• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

2016 averages for CGC 8.5:  #181 = $2,350, #180 = $390: The #181 was 6 times the #180 price.

2017 averages for CGC 8.5:  #181 = $2,526, #180 = $405: The #181 was 6.2 times the #180 price.

90 day averages for CGC 8.5: #181 = $4,296, #180 = $648: The #181 is 6.6 times the #180 price.

If the earlier multiplier between #180 and #181 is going to hold around 6 to 6.2, then the #180 prices are currently a little low. hm

My brain likes your brain

15 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

My brain likes your brain

Plus anyone who owns a Hulk 181 has to own a Hulk 180 - it is literally the first appearance of the Character that said person obviously loves enough to spend a lot of Money on in buying Hulk 181 - I say this not to drudge up that debate, but rather I just don't get how one could own Hulk 181 and not 180 ........

Sadly right now I own 180 and not 181 hahahahahaha

I had a CGC 9.0 Marvel SuperHeroes #13 up on the "wall" at a con the other day & I was telling a guy I would gladly trade it for another graded 181.  The guy told me 181's are ready to plateau then drop in price because they are so common.  :roflmao:  I honestly hope they do LOL, I'll be sure to get a few more.  

Just for reference, I picked up a Hulk 180 9.2 White Pages off of Bob's website for $900 back in June.  At the time, it was $25 higher than the highest ever recorded price on GPA.  Last copy sold for $1320. 

Personally, I'm not a flipper, but I wanted the Hulk 180 part of my collection .... and it only made sense it went up, as 181s are going up.  I like that 6 multiplier rule in the above post!

The market spoke on the true import of 180 when the original art for Wolverine's first appearance and introduction in 180 sold for over $650K.  I don't think any interior page of 181 would match that.  Heck, Neal Adams' cover for GL/GA 76 and Miller's cover for DKR 2 couldn't get close to that price.  We all know 180 is the true first appearance.  It is undervalued relative to 181, but will remain so in a CGC world.  

46 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The market spoke on the true import of 180 when the original art for Wolverine's first appearance and introduction in 180 sold for over $650K.  I don't think any interior page of 181 would match that.  Heck, Neal Adams' cover for GL/GA 76 and Miller's cover for DKR 2 couldn't get close to that price.  We all know 180 is the true first appearance.  It is undervalued relative to 181, but will remain so in a CGC world.  

Any interior page of 181 might not match that, but I bet the cover would crack a million IMHO (of course I don't have any original art, so my opinion might not count for much).

10 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

Any interior page of 181 might not match that, but I bet the cover would crack a million IMHO (of course I don't have any original art, so my opinion might not count for much).

From a collector's point of view -- I think I rather have the Hulk 180 cameo OA, over the Hulk 181 Cover ----- Market probably says Hulk 181 Cover OA is worth more though.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Well, it's a good thing a single page of OA remains in its proper context and supports your assertion... oh, wait. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, it's a good thing a single page of OA remains in its proper context and supports your assertion... oh, wait. :facepalm:

What assertion are you disagreeing with?

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The market spoke on the true import of 180

Hard for me to understand why you wouldn't recognize that two buyers bidding up the first appearance of Wolverine OA in 180 to $650K, $200K more than GL/GA 76 cover, is not evidence of its true import.  But everyone's entitled to an opinion.

14 hours ago, Superman2006 said:

I’ve got a million for anyone looking to sell the cover;) Would go nicely with the cover to ASM 300. 

14 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

I’ve got a million for anyone looking to sell the cover;) Would go nicely with the cover to ASM 300. 

:whatthe:  What do you think the cover would sell for at auction, or do you prefer not to speculate since you don't want to tip your hand?

1 hour ago, Superman2006 said:
1 hour ago, dinesh_s said:

:whatthe:  What do you think the cover would sell for at auction, or do you prefer not to speculate since you don't want to tip your hand?

That's a whole ton of moolah for a recent cover.

The only cover that I would ever consider paying a whole $mill for would be the OA cover to Action Comics 1.  Now, that's a classic and iconic cover that most people in the world would remember.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

What's that you say..........it would take more than $10mill for the OA to that all-time iconic cover.  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
3 hours ago, Superman2006 said:
3 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

That's a whole ton of moolah for a recent cover.

The only cover that I would ever consider paying a whole $mill for would be the OA cover to Action Comics 1.  Now, that's a classic and iconic cover that most people in the world would remember.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

What's that you say..........it would take more than $10mill for the OA to that all-time iconic cover.  :flipbait:

Edited 1 hour ago by lou_fine

Yeah, if the original art to Action #1 had survived, it would sell for a monumental amount of cash.

That said, Wolverine is one of the most popular characters out there, and while hulk 181's are way more common than Action 1's (or even any of the silver age mega keys), original art is 1 of 1, and I don't think there is any other Wolverine themed original art that could rival the hulk 181 cover. Personally, I'd probably put the Hulk 180 page at a solid #2 spot. While you or I might not pay (or in my case be able to pay) a cool mill plus for the Hulk 181 cover original art, it put up to auction I bet it wouldn't have any problem hitting that mark. Caveats: I don't own any original art, and from what little I've followed there may not have been any other original art that has cracked a million, or if there were, I'm guessing there weren't a lot of such items, but I give that it is the Wolverine piece to own, and it is 1 of 1, I would think that the Hulk 181 cover would hit that mark...

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Hard for me to understand why you wouldn't recognize that two buyers bidding up the first appearance of Wolverine OA in 180 to $650K, $200K more than GL/GA 76 cover, is not evidence of its true import.  But everyone's entitled to an opinion.

It's hard for me to understand how you don't understand a basic concept like context.