• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Prices starting to drop a little bit, no?

seems like it. when one gets as hot as this book, there comes a time when almost everyone is trying to sell a copy. we've all seen that if we watch the 'for sale' boards here for example. the flood in the marketplace tends to put a slight damper on all but the very nicest copies. still, it's hardly crashing. i doubt that prices will fall too significantly, but i don't see them going up in most grades for awhile again. not talking about 9.8s-- those are a different animal and always have been, if you look at GPA graphs. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

seems like it. when one gets as hot as this book, there comes a time when almost everyone is trying to sell a copy. we've all seen that if we watch the 'for sale' boards here for example. the flood in the marketplace tends to put a slight damper on all but the very nicest copies. still, it's hardly crashing. i doubt that prices will fall too significantly, but i don't see them going up in most grades for awhile again. not talking about 9.8s-- those are a different animal and always have been, if you look at GPA graphs. 

The longer that a market has shown strong growth results, there are more people who have "bought in" at those higher prices... it's harder for a market to crash if a big portion of the available copies are in the hands of people who bought recently and refuse to take a loss.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Right now Hulk 181 is facing the seasonal headwinds we see pretty much year in year out in the comic market. Prices tend to run up from March through to September, then take a breather in October - mid December, in most years. January/February is hit and miss due to Christmas spending.

Was about to post the same thing, lol... on the flip side of the coin I just bought a very well priced one only because the ebay/internet sales tax goes into effect Jan 1st in my state and I wanted to get one back in my safe before that happened, saved me an extra 5-700$... perfect time to buy in the pre-holiday lull  ;)

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Right now Hulk 181 is facing the seasonal headwinds we see pretty much year in year out in the comic market. Prices tend to run up from March through to September, then take a breather in October - mid December, in most years. January/February is hit and miss due to Christmas spending.

That's the very reason I picked up a 6.0 and 6.5 over these past couple weeks.  The same price plateau hit late last year, until prices really started to take off again when this year's con season started up in earnest.  So I'm certainly hoping we see a similar series of events this year.  If not, I've still got two copies stashed for the future.  :grin:

I know I for one have no extra money for comics during holiday time. And most common people are not going to be buying someone a 181 for Christmas at these prices. 

Most books take a hit until people start getting their tax returns in late feb and March. I would buy a 181 now while it’s dipping if you don’t have one already.

I don’t think the higher graded books take a hit over the holidays. People who spend over 30k on a 9.8 aren’t too concerned with Christmas bills. For the lower graded books you might have a point, I haven’t checked but I will keep an eye on this because I bought a vg copy about 3 months ago for $1300.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's Russia, sellers from there and China "sell" like this all the time trying to get the money and run... I don't think that it ever pans out for them though...

Yeah this was a Russia ebay account with 9 feedback on it for small stuff... also "sold" an AF 15, ASM 1 and a couple other books shortly after this... but no negative feedback on the account yet from these sales, so... too early to officially call it fake, haha...

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like it managed to fetched only one more bid as it ended up at $38,400 by the time it was all said and done.  (thumbsu

Around 4K more than gpa’s 90 days avg. not too bad. I tried bidding for it but obviously got outbid >:(

This 9.6 went for 14400 today. Curious why the auction dates on the Heritage listing indicated Thursday Nov 15 to Saturday Nov 17 if it was going to end today? Seems a little confusing! 

There was another 9.6 on eBay recently went for ~14000 but to no one's surprise was relisted. Any 181 that "sells" on eBay is suspect as far as I'm concerned

_20181115_204621.JPG

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

This 9.6 went for 14400 today. Curious why the auction dates on the Heritage listing indicated Thursday Nov 15 to Saturday Nov 17 if it was going to end today? Seems a little confusing! 

There was another 9.6 on eBay recently went for ~14000 but to no one's surprise was relisted. Any 181 that "sells" on eBay is suspect as far as I'm concerned

_20181115_204621.JPG

$38k for a 9.8 and $24K LESS for a 9.6 (which is only about $4k more than a 9.4)?

Pretty obvious which grade is the biggest bargain at this point.  

-J.

39 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

$38k for a 9.8 and $24K LESS for a 9.6 (which is only about $4k more than a 9.4)?

Pretty obvious which grade is the biggest bargain at this point.  

-J.

Take a look at GPA. That's actually a bit more separation than 9.4-9.2, more than 9.2-9.0...9.0-8.5 & so on... they're more or less clustered together other than 9.8 which is far & away highest

38K for a 9.8 is :screwy:

Used to sell close to that price then dropped all the way down to around 13K until just a couple years ago. Guess that cycle has done full turn.

Edited by Gotham Kid

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

38K for a 9.8 is :screwy:

Used to sell close to that price then dropped all the way down to around 13K until just a couple years ago. Guess that cycle has done full turn.

if one just looks at the GPA graphs for all grades other than 9.8 on this book they are more or less straight lines up, over 12 years. 9.8 is a totally different beast, and as gotham kid pointed out, you would have been sitting around for 9 years before the price of your copy got back to around what you paid for it in 2009. now it's popped past that. always tricky when there are this many graded copies of a 9.8. on the other hand, people have been saying that about this book in all grades-- "too many copies out there!" so, perhaps the 9.8 market is finally making it's move again. wonder if it will be another 9 years before prices come back to where they are today. 

https://www.dacardworld.com/search?Search=incredible+hulk+181

:whatthe:

I have a Stan Lee SS that was a 2.5 coming back from being pressed (it's coming back a 3.0 :) ), and while I'll be ecstatic to have it back (as I sent it to be pressed before Stan's passing), even I don't think that it should be worth more than my 7.5 ???lol