• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, YouFoundDonon said:

That was my comic. I had it had $3500 and it sold buy it now, no questions asked. That guy has bought other comics from me for full asking. There was another for $3400, so his purchase was something I was not expecting.

I took that money and bought a 8.0 White Pages an hour later for a small increase. Proof below l. Get it while it’s hot boys, comic continues to amaze.

5A77434E-A658-4546-8045-F0677C715EB7.jpeg

congratulations, that's good to know it was a real sale. i wonder if this guy will give me 10k for my 9.0WP?

I bought my 9.2 keeper copy on 10/28/17 for $4,350.  I went $300 over the 90-day GPA average at the time bc it had WP with great centering and eye appeal.  A little over 8 months later and a 9.2 goes for $6,800 yesterday.  This surge is just W:whatthe:W...

21 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

congratulations, that's good to know it was a real sale. i wonder if this guy will give me 10k for my 9.0WP?

Put it on eBay, you never know! I just put it there to easily reference to people while I was looking to trade up. Never expected to sell especially since I was not the cheapest. 

14 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Welp im officially out of the running for hulk 181....hopefully prices come back down to reality in the future or ill have to just settle on a green label and call it a day.  

Prices on the book will never go anywhere but up. That's your "reality".

6 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

Maybe so, but the jump from $1200 for cgc 5.0 to about $2500 just doesnt seem real to me, especially in a 4 month period.  I can see if it was over a few years and i do understand wolverine is a top tier hero, so i understand the interest in him, but to me that increase is comparable to what happen to bitcoin and see how that turned out.  Either way, ill have to settle for a green label that presents well than over spend on a book.  Im a huge wolverine fan, and i snoozed, i know, but i just cant see spending that much on a high printed book.  Id be better off saving for an amazing fantasy 15 then.  

54 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Maybe so, but the jump from $1200 for cgc 5.0 to about $2500 just doesnt seem real to me, especially in a 4 month period.  I can see if it was over a few years and i do understand wolverine is a top tier hero, so i understand the interest in him, but to me that increase is comparable to what happen to bitcoin and see how that turned out.  Either way, ill have to settle for a green label that presents well than over spend on a book.  Im a huge wolverine fan, and i snoozed, i know, but i just cant see spending that much on a high printed book.  Id be better off saving for an amazing fantasy 15 then.  

Look outside of eBay at some of the major sellers for how many 181s they have available.  Last time I looked, Pedigree, the Reece’s, and ComicLink’s exchange all had none, and I believe Metropolis only had one copy.  Demand is largely driving the spike, and it isn’t a recent phenomenon.  Back in 2016 I saw my 9.6 nearly double in fmv in the span of six months.

The question becomes do you expect to see a flood of copies onto the market in the future which will drive prices down to a level you consider reasonable, or is it better to strike now?  Only you can answer that.  Also, green label prices won’t be all that much cheaper for a copy that presents well.  

I was at a show last week, one dealer had a Hulk 181 9.0 White, sticker price was $6000.  He was expensive on everything, even raw books were overpriced and he wasn't budging on anything.  

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That a different studio having the movie rights will make Wolverine more popular. That idea at least kind of makes sense for characters who haven't already had their popularity increased by appearing starring in multiple successful movies, but it obviously doesn't apply to Wolverine.

The current prices are insane.

Yes, like my post yesterday where I mentioned sepculation on new / renewed interest on Fantastic Four.

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Look outside of eBay at some of the major sellers for how many 181s they have available.  Last time I looked, Pedigree, the Reece’s, and ComicLink’s exchange all had none, and I believe Metropolis only had one copy.  Demand is largely driving the spike, and it isn’t a recent phenomenon.  Back in 2016 I saw my 9.6 nearly double in fmv in the span of six months.

The question becomes do you expect to see a flood of copies onto the market in the future which will drive prices down to a level you consider reasonable, or is it better to strike now?  Only you can answer that.  Also, green label prices won’t be all that much cheaper for a copy that presents well.  

Metro has 3. All very high grade including a 9.8 raw for $30k.:whatthe:

Edited by ygogolak

2 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

i predict by winter prices have come down some. not that it will ever be cheap by any means. but come down a bit, and stay there for awhile too. but then again, no one cares what i think, especially my wife. 

1 minute ago, Chillax23 said:

I think a ton of sellers are holding onto copies right now because of the rampant price increases.  There is a lot of stock of this book - in fact, just look through this thread and you will see several boardies with multiple copies (sometimes as high as 6-8 copies all graded).  Supply has not dwindled, sellers just don't want to sell for current prices for fear of missing out on the next $500 jump.

I do not believe that Demand is the main driver here - but truthfully none of us really know the answer to why this book is increasing like it is.

this. i have two copies and was hunting for my third when prices went nuts. i agree, plenty of people have this book and just want to hold it for whatever reason. but if 9.0 copies get to 10k i will sell one. whats interesting though, is last summer, when AF15 went ballistic, everyone was putting their copy on the market. a real flood. comiclink had 4-5 copies in an auction several times. with H181 now, it's not happening, even though there are tons more copies out there than AF15s. so, that's noteworthy. i imagine it's because people had waited awhile to finally see AF15 make a big move, whereas with H181 it's never not been going upwards. 

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Metro has 3. All very high grade including a 9.8 raw for $30k.:whatthe:

It's actually a Stan Lee SS 9.8 according to the book's details.  But still...$30k... :whatthe: indeed

If memory serves, a blue label ow/w 9.8 went for under $17k recently (ComicLink auction I think).

46 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

It's actually a Stan Lee SS 9.8 according to the book's details.  But still...$30k... :whatthe: indeed

If memory serves, a blue label ow/w 9.8 went for under $17k recently (ComicLink auction I think).

Wow, you're right. They have a stock image up! Stock image for a $30k book hm

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I think a ton of sellers are holding onto copies right now because of the rampant price increases.  There is a lot of stock of this book - in fact, just look through this thread and you will see several boardies with multiple copies (sometimes as high as 6-8 copies all graded).  Supply has not dwindled, sellers just don't want to sell for current prices for fear of missing out on the next $500 jump.

I do not believe that Demand is the main driver here - but truthfully none of us really know the answer to why this book is increasing like it is.

If any boardies have a copy, let me know. :)

Edited by rogue14
Edit

On 7/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, DST said:

I bought my 9.2 keeper copy on 10/28/17 for $4,350.  I went $300 over the 90-day GPA average at the time bc it had WP with great centering and eye appeal.  A little over 8 months later and a 9.2 goes for $6,800 yesterday.  This surge is just W:whatthe:W...

Yes ! I saw that sale, buddy of mine tried to bid on it and LOST!  He can't believe he went so much higher and still lost!

I have a 9.0, and just recently upgraded to a 9.2 ---- Anyone know what is FMV on my 9.0 OW-W. lol   I seriously don't know how to price it.  Last sale? $5500?  Future speculation built in at $6k ????