• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

So it’s no secret that I’ve been trying to upgrade my low grade signed copy to a mid-grade blue book. I need some advice, since my copy is already signed should I add Stan Lee to it and send it in for a press? I’m hoping the press would help but not really sure. 

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

So it’s no secret that I’ve been trying to upgrade my low grade signed copy to a mid-grade blue book. I need some advice, since my copy is already signed should I add Stan Lee to it and send it in for a press? I’m hoping the press would help but not really sure. 

Regarding the pressing, it’s impossible to assess if it would help without seeing the book.

As for adding Stan, I would emphatically say no to that for the following reasons — his signature is everywhere, it is very hit or miss these days due to age, lord knows where he will sign (and you can’t crack the book on your own to prep it), and he really had no role in the production of the issue (I’m a bit of signature purist).

49 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Regarding the pressing, it’s impossible to assess if it would help without seeing the book.

As for adding Stan, I would emphatically say no to that for the following reasons — his signature is everywhere, it is very hit or miss these days due to age, lord knows where he will sign (and you can’t crack the book on your own to prep it), and he really had no role in the production of the issue (I’m a bit of signature purist).

Makes sense, just figured since he co-created the hulk it would be a good addition. After taking a closer look, don’t think a press would help. Most spine ticks break the color and not many folds.

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I agree that Wolverine is a top 3 Marvel character and that it is a huge book. However the spike in price is too much and too quick not to be speculation based. Plus it corresponds with the run up in FF keys and X-Men 1 which happens to be timed to the Fox/Disney news. 

What was the price of a 9.2 copy before the Fox/Disney announcement?  

Look what has happened to FF48 and FF5 and XM1 since the announcement - seems similar .....

funny that you should ask. as i posted a little earlier here, i was quoted $4800 in march for a 9.2 copy with white pages. it sold shortly thereafter for $5300 on ebay and since then has continued to 6k and now $6400 as the highest according to GPA. this is indeed a sudden upturn of dramatic proportions. grades such as 9.0, 8.5 all the way through fine and lower also have experienced similar surges. it will be interesting to see what happens to these various books in 6 months or a year. hulk 181 has always been highly in demand across most grades, so i am inclined to think that it may hold it's new values better than some of the other books that have encountered the recent speculation. but anything seems possible. watching last summer's AF15 rollercoaster was an eye-opener as far as comics values in the short term. i think in the long term all these books will continue to be solid investments. 

Speaking in terms of first appearances for the wolverine, is there a reason why foom 2 is not acknowledged as appearance? Doesn’t this have a prototype for the character? Maybe because it’s not a finalized version. I haven’t opened my copy in a while but seems familiar.

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

funny that you should ask. as i posted a little earlier here, i was quoted $4800 in march for a 9.2 copy with white pages. it sold shortly thereafter for $5300 on ebay and since then has continued to 6k and now $6400 as the highest according to GPA. this is indeed a sudden upturn of dramatic proportions. grades such as 9.0, 8.5 all the way through fine and lower also have experienced similar surges. it will be interesting to see what happens to these various books in 6 months or a year. hulk 181 has always been highly in demand across most grades, so i am inclined to think that it may hold it's new values better than some of the other books that have encountered the recent speculation. but anything seems possible. watching last summer's AF15 rollercoaster was an eye-opener as far as comics values in the short term. i think in the long term all these books will continue to be solid investments. 

So we are talking a 33% increase in 3 months - An increase like that in 3 months is not the result of a sudden surge in demand (it is not like people all of a sudden realized Wolverine is awesome or that there is a shortage of this book). It is speculation + demand.

I agree that Wolverine is popular enough that it will retain some of this growth - but I do expect a correction. But I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Speaking in terms of first appearances for the wolverine, is there a reason why foom 2 is not acknowledged as appearance? Doesn’t this have a prototype for the character? Maybe because it’s not a finalized version. I haven’t opened my copy in a while but seems familiar.

The “Wolverine” that appears in FOOM 2 is a reader submission for some contest they were running.  I’m guessing Marvel doesn’t want to acknowledge it as an appearance because their Wolverine bears some obvious similarities (maybe they took some inspiration from it?).

On 7/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, Kevin76 said:

Well Disney buying Fox has something to do with in in case you have been living under a rock, Wolverine's return to comics as well as new collectors entering the market. Everyone who doesn't have wolverine's first appearance, wants it.  

22 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I agree that Wolverine is a top 3 Marvel character and that it is a huge book. However the spike in price is too much and too quick not to be speculation based. Plus it corresponds with the run up in FF keys and X-Men 1 which happens to be timed to the Fox/Disney news. 

What was the price of a 9.2 copy before the Fox/Disney announcement?  

Look what has happened to FF48 and FF5 and XM1 since the announcement - seems similar .....

I'm confused. Have people somehow forgetten that Wolverine has appeared in almost 10 successful movies, regularly? Along with regular floppies (oh, but he "died"...right). I don't see how a Fox deal has anything to do with "speculation".

FF #1 on the other hand has a lot of upside because the movies were not good and they cancelled the floppies. That's where speculation comes in. It may have been at the basement price a couple years ago, barring a collapse.

I think Wolverine has more to do with people wanting a copy and it getting marked up 10% every time it changes hands. What an I missing?

A year from now we can look back at this discussion and see if prices were artificially inflated due to hype and speculation or if this is the new ongoing trend. 

I do agree that this book is a great investment short or long term due to Wolverine being a top tier superhero. 

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

10611 copies and counting! Wasn’t the 10k mark hit within the past year? :whistle:

I wonder how many books might be counted multiple times within the census though due to pressings & yellow labels?  All it takes is for a book to be re-subbed without its original label, or for CGC to receive the label but not remove it from the census?

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

A year from now we can look back at this discussion and see if prices were artificially inflated due to hype and speculation or if this is the new ongoing trend. 

I do agree that this book is a great investment short or long term due to Wolverine being a top tier superhero. 

i'm now pretty sure that a correction will be coming. a 7.0 sold on feebay yesterday for sellers asking price of $3500. no 7.0 had been over 3k so far and just earlier that day another 7.0 went for $2900. a few months ago it was 2k.  this record breaking copy didn't even have white pages. perhaps it's a scam sale to artificially inflate prices even more. i guess we'll see. i've only been in this field for 5 years but i just don't see this feeding frenzy sustaining itself. i don't care how popular logan is, and i love him too. ( of course, now a seller on these boards has put his 7.0 up for sale here, asking the same price.)

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I'm confused. Have people somehow forgetten that Wolverine has appeared in almost 10 successful movies, regularly? Along with regular floppies (oh, but he "died"...right). I don't see how a Fox deal has anything to do with "speculation".

FF #1 on the other hand has a lot of upside because the movies were not good and they cancelled the floppies. That's where speculation comes in. It may have been at the basement price a couple years ago, barring a collapse.

I think Wolverine has more to do with people wanting a copy and it getting marked up 10% every time it changes hands. What an I missing?

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm now pretty sure that a correction will be coming. a 7.0 sold on feebay yesterday for sellers asking price of $3500. no 7.0 had been over 3k so far and just earlier that day another 7.0 went for $2900. a few months ago it was 2k.  this record breaking copy didn't even have white pages. perhaps it's a scam sale to artificially inflate prices even more. i guess we'll see. i've only been in this field for 5 years but i just don't see this feeding frenzy sustaining itself. i don't care how popular logan is, and i love him too. ( of course, now a seller on these boards has put his 7.0 up for sale here, asking the same price.)

Yes Wolverine has appeared in several films but not under the juggernaut that is Disney. Plus the same logic applies to XMen 1 which has also seen a HUGE up tick in value that corresponds to the FOX merger. 

Furthermore, a 7.0 had a 90 day of $2,100, then a copy sold for $2600 then $2900 then $3500. Not to mention that 4 months ago a 7.0 was selling for $1,700.  So ya an increase of over 100% in price in 4 months and 70% in 90 days is totally just due to demand ? (that was sarcasm to be 100% clear). 

There is NO reason for demand to all of a sudden spike except for speculation and the price increases are insane - so they smell an awfully lot like manipulation. But feel free to buy and sell at these prices ....

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Yes Wolverine has appeared in several films but not under the juggernaut that is Disney. Plus the same logic applies to XMen 1 which has also seen a HUGE up tick in value that corresponds to the FOX merger. 

Furthermore, a 7.0 had a 90 day of $2,100, then a copy sold for $2600 then $2900 then $3500. Not to mention that 4 months ago a 7.0 was selling for $1,700.  So ya an increase of over 100% in price in 4 months and 70% in 90 days is totally just due to demand ? (that was sarcasm to be 100% clear). 

There is NO reason for demand to all of a sudden spike except for speculation and the price increases are insane - so they smell an awfully lot like manipulation. But feel free to buy and sell at these prices ....

What's is the actual speculation though? That's what I mean. Will Wolverine appear in another movie? Yes, I guarantee it. That's not speculation.

42 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What's is the actual speculation though? That's what I mean. Will Wolverine appear in another movie? Yes, I guarantee it. That's not speculation.

from what i understand, the next film version of wolverine will be played by caitlin jenner, so that should be exciting. 

on a more serious note, lets see if that $3500 7.0 copy shows up again within a week on feebay. i'm thinking fake sale. 

56 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What's is the actual speculation though?

That a different studio having the movie rights will make Wolverine more popular. That idea at least kind of makes sense for characters who haven't already had their popularity increased by appearing starring in multiple successful movies, but it obviously doesn't apply to Wolverine.

The current prices are insane.

To illustrate how quickly this book has risen, I remember this time last year how people were remarking that HOS 92 was going for about the same price as 181.  That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, as just last night a cgc HOS 92 ended at around $950 on ebay, and cgc 6.0 92 for slightly over $1000 about a week ago.  It seems like forever ago that 181's were going for those prices.  

12 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

from what i understand, the next film version of wolverine will be played by caitlin jenner, so that should be exciting. 

on a more serious note, lets see if that $3500 7.0 copy shows up again within a week on feebay. i'm thinking fake sale. 

That was my comic. I had it had $3500 and it sold buy it now, no questions asked. That guy has bought other comics from me for full asking. There was another for $3400, so his purchase was something I was not expecting.

I took that money and bought a 8.0 White Pages an hour later for a small increase. Proof below l. Get it while it’s hot boys, comic continues to amaze.

5A77434E-A658-4546-8045-F0677C715EB7.jpeg