• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, and it looks like both of the CGC 9.6 graded copies sold for over $10K in their Signature Auction the previous week.  (thumbsu

Looks like the lower profile one with White pages sold for $600 more than the higher profile that the OW/W copy that sold on Thursday.  hm

Where's jaydog when we need him to figure out this anomaly for us. lol

Both of those 9.6 results were just meh...They were below market.

Why the hell don't these people (be it Heritage or the seller) auction these important books on a Sunday night as opposed to a freaking Thursday afternoon? What the hell was that :facepalm:?!?!

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, and it looks like both of the CGC 9.6 graded copies sold for over $10K in their Signature Auction the previous week.  (thumbsu

Looks like the lower profile one with White pages sold for $600 more than the higher profile that the OW/W copy that sold on Thursday.  hm

Both of those 9.6 results were just meh...They were below market.

Why the hell don't these people (be it Heritage or the seller) auction these important books on a Sunday night as opposed to a freaking Thursday afternoon? What the hell was that :facepalm:?!?!

Well, I imagine that's because it's not a standalone auction for just one book only, since it's part of a much bigger auction that normally sells anywhere from $6M to $12M worth of items.  :gossip:

All I can say is that if a non-high grade copy of Teen-Age Romance can fetch over $10K (or over 24X condition guide) in the same auction:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/teen-age-romances-9-st-john-1950-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7189-91081.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

then I don't see the Thursday afternoon as opposed to Sunday night timing being really that valid of an argument in the final price. hm

I guess that gorgeous hunk of a guy on the cover of the Teen-Age Romance book must be more enticing than the figure of the Hulk on IH 181.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, jason4 said:

Did anyone else notice the coverless copy that sold for 648.00? Must be a record 

Speaking ofcoverless copies, do most just keep these in the original form or attach a facsimile cover? I’ve often wondered about these. They are incomplete but if it’s the only copy you can afford, why not.

9 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Speaking ofcoverless copies, do most just keep these in the original form or attach a facsimile cover? I’ve often wondered about these. They are incomplete but if it’s the only copy you can afford, why not.

I would display without a  cover. Lots of these splash pages are great. I like tales of suspense 39 coverless image better than the cover image. 

Edited by jason4

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Do you seriously believe that a meager $600 difference in price needs to be explained when one copy ended on a Thursday afternoon during most people's work hours and the other ended on a Saturday? And in either case you do realize that the prices were within about 5% of each other, which would be within typical and expected price variances and fluctuations even on a day to day basis for a book with this kind of trading volume? 

Or maybe you can explain the anomaly of this 9.6 copy with "white pages" on the label selling for the same amount over two months ago as the one with "ow/w" on heritage last month?  hm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-6-WHITE-1st-Wolverine-Nov-1974-Marvel/263718226054?epid=85340044&hash=item3d66d4c886%3Ag%3AmZMAAOSwkKBbCx4H&_udlo=10000&_sop=12&_sadis=15&_udhi=1%2C000%2C000&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_samihi=&_stpos=91604&_samilow=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_in_kw=1&_dmd=1&_nkw=Incredible+hulk+181&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&_ipg=200&redirect=mobile

You're really just putting me on though, right lou?  Lol :baiting:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Do you seriously believe that a meager $600 difference in price needs to be explained when one copy ended on a Thursday afternoon during most people's work hours and the other ended on a Saturday? And in either case you do realize that the prices were within about 5% of each other, which would be within typical and expected price variances and fluctuations even on a day to day basis for a book with this kind of trading volume? 

Or maybe you can explain the anomaly of this 9.6 copy with "white pages" on the label selling for the same amount over two months ago as the one with "ow/w" on heritage last month?  hm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-6-WHITE-1st-Wolverine-Nov-1974-Marvel/263718226054?epid=85340044&hash=item3d66d4c886%3Ag%3AmZMAAOSwkKBbCx4H&_udlo=10000&_sop=12&_sadis=15&_udhi=1%2C000%2C000&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_samihi=&_stpos=91604&_samilow=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_in_kw=1&_dmd=1&_nkw=Incredible+hulk+181&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&_ipg=200&redirect=mobile

You're really just putting me on though, right lou?  Lol :baiting:

-J.

It should be noted 3 of the last 4 highest sales on GPA happened to be white pages. Given a choice between two similar CGC copies I think most would probably choose the one with white pages.

34 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It should be noted 3 of the last 4 highest sales on GPA happened to be white pages. Given a choice between two similar CGC copies I think most would probably choose the one with white pages.

Most copies of this book in that grade have "white pages" on the label.  And I also think that most people know that the "PQ" CGC decides to put on the label is easily the most random and arbitrary thing that CGC does when they are grading a book.

-J.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:03 PM, jason4 said:

I would display without a  cover. Lots of these splash pages are great. I like tales of suspense 39 coverless image better than the cover image. 

Good point. Some splash pages look great. Just figured for the more sought after books, a complete copy was better to have. Coverless might be more budget friendly so a good option. 

On 8/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Most copies of this book in that grade have "white pages" on the label.  And I also think that most people know that the "NUMERICAL GRADE" CGC decides to put on the label is easily the most random and arbitrary thing that CGC does when they are grading a book.

-J.

fixed

On 8/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Most copies of this book in that grade have "white pages" on the label.  And I also think that most people know that the "PQ" CGC decides to put on the label is easily the most random and arbitrary thing that CGC does when they are grading a book.

-J.

:frustrated: I don't think most people know this Jaydog. Why don't you explain yourself ? :baiting: :devil: