• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

At first, CGC acknowledged MH2 as a pedigree but then changed their stance, not sure why. This is an olde label. If it even got reholdered the ped would be dropped.

Yes. The only pedigree that seems to attract a premium for Hulk books at least is Suscha news. Someone wondered if the high bidding was due to the pedigree or the CVA/eye appeal. I'd doubt the MH2 attracts anything. We'll see where it ends up. Highest on GPA was 39k in October does anyone know if there been any higher sales on C-link since they don't report to GPA?

I know they've had 9.8s auctioned recently but don't recall their final bids?

On 1/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, Spiderturtle said:

I believe if it hits $40k, the CVA sticker doesn't hurt but I doubt it is the reason for the extra bump.  It has a nicely wrapped spine, a premium vs other 9.8s that are missing this trait.  One can see the book's eye appeal with or without the cva sticker pointing it out

Haven't there been others with similar eye appeal sold recently? What did they go for? 

23 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Haven't there been others with similar eye appeal sold recently? What did they go for? 

2 nicely wrapped 9.8 sold for $38,400 and $39,000 within the last 3 months.  One of them belongs to a board member I believe.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7192-91069.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Edited by Spiderturtle

10 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

2 nicely wrapped 9.8 sold for $38,400 and $39,000 within the last 3 months.  One of them belongs to a board member I believe.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7192-91069.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Thanks for the link. That one is actually better looking than the one currently being auctioned. Edit: At least from what I can see in the scan. 

Edited by MGsimba77

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Thanks for the link. That one is actually better looking than the one currently being auctioned. Edit: At least from what I can see in the scan. 

heritage has the best pics of the 3 different auction houses.  they are bright and vibrant.  that being said, I've been disappointed getting books back from heritage on some occasion(pics look better on website than in real life).  they have better lighting on their pics.  someone mentioned they take pictures instead of scanning their books.  a white light brings the best out in regards to color 

Edited by Spiderturtle

23 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

heritage has the best pics of the 3 different auction houses.  they are bright and vibrant.  that being said, I've been disappointed getting books back from heritage on some occasion(pics look better on website than in real life).  they have better lighting on their pics.  someone mentioned they take pictures instead of scanning their books.  a white light brings the best out in regards to color 

This is true. I have been disappointed with some Heritage books in hand. Someone on the Boards recommended looking closely at the color/brightness of the label to judge the accuracy of the pic. It does help but it's not a sure thing.  As a side note, though I do not seek out the CVA stickered books, every one I have received looked great in hand, always pleased. 

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Interesting. I suppose their scans can be helpful in determining possible upgrade candidates due to the high resolution close up ability. But damn that was a helluva 9.8 there you linked! I just avoid Heritage due to the sales tax they charge in Florida since they have an office here :(

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

+1 Been disappointed as well...

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I've actually never looked at their pricing structure till now.  Its an even bigger scam than I thought, people are actually paying that much for a 5 minute evaluation they could do themselves?  CVA's profit margin would probably make the Shark Tank blush.

It's not just IH181 that's moving, it seems anything related to Wolverine is being speculated insanely. Look at Foom #2 (which some believe is Wolverine's first appearance even before IH180 albeit in a "prototype form") is shooting up like crazy in just the past 30 days.

Talk about Tulip Mania!

Foom2.thumb.PNG.be85adb2c9824741c9840f822982fc7c.PNG

On 1/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, Callaway29 said:

+1 Been disappointed as well...

Heritage in general is usually disappointing, but I made a recent purchase and was very surprised at how white the book wasn't compared to the scanned image. 

10 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Curious, does anyone know what the sweet spot grade to purchase this book is right now?

The highest grade your wallet allows :) (I'm actually being serious).  With the exception of maybe 9.8, as that's a completely different game lol

On 1/19/2019 at 2:08 PM, carefulsum said:

It's not just IH181 that's moving, it seems anything related to Wolverine is being speculated insanely. Look at Foom #2 (which some believe is Wolverine's first appearance even before IH180 albeit in a "prototype form") is shooting up like crazy in just the past 30 days.

Talk about Tulip Mania!

Foom2.thumb.PNG.be85adb2c9824741c9840f822982fc7c.PNG

FOOM 2 is an interesting book. I dont' think many speculators go for it, it's truly for the FAN AT HEART!

16 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Curious, does anyone know what the sweet spot grade to purchase this book is right now?

9.0-9.4 looks like it is plateauing a bit after the big run up last year. 

11 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You said what now??????  And 6 hours to go... :ohnoez:

24 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Looks like the high bidder put in a bid above the high to protect himself :whatthe:  It appears valid since Comiclink would kick out the bidder if they knew he couldn't pay for it by now.  couple of hours have passed and the bid is still standing

Edited by Spiderturtle