• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did upgrade my IH #180 to an 8.5....

and if I would have got the 9.4 last spring....

then it would have ended up being a 4.0-5.0 GSXM #1 instead of an 7.0....idk I'm trying to put lipstick on it haha

but you did alright!

Last January I had a decision to make - Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 or Batman #181 CGC 9.0 + Detective #180 CGC 6.5 from Bob Storms. I went for the Bat/Tec combo since Hulk #181 had been relatively flat for a couple of years and I figured I had time to get a CGC 9.4 copy for the collection. doh!

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Last January I had a decision to make - Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 or Batman #181 CGC 9.0 + Detective #180 CGC 6.5 from Bob Storms. I went for the Bat/Tec combo since Hulk #181 had been relatively flat for a couple of years and I figured I had time to get a CGC 9.4 copy for the collection. doh!

Did you get any hulk 181? lol I think you'll still be good :) 

This Sales Tax thing is going to end up being O.o for any high grade bronze key's for me

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 minutes ago, kimik said:

This Sales Tax thing is going to end up being O.o for any high grade bronze key's for me

Of course a #181 9.4 is crazy money now but :eek: :sorry: 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I picked up a Hulk #181 CGC 7.0 later on that I sold in the fall for a profit. I am looking at a 9.4 this year now. 

On the flip side, I did time buying CGC 9.4 copies of ASM #129 CGC 9.4, GSX #1 CGC 9.4, TOD #10 and WWBN #32, well last year. It looks like the other BA Marvel keys are poised to pop this year on the coattails of Hulk #181. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

12 minutes ago, kimik said:

I picked up a Hulk #181 CGC 7.0 later on that I sold in the fall for a profit. I am looking at a 9.4 this year now. 

On the flip side, I did time buying CGC 9.4 copies of ASM #129 CGC 9.4, GSX #1 CGC 9.4, TOD #10 and WWBN #32, well last year. It looks like the other BA Marvel keys are poised to pop this year on the coattails of Hulk #181. :wishluck:

there's a couple of other bronze marvel books that is off your list :wishluck:

1 minute ago, Spiderturtle said:

there's a couple of other bronze marvel books that is off your list :wishluck:

There is a reason I left them off.......... I am still accumulating copies.  (thumbsu

Edited by kimik

A 9.8 copy currently sitting at $34,000 on Comic Link. A little high for this early in the auction isn't it? Is that the white page effect? The CVA sticker? Or is there a bump for the pedigree?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Focused%3D1%26f1%3Darp%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Dcoiniden%2Ci.title%2Ci.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Da.NoOfBids%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1297653&id=1297653&itemType=0

2 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

A 9.8 copy currently sitting at $34,000 on Comic Link. A little high for this early in the auction isn't it? Is that the white page effect? The CVA sticker? Or is there a bump for the pedigree?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Focused%3D1%26f1%3Darp%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Dcoiniden%2Ci.title%2Ci.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Da.NoOfBids%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1297653&id=1297653&itemType=0

I would venture a guess that the Pedigree inspired the early bidding.  CVA is a complete joke.

Maybe it is just finally moving to close the gap with HOS #92 CGC 9.8? :devil:

HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 CGC 9.8
1971, 1ST SWAMP THING APPEARANCE!
SOLD FOR $44,999 (3/2018)
RECORD SALE PRICE!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1238490&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

RAD831BC2018215_102712.jpg

Edited by kimik

18 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I would venture a guess that the Pedigree inspired the early bidding.  CVA is a complete joke.

Is there only one copy designated Mile High II pedigree? Wasn't this the collection that included multiple copies?

Edited by dinesh_s

19 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

First off, that is an exceptional looking copy. If you read the blurb on Clink about this book, it was hand picked by John Verzyl directly from Chuck, saying it was the best copy he had ever seen. While many others do not concur, I do give some creedence to the CVA sticker, it certainly doesn't hurt.  There may be a little play here for a CGC review and possible 9.9 on this book. While I sense the Hulk 181 marketplace has peaked for now, I think this specific book easily hits 40K. 

1 minute ago, dinesh_s said:

Is there only one copy designated Mile High II pedigree? Wasn't this the collection that included multiple copies?

Yes, if memory serves it was a massive haul with multiple copies of issues.  I'm not sure how CGC handled that in designating the Pedigree, maybe someone in the know can answer that.  There is the possibility that this copy was the only 9.8 out of the bunch, or at least the only one that was submitted for grading.

5 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

It's the CVA. They've gotten higher bids on comiclink. Some cases way way higher. Not sure mile high pedigree would command such a premium. Suscha news maybe but I don't think any other pedigree would

Edited by MGsimba77

4 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

Yes, there were multiple copies but I don't think CGC gives the pedigree notation on MH2 amymore. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

First off, that is an exceptional looking copy. If you read the blurb on Clink about this book, it was hand picked by John Verzyl directly from Chuck, saying it was the best copy he had ever seen. While many others do not concur, I do give some creedence to the CVA sticker, it certainly doesn't hurt.  There may be a little play here for a CGC review and possible 9.9 on this book. While I sense the Hulk 181 marketplace has peaked for now, I think this specific book easily hits 40K. 

At least from the photo, it looks like that slight wear to the lower left corner would preclude this one from a 9.9.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

At least from the photo, it looks like that slight wear to the lower left corner would preclude this one from a 9.9.

I think you are correct. 9.9's usually need all 4 corners to be razor sharp. However, in the right hands, the corner may be 'fixed'.  :baiting:

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Yeah that & the marvel banner seems a bit misaligned. It's a tad lower on the right side. There's also some translucency on the white hulk logo & the back cover but it's likely from the old holder. I'd doubt the wear on that corner could be dealt with in pressing. Not a 9.9 candidate. Likely getting a premium for the CVA

Just now, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah that & the marvel banner seems a bit misaligned. It's a tad lower on the right side. There's also some translucency on the white hulk logo & the back cover but it's likely from the old holder. I'd doubt the wear on that corner could be dealt with in pressing. Not a 9.9 candidate. Likely getting a premium for the CVA

Hard to believe there is that many suckers out there.  I've always said CVA is a joke, and based on some recent examples posted around the boards, it seems like they'll sticker anything.

22 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Hard to believe there is that many suckers out there.  I've always said CVA is a joke, and based on some recent examples posted around the boards, it seems like they'll sticker anything.

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe if it hits $40k, the CVA sticker doesn't hurt but I doubt it is the reason for the extra bump.  It has a nicely wrapped spine, a premium vs other 9.8s that are missing this trait.  One can see the book's eye appeal with or without the cva sticker pointing it out

Edited by Spiderturtle

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Yes, if memory serves it was a massive haul with multiple copies of issues.  I'm not sure how CGC handled that in designating the Pedigree, maybe someone in the know can answer that.  

Mile High II is not recognized by CGC as a pedigree.  It's not on the list of pedigrees on the CGC home page 'pedigree' link.  It shouldn't be, since it was a warehouse find of pallets of books that never made their way to the news stand.