• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:o A 4.0 Off-white to White pages just popped for $2700. I mention it because I just saw this price on a 4.0 on a respected dealer's newsletter and thought they were optimistic..... 

A 4.0 sold for $3,500 in July. The next one sold for $1,750 though. Then the last two were $2,051 and $2,325. So $2,700 seems close to par with the current rise.

18 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

This may sound dumb and yes, I do have GPA and no, I’m not trying to stir the pot but, do we think that this book has sort of plateaued in mid to low grades?  Or is it still booming?

I really don't know what to make of it lol

I think that lower grades are just now coming to the updated market, along with qualified labels...

If a 4.0 can sell for $2700 and a 7.5 can sit for a while at $4000, I'm not sure what to say....

Why that 7.5 is not priced at $3,999 idk either ??? if they wanted it to sell...

I think it is all still going up, personally, as people although sparingly are willing to part with it in higher grades. As higher grades are still going higher each day, I think the lower end won't settle until higher grades do.

My limited scope says that 7.0 to 8.5 is stagnant and is still trying to find its rhythm. Lower grades have momentum. Higher grades are inching. All upward.

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I really don't know what to make of it lol

I think that lower grades are just now coming to the updated market, along with qualified labels...

If a 4.0 can sell for $2700 and a 7.5 can sit for a while at $4000, I'm not sure what to say....

Why that 7.5 is not priced at $3,999 idk either ??? if they wanted it to sell...

I think it is all still going up, personally, as people although sparingly are willing to part with it in higher grades. As higher grades are still going higher each day, I think the lower end won't settle until higher grades do.

My limited scope says that 7.0 to 8.5 is stagnant and is still trying to find its rhythm. Lower grades have momentum. Higher grades are inching. All upward.

Thus making 7.0 to 8.5 the current sweet spot? Maybe those books have the most potential upswing looking at %increase a year from now. Best bang for the buck? Who knows

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

If THIS ever comes to pass, IH 180/181 will go thermonuclear. 

MARK RUFFALO DISCUSSES A WOLVERINE/HULK CROSSOVER WITH HUGH JACKMAN

Considering that Ruffalo can't seem to keep his mouth shut about anything (i.e. spoiling Infinity War a year before it came out), this may have already been decided...

“It’d be cool to see – I mean, people talk a lot about Wolverine and Hulk hooking up, I think that would be a really great combo… And I love Hugh, and it would be cool to do something with him, if he’s up to doing it. He’s always teased Hulk versus Wolverine would be pretty fun.”

Would be epic, but regardless of it being Ruffalo...this is meaningless.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, Jaydogrules said:
On 8/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, namisgr said:

Been there, done that.  Unless since then you've identified a group of collectors willing to pay more for books with cream to off white page quality that otherwise have the same grade and overall eye appeal as their white paged alternatives.  Because there's unquestionably a group willing to pay more for the latter than the former.

Oh spare me, despite your obvious attempt to conflate issues (as you so often do), you've never once proven anything.  And the reason why you never have is becaus A) it is impossible to either quantify or prove, and B) It is in fact demonstrably false and easily disproven, as I have time and again with countless links that handily dispute your patently false and absurd premise.  

It's been proven over decades of collectors and literally 1000's of sales.

You are literally the only one who disagrees. That in and of itself is telling, but not conclusive.

But the proof is in the pudding. Two identical books, side by side, with all other things being equal, the one with the nicer page quality will almost always (mostly) sell for more.

Nobody is saying it happens every time.

Wow. According to GPA, this CGC 9.4 copy sold for $5,593 on September 13: 

Certification Information

Certification #: 0948528001
Title: Incredible Hulk
Issue: 181
Issue Date: 11/74
Issue Year: 1974
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.4
Total Graded At: 507
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date: 03/30/2009
Category: Universal
Art Comments: Len Wein story
Herb Trimpe & Jack Abel art
Herb Trimpe cover
Key Comments: 1st full appearance of Wolverine.
Wendigo appearance.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Wow. According to GPA, this CGC 9.4 copy sold for $5,593 on September 13: 

A 9.0 cream/ow sold for 6550 couple of weeks before that so go figure? When the census is what it is here your going to have some wackadoo results like that 9.4 along with phony sales on eBay & other unavoidable shenanigans...