for a Victorian piece of furniture of the same value, if for no other reason, because the comic takes up less space. :grin:

9 hours ago, Supraman16 said:

IRA's, 529's, and stocks are good investments...I got all three already.  But comics are less volatile and at times appreciate much more than stocks.  Diversification is key, but holding onto some key comics, such as Hulk 181, that will never be reproduced and only keep going up in demand is even smarter. 

My point only is that they may not be able to realize the same return if they are relatively uninformed. Happens every day. (See, Edgar Church Collection.)

Edited by divad

7 hours ago, jason4 said:

I’m leaving explicit instructions on a piece of paper in my comic box about what they need to do in case I go. The hulk 181 is to be kept in the family forever lol

You're leaving your will in a comic box??? lol

2 hours ago, divad said:

You're leaving your will in a comic box??? lol

For now lol. Only 34 years old so let’s hope it’s not needed. Comics all I really have at this point. 

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

Interesting... people always talk about how new real estate has a limited supply, and with more people being born all the time, the amount of space is going to get tighter.  It's interesting to consider what we're all supposed to do with limited space for our property and assets. The long term potential for a comic like Hulk #181 is probably better than the long term potential for a Victorian piece of furniture of the same value, if for no other reason, because the comic takes up less space. :grin:

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten in terms of building wealth is having income property...I'm working and saving towards that one day. The biggest downside is of course the hundreds of thousands dollars it takes to actually get a decent income property. In that context, high quality, in demand comics of key characters that will always be remembered and desired for years to come are much "cheaper". 

2 hours ago, Supraman16 said:

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten in terms of building wealth is having income property...I'm working and saving towards that one day. The biggest downside is of course the hundreds of thousands dollars it takes to actually get a decent income property. In that context, high quality, in demand comics of key characters that will always be remembered and desired for years to come are much "cheaper". 

It depends. I have found that my equities portfolio outperforms the real estate we dabble in from time to time (my wife still swears by real estate even though the financial statements say otherwise lol ). One big advantage of equities is that they are much more liquid than real estate - if you need to sell a property it may take months or even years in a down market. With equities, you can liquidate your position in seconds. From my experience, that is a huge differentiating factor between the asset classes. Heck, blue chip key comics are more liquid than real estate.

So, what would a "VF" conditioned IH 181 w/ the whole page that has the MVS cut out be worth? (price range). I think it's different that ones where cut the sliver of where the MVS is cutout. Also, how would CGC and/or CBCS classify that if one were to grade it? Just trying to gauge some information prior to pursuing this book. I haven't been quoted a price yet. Wanted to be prepared before it happens. Thanks in advance for any information from you all.

1 hour ago, jhkunc said:

So, what would a "VF" conditioned IH 181 w/ the whole page that has the MVS cut out be worth? (price range). I think it's different that ones where cut the sliver of where the MVS is cutout. Also, how would CGC and/or CBCS classify that if one were to grade it? Just trying to gauge some information prior to pursuing this book. I haven't been quoted a price yet. Wanted to be prepared before it happens. Thanks in advance for any information from you all.

I would guess $800 to $1,000.  It would get a Qualified (Green) label from CGC as an incomplete book.

8.0's were priced high to catch 9.2's and 7.0/ 7.5 followed suit, which explains why a 6.5 sold today for $2,500.... the 5.5 sold for $2,300, but was an auction.... so while I think hulk 181's demand is still very high, if you look there aren't really that many for sale on ebay. Other sites have met with eBay prices and sell just as well. 

Make of all that what you will :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

8.0's were priced high to catch 9.2's and 7.0/ 7.5 followed suit, which explains why a 6.5 sold today for $2,500.... the 5.5 sold for $2,300, but was an auction.... so while I think hulk 181's demand is still very high, if you look there aren't really that many for sale on ebay. Other sites have met with eBay prices and sell just as well. 

Make of all that what you will :foryou:

Wow there really isn't that many copies for sale anymore :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Wow there really isn't that many copies for sale anymore :whatthe:

ya, if you look up incredible hulk 181, and even in "all categories" search, there are only 45 listings..... now that's O.o 

either people are being priced out, holding their copies, are buying multiples and may be done, or all of the above lol idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
if

8 minutes ago, blackbears86 said:

Does anyone here think issues #180, #182 have room to move with collectors being priced out of #181?  (especially issue #180?) 

alot of people here think so, no question. but, despite 180 being his first appearance in one panel, 181 will still always be “the” wolverine book that everyone seeks out. can’t beat that cover!