• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, YouFoundDonon said:

How many of you would buy a comic today at $1000, knowing it’s goong to be worth $100 in a year? I’d bet not many. The biggest drive to comics as a hobby is the appreciate of key comics. The comic industry isn’t what it was 10-15 years ago. Movie speculations, tv speculations... buy outs. Most super hero keys you buy now will steadily appreciate year over year. The ROI in comics is becoming unheard of. It’s hard to be a collector when you buy a comic for $2200 and a month later sell it, not expecting to,  for $3500. 

My friends all loved Marvel/DC movies, they grew up with comic books. They see the investment of comics and want to get in, but it’s a hard sell to a wife that you want to drop thousands of dollars on nostalgia. Single dude making good money will see troubles getting even with the most basic of keys in the silver age above a a 7.0 nowadays.

We’re all in this for the investment first, nostalgia/collector second. (Unless money isn’t a concern for you)

What kind of person sees a movie and decides they want to spend 2k on a Hulk 181? lol their wife is doing them a favor by shutting it down, that is ridiculous

Edited by rsouxlja7

5 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

When you think about it, it makes sense. A comic which appears brand new takes you back to the time the comic came out. A yellowed, creased up comic does not.

When I got into comics as a kid in the '90s, "old" books were from the '70s and had that old paper smell. The same amount of time that had passed from the 1970s to 1990s has now passed today, and then some. Finding a drek '90s book makes me feel weird (not nostalgic), it also weird to see comics published in my lifetime on the LCS walls for more than $5...

6 hours ago, YouFoundDonon said:

You guys can hide it but unless you bought the comic when it was 10 or 15 cents or dirt cheap years ago, you're in it as an investment now. Unless you're a millionaire. 

That's only partly true. You're overemphasizing the investment part. It's not like investing in a stock purely for monetary gain. People have emotional attachments to certain characters and or titles. For example I'll never be interested in Spawn, TEC books, TMNT, etc regardless of their potential. Spidey will get me every time but that doesn't mean I'll drastically overpay for any ASM. 

I think to most hobbyist it's a balance of both nostalgia & investment. 

I'd think the majority of those in the IH 181 market right now are there in hopes of striking before being priced out as opposed to just flipping their investment. 

28 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

That's only partly true. You're overemphasizing the investment part. It's not like investing in a stock purely for monetary gain. People have emotional attachments to certain characters and or titles. For example I'll never be interested in Spawn, TEC books, TMNT, etc regardless of their potential. Spidey will get me every time but that doesn't mean I'll drastically overpay for any ASM. 

I think to most hobbyist it's a balance of both nostalgia & investment. 

I'd think the majority of those in the IH 181 market right now are there in hopes of striking before being priced out as opposed to just flipping their investment. 

Sounds eerily similar to all of the bitcoin craziness a year ago.  For the record, I'd buy a Hulk 181 before I ever touched bitcoin, but not at the current going rate. 

back to the subject of this listing, there are now multiple 7.0 through 8.0 copies sitting around on feebay with BIN prices based on the one or two crazy sales, with no action. a 7.5 sold for $3,300 on feebay earlier today or yesterday despite feebay claiming it sold for $3750. an 8.5 selling for 5k there is also a new record for the grade. 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

How about an SS 2.5 selling for $2000, that's got to be a record as well.

There’s also a SS 1.8 incomplete selling for $2999 on the bay too. Wow!

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

back to the subject of this listing, there are now multiple 7.0 through 8.0 copies sitting around on feebay with BIN prices based on the one or two crazy sales, with no action. a 7.5 sold for $3,300 on feebay earlier today or yesterday despite feebay claiming it sold for $3750. an 8.5 selling for 5k there is also a new record for the grade. 

Why would they claim it sold for 3750? Was it a best offer? BTW I like to call them fleecebay :nyah:

43 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Why would they claim it sold for 3750? Was it a best offer? BTW I like to call them fleecebay :nyah:

yes when something sells for fixed price OBO they say that it sold for full price. but if you use this link, and swap in the item number, you can see the actual price that the item sold for:

https://offer.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p2047675.l2564&rt=nc&item=173401406321

in this case you can see that the seller accepted an offer of $3,300, although he passed up better offers prior to that, which is strange. 

31 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

yes when something sells for fixed price OBO they say that it sold for full price. but if you use this link, and swap in the item number, you can see the actual price that the item sold for:

https://offer.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p2047675.l2564&rt=nc&item=173401406321

in this case you can see that the seller accepted an offer of $3,300, although he passed up better offers prior to that, which is strange. 

Wait...how do you access offers for someone else’s listing? I need to know this...

2 minutes ago, october said:

He accepted at $3300 offer, but declined $3600 and two $3400 offers?

Errr.....ok?

i agree that's most strange. i could see passing on an offer 4 days earlier and then changing your mind later and needing to sell. but he passed on $3400 just one day before accepting $3300. i just cant see how shill bidding helps him on this though. really odd.

32 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

You mean if the item is still unsold, will it show offers so far? I believe so.

I just tried.. it doesn't on unsold items.. it tells you the offers are out there but no numbers until closed.

Funny thing I checked some best offers I bought (they all worked) and one of mine accepted my lower offer after turning down higher ones too. 

23 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe the higher offers you see are from the seller's counter offer that were declined by the buyers.

I've seen this before with other auctions where higher offers were declined and a lesser offer was taken. 

That would make sense, but two of the higher amounts seem to be standalone, ie there is no lower bid associated with the same ID. And one of them is the earliest bid.

The $3400 bid right before the accepted one definitely seems to be a counteroffer.

Edited by Paul_Maul

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe the higher offers you see are from the seller's counter offer that were declined by the buyers.

I've seen this before with other auctions where higher offers were declined and a lesser offer was taken. 

That makes more sense. (thumbsu