• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2018 at 1:37 AM, Frank Mozz said:

I would have to kindly disagree, page quality & even color and centering will always have an impact on the book with some high-end buyers, as to GPA not sure who its generally accepted with on a book that been hot for well over a year, but a quick look still confirms 10/12k is HARDLY way out of wack. 

But if given a choice between cgc 8 which is cream to off white vs cgc 7-7.5 which is offwhite/ white pages, I would still prefer cgc 8 ( cream to off white pages) . I think the grading is more impt?

1 hour ago, Juaks said:

But if given a choice between cgc 8 which is cream to off white vs cgc 7-7.5 which is offwhite/ white pages, I would still prefer cgc 8 ( cream to off white pages) . I think the grading is more impt?

Yeah it's been established that grade would win out most of time. They're not debating importance of the grade they're debating the question as to whether better page quality would command a higher premium on same graded incredible hulk 181.

It was asserted in this thread that page quality (in same grades) doesn't make a difference with a book that is super red hot like IH #181. Obviously others disagreed

On 11/2/2018 at 8:14 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah it's been established that grade would win out most of time. They're not debating importance of the grade they're debating the question as to whether better page quality would command a higher premium on same graded incredible hulk 181.

It was asserted in this thread that page quality (in same grades) doesn't make a difference with a book that is super red hot like IH #181. Obviously others disagreed

Speaking for myself, for a not-that-old-and-easy-to-find book like IH 181, I would rather take a 7.5 with OW/W pages over an 8.0 with C/OW pages.  And I would rather take a 7.0 that is perfectly centered over an 8.0 that is off-centered.  That said, yes, the market rewards a higher price to the book with the higher grade.

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

Speaking for myself, for a not-that-old-and-easy-to-find book like IH 181, I would rather take a 7.5 with OW/W pages over an 8.0 with C/OW pages.  And I would rather take a 7.0 that is perfectly centered over an 8.0 that is off-centered.  That said, yes, the market rewards a higher price to the book with the higher grade.

Actually page quality is subjective. And off white page in cgc casing does not mean the page quality will remain. It may Become cream also. So I think most pple prefer grade over page quality? 

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

Speaking for myself, for a not-that-old-and-easy-to-find book like IH 181

Well I'm in my mid 30's so anything older than me I'd consider old but I guess "old" is relative. Anyhow your point on eye appeal is fair. I'd agree with you on cream pages but not on taking lower grade due to centering.

My 2 cents,

grade is the most important aspect unless there’s a drastic sway

page color is the next one, white page issues always go for a premium and I personally love them.

centering, eye appeal etc, that’s all to taste. For me I look at the value of the book first and foremost. If there is a 4.0 TS 39, I’m not too concerned about general eye appeal but there are things that I hate and will deter me from buying such as names written on cover, pieces missing, etc.

i was lucky enough to pick up an IH 181, 9.4 white pages a year ago for 5k. One of my favourite books.

I really feel the page quality, color, centering ect tends to be a bit more of an important issue the higher you go up on the grading scale.  I don't see it being as big an issue on mid to lower grade copies of this book at the moment but when you start to get into 92-98 money I do think it can and does have an impact with SOME buyers. I would note that marvel chipping on other keys does have an impact with some buyers on books like Hulk 1 and AF 15 even in mid to lower grades imho.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:51 AM, carefulsum said:

This is obviously a fake sale right? Why would anyone want to take the time to fake a sale like this, what's the gain?

IH181.PNG.2b3f0e751f19c86f51163099708d410c.PNGIH1812.thumb.PNG.c0f0cf26ceb4a007c5171a6e4b607f75.PNG

I saw that also. Definitely left me scratching my head and also fantasizing about being the buyer at that price. It was sold from the Russian Federation. Could be collusion. Congress should investigate.🙄

Who knows, could be a real sale with a seller not knowing what they actually have (which still happens from time to time) or someone wanting to drop GPA.  A GPA rep will contact the seller to verify its a real sale.  Not sure how valid it is since a mere 'yes its a real sale' would be good enough for them. 

17 minutes ago, Martin4 said:

I saw that also. Definitely left me scratching my head and also fantasizing about being the buyer at that price. It was sold from the Russian Federation. Could be collusion. Congress should investigate.🙄

Sold for about 1/6th current market.  I'd imagine it's a fake sale and the seller doesn't own the book and won't be shipping the book.

2 minutes ago, Martin4 said:
55 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It's listed on GPA as a "fake" sale.

Why on earth would someone do this?

It's Russia, sellers from there and China "sell" like this all the time trying to get the money and run... I don't think that it ever pans out for them though...

On 10/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, MGsimba77 said:
On 10/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, Frank Mozz said:

I 100% agree the book may be on a bit of a downturn ( after the last years its bound to level off a bit) just to soon to know, I would also note the sale on eBay was on bids which in my experience tend to be apx 8/10% lower than bin sales in most cases.

This is the problem with a "hot" high census book in mid grades. Sellers rush to auction them off only to end up with a lousy final bid. In that case it's always going to be a bidder's market since mid graded 181s are auctioned relatively often. All a bidder has to do is wait a little while for the next auction.

Imo the only grade that would make some sense to auction off at all is a 9.8 in a high profile auction house other than eBay! Otherwise just have some patience and put a "buy it now" price on it with best offers. Seems like sellers are allergic to patience these days

I actually believe the classic auction format is a much better reflection of the actual value for a comic book.

Especially since I believe the BIN format inherently tends to skew the price upwards as you don't know how long the book had to sit there before getting that final price.  More importantly, although it does take that one completed sale into account, it doesn't take into account all of the other countless non-sales that doesn't take place since they couldn't find a buyer even though these other equivalent graded copies might have been listed either at exactly the same price or possibly even at a slightly lower price.  hm

On 10/29/2018 at 4:47 AM, Frank Mozz said:
On 10/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, Lazyboy said:

Why? If the book is really so great and hot, auctions should sell very well.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the book has been red-hot over the past year or so. However, the idea that each and every sale is going to be a home run is ridiculous. ( if you research the data this is true even with the holiest of grails Action 1 & Tec 27). I would also note that after buying and selling on eBay for 18 yrs I have found your rolling the dice each and every time you put a big ticket book up at auction, there are just so many variables positives and negative either way but overall I have found BIN prices tend to be higher than auction on not only comics but most items sold on eBay.

Of course BIN prices would be normally be higher than true auction prices because most sellers tend to monitor GPA to see what books are going for and then add a small incremental amount to their BIN price on the assumption that they would not like to sell their book at what they think is lower than market price.

At the same time, if you really want your book to sell at auction, the sell through rate for books auctioned off on the bid format is usually 100% as evident by what we see on the various auction sites like Hedritage, CL, CC, and eBay.  Any bets that the sell through rates on books done using the BIN format and priced at GPA levels are a mere fraction of this and you would be lucky if your book manages to find a buyer in the same amount of time as a bid auction format.  hm

18 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Who knows, could be a real sale with a seller not knowing what they actually have (which still happens from time to time) or someone wanting to drop GPA.  A GPA rep will contact the seller to verify its a real sale.  Not sure how valid it is since a mere 'yes its a real sale' would be good enough for them. 

That same seller was trying to sell an X-men #1 4.5 for $1400, which was reported on GPA. But then it recently got taken down as well.