• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Looks like he immediately re-sold it for $9,900.

I'm not sure about this seller. According to GPA there's been 2 other 181s along with his 9.4 that have been relisted right after supposedly being sold. I think around the same time as his 9.4 was relisted. Seems a bit suspect to me 

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'm not sure about this seller. According to GPA there's been 2 other 181s along with his 9.4 that have been relisted right after supposedly being sold. I think around the same time as his 9.4 was relisted. Seems a bit suspect to me 

Perhaps it might have been won at auction by a shill.

I've been watching all the 181 ebuy sales and there is some definite shenanigans going on with that seller. For one low feedback winners and runner ups who seemingly don't pay after bidding it up then its back up in a couple of days. The 9.0 cream already over 6K looks legit as far as I can tell. Lots of bidders for a Cream Bronze.  PS It was my 8.0 that sold for 3900 on Sunday. That is what an honest auction gets.

Edited by kc2112

8 hours ago, wolviefrk said:

the cream page 9.0 he has up i sold to him last week for 5100. If i would have been aware of this  i would have sold to someone else .   FYI he has the cream page 9.0 up for auction and it is up to 6350 with 5 days to go    

6 hours ago, kc2112 said:

I've been watching all the 181 ebuy sales and there is some definite shenanigans going on with that seller. For one low feedback winners and runner ups who seemingly don't pay after bidding it up then its back up in a couple of days. The 9.0 cream already over 6K looks legit as far as I can tell. Lots of bidders for a Cream Bronze.  PS It was my 8.0 that sold for 3900 on Sunday. That is what an honest auction gets.

If that gets relisted as well then it'll be obvious this guy's a shill.

Meanwhile all this has propelled most other sellers to up their BIN prices on eBay... This (bleep) is crazy!

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Meanwhile all this has propelled most other sellers to up their BIN prices on eBay... This (bleep) is crazy!

Hmmmmm - its almost like there is a lot of speculation and market manipulation going on ........ :)

Same thing happened with a Seller of a 7.0 at the end of July beginning of August - same copy sold three times on ebay (maybe non-paying bidders each time).  I also question the $4K sale for a 7.0 after it had leveled off at around $2900-3200 - especially with 8.0s only selling for $4k recently.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

31 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Hmmmmm - its almost like there is a lot of speculation and market manipulation going on ........ :)

Same thing happened with a Seller of a 7.0 at the end of July beginning of August - same copy sold three times on ebay (maybe non-paying bidders each time).  I also question the $4K sale for a 7.0 after it had leveled off at around $2900-3200 - especially with 8.0s only selling for $4k recently.

I think its a combination of several things eg: The comic was a little undervalued a few months back (opinion) - A few bidding wars that went real high (if they actually were legit) - some shenanigans from a few sellers (assumption but seems to be the case) - And a current legitimate buying frenzy by those who think it will keep going up. .......The Cream 9.0 at 6,350 right now looks like a legit bidding war by people who aren't familiar with auction tactics, but if it does get re-listed after its over then the seller if definitely playing games. Just my humble opinion

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Holy Canoli! :whatthe:

The 9.8 on comiclink just closed at $32.5k.

This book has officially moved to the "inferno" category.  

-J.

What will stun me is the trickle down grade by grade, when people think that it is in such abundant supply. Is that common knowledge? I need to look at the census again sometime and do a breakdown.

It's hard for me to think it won't plateau, but probably not anytime soon :foryou:

44 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What will stun me is the trickle down grade by grade, when people think that it is in such abundant supply. Is that common knowledge? I need to look at the census again sometime and do a breakdown.

It's hard for me to think it won't plateau, but probably not anytime soon :foryou:

I was watching that as well, GSX1 9.8 CGC SS sold at a record 9.8 price for $12,500 today.   Amazing H181 price.  Looks like Bronze Age books are the new silver age IMO for growth.

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

CL181 9.8 is back at all time high price levels of a few years ago when they'd sell for 30K+

The recent 9.8 buyers in the low/mid 20s must be enjoying the moment.

Same for GSX 9.8.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

CL181 9.8 is back at all time high price levels of a few years ago when they'd sell for 30K+

If I am not mistaken, I believe it was more than just a few years ago.  

Wasn't it something like 15 years ago or thereabouts that it cracked the $30K mark and has come down ever since until this just completed CL auction?

Does anybody here remember the year and at what price point the $30K+ copy sold for?  hm

2 hours ago, wolviefrk said:

looks like the bid retractions are starting early

retracted  delete.jpg

current bids 6100 and 6200 look like definite shill bids. the 4 and 38 feedback bidders. The 38 feedback guy is the one bidding all his 181 up and up. Bidder 159 feedback looks suspicious there also.

Edited by kc2112

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wasn't it something like 15 years ago or thereabouts that it cracked the $30K mark and has come down ever since until this just completed CL auction?

Does anybody here remember the year and at what price point the $30K+ copy sold for?  hm

Among the sales recorded in GPA is one signed by Stan and sold for $32K back in 2009.  The old record sales on Comiclink aren't included, of course.

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Among the sales recorded in GPA is one signed by Stan and sold for $32K back in 2009.

A friend of mine bought that copy. And yes, by a "few years back" I meant circa 2010

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That is a record GPA high for a blue label 9.8 by about $5k (prior GPA high is also from this year).

-J.