• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

alot of people here think so, no question. but, despite 180 being hisI' first appearance in one panel, 181 will still always be “the” wolverine book that everyone seeks out. can’t beat that cover!

I'm ok with both scenarios!:flamed:

2 hours ago, blackbears86 said:

Does anyone here think issues #180, #182 have room to move with collectors being priced out of #181?  (especially issue #180?) 

I think 180 but people will be more discriminating with 180s. The ones with white pages & better eye appeal may see a steady increase. Of course if there's any big meaningful news about Disney & x-men rights then that'll be a catalyst for all 3 

Man, and I sold mine. I bought a 6.0, best pressing candidate I ever owned, and it bumped to a 7.5 Heck yeah, I sold that little jimmy, and now what do I have? Nothin'. That's what. I just expected to buy another. I didn't expect a jump like this, nor for FF 48. I'm frustrated. :/

I have multiples of all three, 180,181,182. I believe they should follow through with a slight rise in price, nothing dramatic but any gain is a bonus. 181 has one of the greatest front covers of any book, period! Would like to see where all these are at in 20 years from now. 

If you’re a Wolverine fan, then you must have all three.

Am I seeing things or did Comic Connect fetch $8100 for a 9.2 in their auction just now ending?  At this point I know I should NOT be surprised by what this book does anymore, but wow.

3 minutes ago, blackbears86 said:

I remember buying my 181 cgc 9.0 for $900 about 5 years ago and thinking I way overpaid.

What's weird is that there was a 9.0 that looks to have sold for $3,000 and when you click on the listing it say's $2,000 on June 15th 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=incredible+hulk+181+cgc+&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

It says best offer was accepted, either way a very confusing listing....

13 hours ago, grube09 said:

Am I seeing things or did Comic Connect fetch $8100 for a 9.2 in their auction just now ending?  At this point I know I should NOT be surprised by what this book does anymore, but wow.

Hulk 181 is like NFLX stock. It just keeps reaching new breath taking higher highs. I honestly don't think there has been a down trend price tick on this slab since 2008/2009ish. Its pretty much been straight up since. I have a buddy who has been waiting for a significant pullback since 2014 and he is still watching. 

I remember waiting and waiting and being left behind, so I had to bite the bullet and go for it and paid current prices with no regret.the feeling of accomplishment far out weighs the extra costs and burdens of scrambling the cash together to make it happen. Let me tell you, it was a struggle and endless hours of saving and work but I’m finally here. 

Dont sit on the sidelines, get up and do it. Just do it - Nike.

the sudden jump 181 has made in the last 2-3 months is reminiscent of the jump AF15 made last spring-summer. that book dropped some after dramatically peaking. AF15 is obviously still a key book and is slowly creeping back up. but what will happen here? will 181 peak soon and have a bit of a pullback, or will these record prices sustain through the rest of the summer and into fall? i call this a "sudden" jump because i've been watching for 5 years, and it's always creeped up at a nice, fairly consistent pace in that time. this one has been extremely sudden as opposed to steady. 

I’m still surprised 180’s pace hasn’t started increasing faster than 181 (not surpassing value, but surpassing percentage increase). It IS the first appearance, and as people get priced out of 181, I would think 180 starts looking like a bargain... I know it’s starting to look like a better value to me anyways...I can’t be the only one.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I’m still surprised 180’s pace hasn’t started increasing faster than 181 (not surpassing value, but surpassing percentage increase). It IS the first appearance, and as people get priced out of 181, I would think 180 starts looking like a bargain... I know it’s starting to look like a better value to me anyways...I can’t be the only one.

For most grades up to 9.4 it's been increasing quite rapidly according to GPA. 9.8 not so much but that may be due to the low census for 9.8s so there's less opportunities. I think 9.8s should be selling for at the very least 6k at this point.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Callaway29 said:

I picked up a 180 in 9.2 for about $600 when ebay  had one of those 20% off one item specials late last year.  This issue has been climbing, albeit at a much slower pace than 181.

I just checked ebay-----copies of this seem to be drying up. (at least right now)

On 6/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, Callaway29 said:

I’ve always felt that 180 was a book that people who already have 181 would want.  While it technically is the first appearance, 180 just doesn’t have the cover and notoriety 181 does.  I’d be curious to know how many 180 owners do not have a 181.  

On ‎2018‎/‎06‎/‎15 at 3:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya, if you look up incredible hulk 181, and even in "all categories" search, there are only 45 listings..... now that's O.o 

either people are being priced out, holding their copies, are buying multiples and may be done, or all of the above lol idk

all of the above.

Personally, it’s not entirely about the $$. I’m a very literal, black and white, kinda guy. First appearance is first appearance...if a baby is born on July 1 at 11:59pm, July 1st is its b-day, not July 2nd. However, I acknowledge the popular opinion of the market and that this has been beat to a pulp over the decades.  :preach: