• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

no other book on the planet has had a runup comparable to hulk181 in the last 4 months. many grades are now worth 60-100% more than in early spring. it's truly remarkable. FF1 has also had a dramatic upturn but i dont know if it's quite comparable, especially given how uncommon that book is compared to this one. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Almost every comic collector wants one, and it's becoming "i'll take any copy" restored, missing stamp, raw, slabbed, qualified...people don't care. it's the "I have to have it" mentality that's driving prices.   

I think FF48s rise is quite similar tbh - 7.0 before Fox announcement was an $800 book, now it is a $1,700 book. 

While there is some demand driving the  prices - I think there is plenty of speculation and stockpiling. 

FF 48 was one of those books that had not moved in forever, so it was due for a big jump up. While some of it is due to speculation, I also view it as a book that should have been higher due to demand outstripping the abundant availability similar to Hulk #181. Silver Surfer and Galactus > Black Panther or Eternals IMHO. 

18 minutes ago, kimik said:

FF 48 was one of those books that had not moved in forever, so it was due for a big jump up. While some of it is due to speculation, I also view it as a book that should have been higher due to demand outstripping the abundant availability similar to Hulk #181. Silver Surfer and Galactus > Black Panther or Eternals IMHO. 

Oh I agree - not saying FF48 is completely speculation, there is certainly demand driving it but there is also speculation. 

It is the same with IH181 - there is certainly demand but also plenty of speculation (of course all IMO). 

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Oh I agree - not saying FF48 is completely speculation, there is certainly demand driving it but there is also speculation. 

It is the same with IH181 - there is certainly demand but also plenty of speculation (of course all IMO). 

But FF48 is dragging 49, and 50, and SS #1 with it.  

181 is a freak, always has been, always will be.   There's no point in comparing it to any other book out there.

3 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

If (and it's a big if) Disney ever decides to do a movie based on the secret wars series this book will see an upswing similar to FF52. There will be plenty more demand IMHO. 

Same with 181. Also a big if but if there's ever a Wolverine v Hulk v Wendigo on the big screen I can only imagine what'll happen to the market at that point!? Personally I'd prefer the original version but I think they'd probly go with the McFarlane version. Possibilities for IH 180-182 & 340 are limitless!!!

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

For those of you who don't know why X-Men 94 sells for what it does, and will likely experience it's own little boost soon:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/22/uncanny-x-men-marvel-2018-sdcc/

-J.

Hmmn... We're off topic here you really think that'll be a catalyst for an upswing? Not sure a title revival would be enough

Hulk 181 prices are starting to look weirdly similar to TMNT #1 prices now.... you seem to be getting a lot of people reaching and going all out for 7.0 to 9.2s with the 9.4s 9.6s and 9.8s looking like the relative bargains.  TMNT 1 youll see people pay 8k for a 9.0 then 9.6s are in the 12-15k range.  I wonder if for both these books you get a few non wealthy people just spending every penny they have pushing these mid grade copies higher.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

Hulk 181 prices are starting to look weirdly similar to TMNT #1 prices now.... you seem to be getting a lot of people reaching and going all out for 7.0 to 9.2s with the 9.4s 9.6s and 9.8s looking like the relative bargains.  TMNT 1 youll see people pay 8k for a 9.0 then 9.6s are in the 12-15k range.  I wonder if for both these books you get a few non wealthy people just spending every penny they have pushing these mid grade copies higher.

Credit cards are a beautiful thing

On 7/23/2018 at 1:39 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Hmmn... We're off topic here you really think that'll be a catalyst for an upswing? Not sure a title revival would be enough

They would only bring back the comic series if they planned on injecting the X-Men back into what the studio does.  You've got to believe the characters will be reintroduced into the MCU shortly after the merger is done.  At that point Logan comes back from the dead in a movie and IH 181/X-Men 94/Giant Size X-Men go back into hyperdrive pricing.

What blows my mind is that there is a CGC 4.0 on Comic Link with a current bid of $1700+.  Holy smokes.

Edited by Lucky Baru

37 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Don't forget PayPal also has the 6 months no interest plan too!

I actually recently had an interest free offer from PayPal credit for 24 months but I had to spend 600 dollars minimum. Didn't bite. 

They also offer relatively low interest plans for 12 & 24 months ( 100$ minimum) but i dont think those options are always available on eBay purchases.

Sorry to get off topic

Edited by MGsimba77

29 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

They would only bring back the comic series if they planned on injecting the X-Men back into what the studio does.  You've got to believe the characters will be reintroduced into the MCU shortly after the merger is done.  At that point Logan comes back from the dead in a movie and IH 181/X-Men 94/Giant Size X-Men go back into hyperdrive pricing.

What blows my mind is that there is a CGC 4.0 on Comic Link with a current bid of $1700+.  Holy smokes.

+1

Yup. Pretty much my point.  (thumbsu X men 94 has the benefit of a lot of built in, legacy fan goodwill and it's starting to look like a bargain next to Hulk 181 and GSXM 1.  Let's face it, the first appearances in those books wouldn't mean much if it wasn't for what was started in X men 94.  

-J.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, mattn792 said:

The latest ComicLink auction kicked off on the 11th, and the 9.2 with CR-OW pages is already up to $5900.  My 9.2 ow/w sold for $100 less a little over one week ago.  It'll be interesting to see where the CLink book ends up with 12 days to go until auction close.

Final verdict - $6300