• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kimik said:

Wow. According to GPA, this CGC 9.4 copy sold for $5,593 on September 13: 

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

There's your issue right there...OW/W. It would have sold for more with White pages. (thumbsu

I have a 9.2 W...but I think I would trade it for a 9.2 OW/W with a better wrap...you can see 1/16” of white on the top couple of inches...anybody agree/disagree?...is there a higher premium on PQ or front cover appearance?

I don't think OW/W is the issue.  I would say if it was CREAM, then maybe it's an issue.

I would agree with above poster (JTD) - I would take a good wrap OW/W, over a mis-wrap White pager.  The premiums for hulk 181 starts, when you have White Pager with a perfect wrap.  It will fetch TOP DOLLARS.

But at the current rate of consumption for Hulk 181 ---- you just post it anywhere near GPA, and people will buy it almost INSTANTLY!

6 hours ago, JTD said:

I have a 9.2 W...but I think I would trade it for a 9.2 OW/W with a better wrap...you can see 1/16” of white on the top couple of inches...anybody agree/disagree?...is there a higher premium on PQ or front cover appearance?

It would have to be badly miswrapped for me to give up the white pages. Just my 2c

On 9/19/2018 at 4:02 AM, JTD said:

This book has a ton of copies out there.  Yes the demand is high but the supply is out there.  When the dust settles a decade or two from now the books with fresh inks and perfect wraps will separate themselves from the rest since they are just so tough to track down.  To answer your question I would take a perfect wrap ow/w without hesitation over a weak cover wrap w.  You won't ever read the book you will enjoy it in the cgc case.  Go with the one that looks the best in the case (thumbsu

Edited by rainmaker

On 9/19/2018 at 4:02 AM, JTD said:

it seems pretty clear that collectors buying graded books will pay a premium for the words WHITE PAGES on the case. i agree that a nice wrap with OW/W is a nicer looking item, but the market has spoken. particularly the less seasoned collectors don't seem very concerned with wraps, but page quality is right there on the label.  the wrap is a big deal on these here boards, but this is only a small section of the overall market for a giant book like this one, which even non collectors seem to want. 

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it seems pretty clear that collectors buying graded books will pay a premium for the words WHITE PAGES on the case. i agree that a nice wrap with OW/W is a nicer looking item, but the market has spoken. particularly the less seasoned collectors don't seem very concerned with wraps, but page quality is right there on the label.  the wrap is a big deal on these here boards, but this is only a small section of the overall market for a giant book like this one, which even non collectors seem to want. 

Agree. It's not always a simple choice between a badly wrapped white or a perfectly wrapped ow/w. In that case I would think most would go with the ow/w but there's a middle ground there. Often I see white copies that are not perfectly wrapped but not terrible either. I think the market overall takes the white pager with an okay wrap. Others can't control their OCD

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it seems pretty clear that collectors buying graded books will pay a premium for the words WHITE PAGES on the case. i agree that a nice wrap with OW/W is a nicer looking item, but the market has spoken. particularly the less seasoned collectors don't seem very concerned with wraps, but page quality is right there on the label.  the wrap is a big deal on these here boards, but this is only a small section of the overall market for a giant book like this one, which even non collectors seem to want. 

You do realize that "collectors" completely disprove this fallacy, literally on a daily basis, and with specific regards to this book, right ?

-J.

Had a fun chat with a local collector at the Edmonton Expo this past weekend. He asked what a Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 Marks Jeweler's insert would be worth in the current market since he has one. I said $30-40K in the current market. What do you guys think?

Edited by kimik

7500 for a 9.0 white yesterday on a best offer. Will see if this is legit. The seller has high eBay feedback & the bidder as well so that's a good sign but this copy has already been relisted once by the seller after the last "sale". So we shall see

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-0-WHITE-PAGES-WP-1974-Bronze-Age-1st-WOLVERINE-/202444524201

_20180925_023218.JPG

On 9/25/2018 at 7:00 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

if this goes through, this will be a record price for this book in 9.0. hence, the reason i accepted the offer! and it also attests to the significance of white pages to many buyers. there are copies available for a good deal less in the same grade, but without the WP designation. 

Yep, there are collectors who seek out white paged copies and are willing to pay more for them.  Unless there's an equal number of collectors who'd pay more for a cream to off-white or off-white copy, all other things being equal, then by the simple-to-understand law of averages copies with white pages will fetch a higher average price overall as a group than copies without.  (thumbsu

16 hours ago, namisgr said:

Yep, there are collectors who seek out white paged copies and are willing to pay more for them.  Unless there's an equal number of collectors who'd pay more for a cream to off-white or off-white copy, all other things being equal, then by the simple-to-understand law of averages copies with white pages will fetch a higher average price overall as a group than copies without.  (thumbsu

Prove it.

-J.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:03 PM, tdotcbc84 said:

It went for $7644.  Just $100 more than this guy's 9.0.

That suggests that his sale was an outlier (for now, at least), irrespective of the random and generally meaningless "PQ" on the label.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules