• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Here's a thought -- if you were the lucky owner of the one and only 9.9 copy, would you bring it to market now to try and cash in??  hm

To me there’s no difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9, so I would sell it, buy the nicest 9.8 I could find, and use the rest for a spending spree.

4 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Here's a thought -- if you were the lucky owner of the one and only 9.9 copy, would you bring it to market now to try and cash in??  hm

The 9.9 copy has had several old threads about it's actual condition.  Some of the boardies have seen the book in hand and said it was unworthy of the 9.9 designation and may not even get a 9.8 if resubmitted.  I can see that copy being in the old holder for a long, long time.

39 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

The 9.9 copy has had several old threads about it's actual condition.  Some of the boardies have seen the book in hand and said it was unworthy of the 9.9 designation and may not even get a 9.8 if resubmitted.  I can see that copy being in the old holder for a long, long time.

Couldn't they quite easily get it in a new holder with the same grade?

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Couldn't they quite easily get it in a new holder with the same grade?

Yes but Im not sure how insurable it would be due to it's astronomical value assuming they'd ship it to CGC in Sarasota Florida. I don't think they'd go thru that much insurance cost & trouble just for a new holder.  

29 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes but Im not sure how insurable it would be due to it's astronomical value assuming they'd ship it to CGC in Sarasota Florida. I don't think they'd go thru that much insurance cost & trouble just for a new holder.  

It would be cheaper and frankly less stressful just to take a short vacation there to drop it off in-person.

15 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

It would be cheaper and frankly less stressful just to take a short vacation there to drop it off in-person.

Sure of course! If there was a giant crack or some other severe issue with the holder. Otherwise most would probably avoid the short vacation

On 7/11/2018 at 5:26 PM, dinesh_s said:

Call me crazy but I think it's over priced. It doesn't hold any major significance with todays collecting mentality. I wouldn't be surprised to see a redistribution of value from X-Men 94 to Giant Size X-Men 1

I call x men 94 the Red headed step child  to  GSX1.  the cover is not as interesting as GSX 1

1 hour ago, wolviefrk said:

Every time i was offered a copy below gpa i took them. I guess i should be selling now ?

IH 181 hoard 15 crop.jpg

Wow!!! I’m at a loss of words. If I could only get a single mid-grade copy. ?

If prices tank, I hope to be in your shoes with multiples copies at my disposable.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

7 hours ago, wolviefrk said:

Every time i was offered a copy below gpa i took them. I guess i should be selling now ?

IH 181 hoard 15 crop.jpg

Yes, you should at least sell me one of the 9.2's.  Tree fiddy?  :baiting:  I'm kidding of course, that ship has sailed. 

10 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That seller has 0 feedback too! Did you check for shilling?

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
16 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

weird, as the bids were all marked "private" and this listing does not come up when you list sold as end recently.... and given there is a 5.5 with a best offer for under the $2,750....

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

weird, as the bids were all marked "private" and this listing does not come up when you list sold as end recently.... and given there is a 5.5 with a best offer for under the $2,750....

My apologies to keep quoting, but needed the link for reference, it does now show up as "ended recently" on ebay...

Odd as there are 5.5's with a lower price...

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My apologies to keep quoting, but needed the link for reference, it does now show up as "ended recently" on ebay...

Odd as there are 5.5's with a lower price...

I was watching the auction for about a week .. .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/132703849065?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

5 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Has there been a corresponding run up in GSXM1 midgrade copies like 6.0-8.0 or is this run up limited to Hulk 181?

no other book on the planet has had a runup comparable to hulk181 in the last 4 months. many grades are now worth 60-100% more than in early spring. it's truly remarkable. FF1 has also had a dramatic upturn but i dont know if it's quite comparable, especially given how uncommon that book is compared to this one. 

49 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

no other book on the planet has had a runup comparable to hulk181 in the last 4 months. many grades are now worth 60-100% more than in early spring. it's truly remarkable. FF1 has also had a dramatic upturn but i dont know if it's quite comparable, especially given how uncommon that book is compared to this one. 

Almost every comic collector wants one, and it's becoming "i'll take any copy" restored, missing stamp, raw, slabbed, qualified...people don't care. it's the "I have to have it" mentality that's driving prices.